Another gun dropping from a Holster in Columbus and going off...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    NOT to bash, you, but I NEVER accept a handgun of ANY kind, that isn't UNloaded, and the cylinder, and or chamber OPEN.....
    Semi auto, must have the mag., removed, and the slide LOCKED back ..... PERIOD .....

While i think that is a bit extreme i dont blame you. One of my biggest gripes is just racking the slide and not visually inspecting the chamber as well as the magazine. Unlikely an extractor will break but it has and it will again i'm sure.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    While i think that is a bit extreme i dont blame you. One of my biggest gripes is just racking the slide and not visually inspecting the chamber as well as the magazine. Unlikely an extractor will break but it has and it will again i'm sure.

I'm kind of obsessive about clearing. I lock the slide/bolt back and actually sweep the chamber and bolt face with my finger after visually inspecting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm kind of obsessive about clearing. I lock the slide/bolt back and actually sweep the chamber and bolt face with my finger after visually inspecting.

A friend had me love on his RIA 1911. I was showing him one of my Springers and handed it to him with the slide locked open. He dropped the slide off the slide stop on an empty chamber. He just could not understand why I was a bit miffed.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    A friend had me love on his RIA 1911. I was showing him one of my Springers and handed it to him with the slide locked open. He dropped the slide off the slide stop on an empty chamber. He just could not understand why I was a bit miffed.

My big turning point came when another soldier "cleared" a Mk-19 after a firing session. He visually inspected the chamber and allowed the bolt to slam forward, then turned over the weapon. I was preparing to load my rounds. To my surprise a live 40mm HE round came flinging out of the breach when I racked the bolt back. If that doesn't make you anal about clearing, I don't know what will.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My big turning point came when another soldier "cleared" a Mk-19 after a firing session. He visually inspected the chamber and allowed the bolt to slam forward, then turned over the weapon. I was preparing to load my rounds. To my surprise a live 40mm HE round came flinging out of the breach when I racked the bolt back. If that doesn't make you anal about clearing, I don't know what will.

IMO, you win for "Oh, $#'+" story...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Pucker factor off the scale on this one.

This is a great example for all. They are "ALWAYS" loaded................"ALWAYS"

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    This morning's Columbus paper says the gun did not fall out of the holster, the holster fell out of his waist band. Sounds like one of those loopless holsters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This morning's Columbus paper says the gun did not fall out of the holster, the holster fell out of his waist band. Sounds like one of those loopless holsters.

Cheap sucks. Cheap people suck as well. Tripping over a $5 bill to pick up a Quarter is ridiculous. Every Hobby/sport/passion has a cost to participate. If you want to get in the game just do it right and get the right equipment........Please.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I don't use my slide stop to drop the slide. But I do "sling shot" it with my hand. Does this cause damage to the pistol? I have gotten in the habit of not riding the slide so I am sure the gun gets into battery so I naturally do this when practicing dry to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't use my slide stop to drop the slide. But I do "sling shot" it with my hand. Does this cause damage to the pistol? I have gotten in the habit of not riding the slide so I am sure the gun gets into battery so I naturally do this when practicing dry to.

Loved on 1911s do not react well to slamming the slide home on an empty chamber. It ruins a finely tuned trigger job. I try to avoid the practice myself but sometimes it is inevitable.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I find it funny that a Facebook group was quick to jump on that page. If you follow the Anti-Gunners to their facebook page you will see they are all friends and talking about it on their own facebook. Then look at the history and you will see they do the same for every Liberal Hot-Button topic.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What happens if you are leisurely shopping in Walmart and a shot rings out? You secure your, now crying, child with your weak hand while drawing to face the threat. It registers in your head that your child was grazed as you put the front sight on this irresponsible imbecile picking up his gun from the floor. What do you do?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    What do you do?

That's a very good, very difficult question. I'd probably (in a commanding voice) explain to him / her to not touch the firearm, scan the area for other (idiots) threats, then inform an employee that the person on the business end of my firearm was responsible for injuring my child & I wanted 911 called for EMS + LEO support.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    So if that was your wife would returning fire on him be justified? Do you think you would get off as easy?

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    So if that was your wife would returning fire on him be justified? Do you think you would get off as easy?

I tend to evaluate situations before I pull the trigger. In the stated situation you would most certainly face criminal charges if you shot the guy. It's like shooting a drunk driver who passed out and hit your kid with his car.

Top Bottom