• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My wife and I had some errands to run today around South Bend, and I was of course OC the whole time. We stopped around 1:30 at Chik-Fil-A on the south side for lunch. There weren't many people there at the time and we enjoyed a nice meal. After a while, I went up for a refill on my drink and a nice young man named Jamar helped me.

He saw my pistol and asked "So, as a police officer, do all of you carry the same gun?" I said "Actually, I'm not a police officer." His eyes got as big as saucers and I think he about fell over backwards. He didn't realize that just anyone could carry a gun. He asked how a person would go about being allowed to carry a gun. I informed him that he needed to be 18, no felonies, and he could apply online or at the local police station. I noticed the manager listening to our conversation and he was nodding in agreement as I was explaining the process.

He then asked about juvenile records, and I told him that he could still get a LTCH if he had a juvenile record, but he would have to wait at least 5 years from the date of the record. He was completely bewildered and acted as if I were the first one to ever tell him that he could legally own and carry a gun. He asked if I had people mistake me for being a cop very often, and I told him that I get very few comments at all, but I do occasionally have people ask me if I am a cop. He asked what the difference was between a license and a permit, so I went on to explain that Indiana issues a License To Carry Handgun. He said he was definitely going to check into getting his LTCH.

By this time, a line had formed behind me, so I went back to my table.

I took out one of my business cards from my wallet, and wrote the INGO address on the back. I also wrote down the web address for Kodiak Range in South Bend. Before I left, I handed him my card and told him that INGO would have all the info he needed to obtain his LTCH. I also told him to check out Kodiak Range since they have very affordable training here locally. He had the biggest grin that I have ever seen, and thanked me for the info.

So, today was a good day. I got to educate a young man, and possibly influence him to exercise his rights.

:ingo:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good job not being a smart ass when people ask you if you are a cop.
    That's the way to educate the public on their rights.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife and I had some errands to run today around South Bend, and I was of course OC the whole time. We stopped around 1:30 at Chik-Fil-A on the south side for lunch. There weren't many people there at the time and we enjoyed a nice meal. After a while, I went up for a refill on my drink and a nice young man named Jamar helped me.

He saw my pistol and asked "So, as a police officer, do all of you carry the same gun?" I said "Actually, I'm not a police officer." His eyes got as big as saucers and I think he about fell over backwards. He didn't realize that just anyone could carry a gun. He asked how a person would go about being allowed to carry a gun. I informed him that he needed to be 18, no felonies, and he could apply online or at the local police station. I noticed the manager listening to our conversation and he was nodding in agreement as I was explaining the process.

He then asked about juvenile records, and I told him that he could still get a LTCH if he had a juvenile record, but he would have to wait at least 5 years from the date of the record. He was completely bewildered and acted as if I were the first one to ever tell him that he could legally own and carry a gun. He asked if I had people mistake me for being a cop very often, and I told him that I get very few comments at all, but I do occasionally have people ask me if I am a cop. He asked what the difference was between a license and a permit, so I went on to explain that Indiana issues a License To Carry Handgun. He said he was definitely going to check into getting his LTCH.

By this time, a line had formed behind me, so I went back to my table.

I took out one of my business cards from my wallet, and wrote the INGO address on the back. I also wrote down the web address for Kodiak Range in South Bend. Before I left, I handed him my card and told him that INGO would have all the info he needed to obtain his LTCH. I also told him to check out Kodiak Range since they have very affordable training here locally. He had the biggest grin that I have ever seen, and thanked me for the info.

So, today was a good day. I got to educate a young man, and possibly influence him to exercise his rights.

:ingo:
    AWESOME!!!!

To the bolded: Nothing except the spelling. They are functionally identical.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    These stories always make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Seriously tho, great job, and he has your contact info if he needs a range buddy.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    There are getting to be more and more good encounters here in the Michiana area. Between South Bend and Goshen, I'm noticing a lot more stories coming out in a good light.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This proves that it is impossible to have a bad experience at Chik-Fil-A.
    Rather than juvenile hall, we should make the kids work there. It always makes me feel good seeing good customer service from kids.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    What a well spoken, anti-inflammatory, and positive way to pass the message. It is too often that the anti-gun movement has a tendency to become overtly zealous and out of control. Great advocates like yourself are clearly of great value to all of us in the community. Great job!

Top Bottom