Another Gun Safe Question (i apologize in advance)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dollargeneral

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Gun Safe Question

I need to get a safe soon. After about a hundred hours on the internet I have a short list of manufacturers. Johnson Safes(IN), Sturdy Safes (CA), and Griffin Safe (NC). Sturdy has the most info online. I found most of what I wanted to know about Griffin thru their youtube video and a few emails but Johnson Safes is gonna require a phone call.

Wondering if anyone owns any of these brands and had any advice? Also, if anyone knows more about the Johnson it would be appreciated..What kind of bolt system etc...? Relockers? Drill Plates?

Thanks for any input

Last edited:

Cstar23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I would also be curious, I am really leaning toward a Sturdy and would love to hear any feedback.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you have questions about Johnson, can't you just get it from the horse's mouth at the gun show in Indianapolis in March?

Jeff Johnson sets up at the Indy 1500. You can just get it straight from the source.

I have had a Johnson since 1998. It has been absolutely trouble free. I did make a platform for it to get it up off the basement floor and 5 or 6 years ago I have it a coat of car wax, but other than using it, have not touched it.

Here's the only photo I have it taken during a basement armoury remodel.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Jeff custom built a safe exactly how I asked him, delivered and installed it. One of the nicest guys I ever met and his product and service is second to none. Keeping your dollars local for a great product is a bonus!

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    DG,
    Just wondering if you come up with anything yet for your gun safe. I had a gun storage question a couple of weeks ago and got a couple of kind replies and possible solutions. Sorry if i'm being nosy, but just hate the thought of guns getting into the wrong hands.:)

Dollargeneral

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Got it down to two on my list now. AMSEC BF and Griffin B Rate. Both have the Cement type fire insulation and relockers. Just need to decide if I want the better know amsec with a better warranty or the Import that is built more secure?

gunluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    There was a guy on here with a free safe a few days ago. It was a data safe like is used in computer center.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Dollargeneral, Make sure if possible to get the biggest capacity one you can afford and fit. Cause it'll likely get full before you know it.

True, and this is another "plus" for Johnson... He gives a guarantee of a credit of a set amount (75%, IIRC) of what you paid on your safe toward the purchase of another with trade-in.

He also will re-do the shelving in your safe if your needs change.

It's not cheap, but I don't know of many things of real quality that are.

:+1: Johnson Safes.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom