• ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    ( Well, possibly ) :)

I was having lunch today with a few people from work, one woman spoke of last night " About 1:30 in the morning a man was standing at my front door, no shirt ringing the doorbell." She had her phone in her hand waiting to call the police, he eventually left without her calling.

She explained the fear her children had, she happens to live alone with them; I told her how many crooks 'scout' homes this way, just before kicking in the door. We got onto the topic of firearms for self defense and I eventually offered to give her a loaner firearm, she then asked if I would take her to the range.

She told me she's "Very scared" of the idea but she's more than willing to learn, if you ask me that's all she needs is an open mind. I'm going to take her and my wife to the range, all I need to do is get a .22 pistol ( maybe a walther P22 or a Misquito ).

If anyone has one they're willing to sell, or even loan me, I would be more than willing to put up a cash deposit until I return the firearm. Other than that, I'll simply find one to buy.

She didn't seem too bother by her situation last night, this would have put me in condition red; at the door with a firearm in my hand. I explained to her "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away" that seemed to strike a nerve.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep her nerves calmed, I'd like to take the girls to a quiet range like MCF&G but I don't have a membership yet.

Any tips would be helpful, thank you.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Make sure she has some really good ear protection. Most new people are put off by the noise of the shot then the actually kick of the gun.

Even a .22 will bother a lot of new people to shooting.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Make sure she has some really good ear protection. Most new people are put off my the noise of the shot then the actually kick of the gun.

Even a .22 will bother a lot of new people to shooting.

Good suggestion, I have plenty sets of nice ears she can wear; keep them coming.

I figure a .22 would be the best bet, unless we take a pellet gun to the range!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Be sure to mention that even if she had called the police, they may not have been able to get there fast enough to make any practical difference.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away (often many minutes).

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    You ever come to Terre Haute and I'll buy you a coffee and a donut.
    This is what we all should be doing, explaining and helping people, most of whose only problem is not having been exposed to weapons and their legitimate use.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good suggestion, I have plenty sets of nice ears she can wear; keep them coming.

I figure a .22 would be the best bet, unless we take a pellet gun to the range!

Good for you for making the offer and following up on it. I think I'm out of rep, but if I am, I'll catch you ASAP for it.

I've never seen anyone suggest anything other than a .22 for someone who's never shot before. The low noise, low flash, and low recoil are ideal. That said, if you or someone who can be there with you has a suppressor, you'd eliminate the first two entirely to ease her into shooting one so-called negative at a time.

Other than that, short distances and reactive targets... things that will make a big deal about her hitting the target. All positive reinforcement, whether it be something as simple as Shoot-n-See or milk jugs or (possibly) fruit, like tomatoes. That one's iffy because seeing the damage caused might put her off initially.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Good for you for making the offer and following up on it. I think I'm out of rep, but if I am, I'll catch you ASAP for it.

I've never seen anyone suggest anything other than a .22 for someone who's never shot before. The low noise, low flash, and low recoil are ideal. That said, if you or someone who can be there with you has a suppressor, you'd eliminate the first two entirely to ease her into shooting one so-called negative at a time.

Other than that, short distances and reactive targets... things that will make a big deal about her hitting the target. All positive reinforcement, whether it be something as simple as Shoot-n-See or milk jugs or (possibly) fruit, like tomatoes. That one's iffy because seeing the damage caused might put her off initially.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Hey Bill,

Rep is surely appreciated - thank you!

Also you make some great points I hadn't considered, I will have to make everything as easy as possible for this gal; she seems quite terrified about the entire situation ( shooting firearms ).

Thanks again - keep the idea's rolling in!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Misconfig, if you'd like to bring her to MCFG, I'd be willing to host you guys there for an hour or two. I'd be able to bring the P22 along with the OutbackII can.....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Misconfig, if you'd like to bring her to MCFG, I'd be willing to host you guys there for an hour or two. I'd be able to bring the P22 along with the OutbackII can.....

In that vein...

If you want to let me know if/when you're gonna be there, perhaps the presence of another woman would help (if OP's wife can't make it). :dunno: I don't have a .22 pistol, but if she feels like venturing beyond the starting gun...might help her to see a woman shooting a full-size Glock or a 1911.

I just need a few days advance notice to arrange child care.

Oh, forgot to add: :yesway: for adding one to our team, no matter how tentative it is right now. I've never met a woman who didn't become a complete convert after actually experiencing shooting a firearm.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll offer up as well. I'm a member over at the Danville CC. I have a Walther P22 I can bring, if you help cover the $5 guest fees. With some advance notice I can arrange a babysitter and bring my wife. Having another woman around who is comfortable with guns may help set her at ease. Drop me a PM....

Looks like 88GT is thinking the same way! You've got plenty of volunteers to choose from...

Top Bottom