• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I want heads to roll for this, if true. It won't happen, since 'qualified immunity' will probably be the umbrella under which those involved will try to cower under while it rains down upon them, but boy, actually seeing personal responsibility and common sense from government sure would be a nice change of pace.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wonder what they would have done if that had been an "uninformed armed citizen" defending himself and taking out their fake hostage taker?

Probably would have been ok if they had posted "No Guns" signs out front. :D

I can't imagine this being a good idea on any level. I understand that they may have wanted the realism to be as accurate as possible but to go sticking guns to peoples' heads is serious ****.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I'd like to know more of the story.
    Were the employees informed of the exercise and she (Meeker) missed the message OR did management at the nursing home agree to let them use the place and didn't tell the rank and file staff?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    As usual, we are relying on the news media, which so many of us claim to despise, for all of our info on this. So, while we're at it, let us not overlook the same media reporting that the police say they were given a document outlining how the woman's employer was going to inform patients and employees of the drill. All of it is no better than "he said she said".

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    yeah I'm afraid were I uninformed it could get ugly on all sides. This whole thing smacks of reckless indifference if it's true the participants were uninformed/unwilling.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Wonder what they would have done if that had been an "uninformed armed citizen" defending himself and taking out their fake hostage taker?

It would have been spun and went something like, "trigger happy man with gun shoots instructor during a routine drill."
    We know this to be absolutely false but how many people would take a comment just like that at face value and run with it.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    At face value....there has to be something going on here that is not being talked about. :popcorn:

I'm always suspicious (for better or worse) when people try to get money after things like this. I'm guessing she was told there'd be a drill but that the drill was WAY more intense then she thought it'd be. Just a guess though.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    the response from the supervisors made no mention of employee notification. One would think they would want to get that out up front and with clarity.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm always suspicious (for better or worse) when people try to get money after things like this. I'm guessing she was told there'd be a drill but that the drill was WAY more intense then she thought it'd be. Just a guess though.

That's possible, but there have been several cases where no-notice active-shooter drills were conducted. Amazingly no one has been shot yet (that I know of), perhaps because they seem to always happen in "gun-forbidden" zones; hospitals seem particularly susceptible to this kind of brainlessness. And yes lawsuits followed. I have a little list of them on my home computer, but right now I am screwing off....er... on employee break at work.

I think it something like this occurred and involved me, after the smoke literally cleared I would be suing all involved entities for felonious and malicious numbskullery. That has to be a recognized cause of action, I think Blackstone documented it...

ETA:

Here's three other examples of this kind of stuff:
    http://articles.latimes.com/1996-02-18/news/mn-37302_1_memorial-hospital
    http://www.workforce.com/articles/h...oyer-after-being-traumatized-in-hostage-drill#
    http://www.securityinfowatch.com/bl...usses-fallout-from-hospital-training-incident

ETA #2
    Text of lawsuit:
    http://www.postindependent.com/news/12423061-113/meeker-defendants-defendant-rights

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, in the statement from Heritage Park, it states they conduct routine safety drills. Now, that MIGHT mean that clients and staff were / are previously informed of this type of scenario, it might not.

Obviously, NOT informing people that a drill is, in fact, a drill could have quite dire consequences for anyone involved. Someone could suffer a heart attack, some fake 'BG' could be seriously injured or killed, and so forth.

Whether or not Meeker was informed or not isn't substantiated by that article. It 'smells' like someone just wanting a 'big payday', but that's speculation.

No-notice active shooter drills are, at best, immensely stupid. If the scenario is posed as real, then the response is likely to be real: take out the 'perpetrator' a.s.a.p. Even if it's held in a supposedly 'Gun Free Zone' does NOT mean no one is armed. And something like a hypodermic needle to the eyes could be just as potentially lethal to the fake 'BG' as a bullet to the chest.

As repeatedly stated, firearms are NOT 'toys' and this isn't a 'game'. And 'dead' cannot be 'undone', even if was 'only a practice drill'.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    A woman from Carbondale claims she suffered emotional and mental distress during an active shooter training exercise she claims she didn't know she was a part of.

Woman sues after being held 'hostage'

Seems these drills are simply further conditioning of the sheep.

I wonder how it would have turned out if the woman had dispatched the "hostage taker" out of protection of her life which she reasonably felt to be in imminent danger. I suspect we may one day find out.

Top Bottom