• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I am well into my build already but stalling out due to finding the correct buffer tube. I have bought the Thordsens check rest kit but it says it only works with a 1.16~1.18" OD tube. Is there anyone besides them that sells the tube? I am looking for the shortest tube available without using a milspec carbine tube (keyed type for a stock) Their kit looks like it works best with the keyed tubes but I don't want to use that. Trying to make as short as possible but still run.

Looking for buffer tubes shorter than 7.5" and must be 1.16~1.18 OD

Already have the following:
    New Frontier stripped lower, glock mags
    Magpul K2 grip
    Anderson LPK
    4.5" Spinta barrel
    3.2" knurled handguard
    Joe Bob smooth side stripped upper
    Thordsens cheek rest

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    If you're using a Thorsden setup then there's really no reason not to use a standard carbine buffer tube as the Thorsden completely covers the tube. A shorter tube will not decrease your overall length. I used a standard carbine keyed tube and just filled in the detent holes on the bottoms with epoxy there is no way a carbine stock could be attached... Don't think that step was really needed, but just a cover my ass kinda move.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    That is a sharp pistol setup. What are the chances of eliminating the buffer tube cover piece and pulling in the cheek rest part all the way to the castle nut? That would cut out 1.5" or so? Maybe I find the absolute largest diameter buffer tube and fasten the cheek rest piece only to it. Hopefully it would be tight enough to prevent it from spinning on the buffer tube. Just thinking out loud now....

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I honestly have no idea if that would work or not, never tried it. I do know that the buffer tube cover has these kind of tabs on it that keeps the check rest part from moving.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    Finally got the rest of the pieces together and took it out. It shoots! I only put about 60 rounds thru it since the sight I was running did not really work out. It needs more riser under it so I can actually see thru it. OAL is 18.75" and it fits nicely in the camelback bag I wanted to use.

DF86B552-CB16-42BA-8213-6E6B7CAE8F81.jpg

I honestly have no idea if that would work or not, never tried it. I do know that the buffer tube cover has these kind of tabs on it that keeps the check rest part from moving.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    That is a sharp pistol setup. What are the chances of eliminating the buffer tube cover piece and pulling in the cheek rest part all the way to the castle nut? That would cut out 1.5" or so? Maybe I find the absolute largest diameter buffer tube and fasten the cheek rest piece only to it. Hopefully it would be tight enough to prevent it from spinning on the buffer tube. Just thinking out loud now....

The KAK Shockwave buffer tube is pretty fat.
    I have one on my .223 AR pistol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Elevated Arms
    Top Bottom