• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I just looked at the Galco web site and don't see the AnkleGlove listed. I have several of them for several guns I have or have had over the years. Maybe I should carry a gun that way again as a bug. Lately, I have been carrying my S&W M&P Compact 9 or my full sized M&P 9 which is my duty gun. With the snow today I don't know if an all gun would be smart.

I take that back they have the Ankle Glove but it seems to only be for the revolvers.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I got mine from the police supply place over on the east side. [strike]I think it is a Gould & Goodrich.[/strike] It is a DeSantis.

As mentioned upthread, it takes a bit longer to get to, but I wore it regularly for about a year. Kinda like with IWB, I never forgot it was there, but I also got used to it. There were a couple times in long meetings that I worried about it creeping down, but for the most part it worked well.

Try whatever compact gun you want to use before you buy (if you can), to make sure it works. I was fortunate and was able to borrow a buddy's for a couple weeks before getting my own.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I got mine from the police supply place over on the east side. I think it is a Gould & Goodrich.

As mentioned upthread, it takes a bit longer to get to, but I wore it regularly for about a year. Kinda like with IWB, I never forgot it was there, but I also got used to it. There were a couple times in long meetings that I worried about it creeping down, but for the most part it worked well.

Try whatever compact gun you want to use before you buy (if you can), to make sure it works. I was fortunate and was able to borrow a buddy's for a couple weeks before getting my own.
    As far as the holster creeping down, for the Ankle Glove, Galco makes an additional calf strap that helps hold it up, similar to a garter belt, without the lace!
    Another holster to look at is the Alessi ankle holster. It's a bit spendier than the Galco, but I'm convinced the ankle glove is a fairly faithful copy of Lou Alessi's original.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The Galco Ankle Glove is the best Ankle holster I have tried. And at first, it's very awkward, but you get used to it fast.
    It does tend to slide down, but that's why you need to make sure it's resting on top of your shoe/boot.
    Another problem is that you quickly find out the the gun gets dirty faster and easier than carrying IWB. And certain jeans won't work, they all fit differently in the legs.

Also, the size of the gun matters too. I found out that a G43 works much better than a G26.

I have quit Ankle carrying for now. I go back and forth on it, it really isn't for me, but I want it to be.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I ankle carry a BUG 1-3x per week. It rests on top of a boot, otherwise I'd need a calf strap to hold it up.
    As others have said, the Galco Ankle Glove is one of the Cadillac models.
    However, if you want to try something less expensive to see if you like ankle carry before dropping the coin on the Galco, you might look at/try the DeSantis Apache.
    It's works fine with a G42 and has a good amount of "sheepskin" padding on the back making it a fairly comfortable mid-priced option.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I just looked at the Galco web site and don't see the AnkleGlove listed. I have several of them for several guns I have or have had over the years. Maybe I should carry a gun that way again as a bug. Lately, I have been carrying my S&W M&P Compact 9 or my full sized M&P 9 which is my duty gun. With the snow today I don't know if an all gun would be smart.

I take that back they have the Ankle Glove but it seems to only be for the revolvers.

They just have a picture of a revolver, they cover a huge variety of weapons both plastic and metal.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Ok everyone needs a ankle glove. I get it. Galco does not make a ankle glove for the shield that I can find. What would you run for a S&W Shield instead?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ok everyone needs a ankle glove. I get it. Galco does not make a ankle glove for the shield that I can find. What would you run for a S&W Shield instead?
    Galco ankle lite, or cop ankle band is all they make for the Shield. Or, Alessi makes their ankle rig for the Shield.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    For those that ankle carry, how is it with wearing tennis shoes? I don't wear dress shoes much, I'm usually wearing cross trainers from New Balance. I want to ankle carry, but only if it doesn't ride on the top of my shoe. Really don't want it seen.

Thanks!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For those that ankle carry, how is it with wearing tennis shoes? I don't wear dress shoes much, I'm usually wearing cross trainers from New Balance. I want to ankle carry, but only if it doesn't ride on the top of my shoe. Really don't want it seen.

Thanks!

This is kinda an awkward question, but what kind of calves do you have?

I have fairly muscular calves (yeah, that's a humblebrag), it mostly wore dress shoes and khakis, and didn't have much of a problem. I didn't walk much and didn't run at all.

If you get one that has the above-the calf suspender type thing, it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, checked last night and I have the DeSantis. It has a plastic loop for the suspender thing. (Will edit my earlier post.)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

Thanks!

I wear mine with tennis shoes and jeans all the time. I wear boot-cut jeans, and they are usually a little bit long on me, the gun rarely shows at all.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    This is kinda an awkward question, but what kind of calves do you have?

I have fairly muscular calves (yeah, that's a humblebrag), it mostly wore dress shoes and khakis, and didn't have much of a problem. I didn't walk much and didn't run at all.

If you get one that has the above-the calf suspender type thing, it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, checked last night and I have the DeSantis. It has a plastic loop for the suspender thing. (Will edit my earlier post.)

Fairly muscular calves, I'm on my feet and move around the majority of the day at work. I think if I get one that has the "garter belt" loop I should be ok.

Thank you for the responses!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I carried a walther PPKs in an ankle holster about 25 years ago so my tool belt wouldn't create a conflict. It was comfortable enough. like wearing an ankle weight, I got used to it soon enough. The only problem i had was having it spotted by a GM while I was on a ladder.

IMO If it's your only gun--not a BUG--use an ankle holster only temporarily (like when wearing a tool belt) and transition back to belt carry ASAP.
    1)I found it deathly slow and there is NO way to disguise that draw.
    2)It takes 2 hands. When wearing jeans (as opposed to say, painter pants), I needed to pull both sides of the pant leg up and then reach for the pistol.
    3)You have to kneel or crouch/bend over to draw. This works behind cover, like in a sustained gun fight and your primary pistol is out of full mags; facing a robber, that's a hopelessly vulnerable move. Just suicidal.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IMHO, there are ways to "hide" the draw. Mostly, cowering in fear.

Ideally, it would be behind cover, but I do think that with a bit of improvisation, the move could be relatively obscured.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    Are you seriously recommending a one size fits all holster?

several
    dompanies let you switch shells and keep the base. Alien Gear, Stealth Gear, and several others. For alien gear there is no charge other than the shipping to get teh old shell back to them.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I have a BugBite calf holster. It is the only one I have ever had, and I like it a lot. Seems very secure. Has a slot for an extra mag. I have been carrying a Sig P238 most recently, and forget it is there.

Top Bottom