Another guy whose gun fell out of his pocket and discharged. Good grief!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like a guy that went to a LGS, bought a firearm, picked up his permit and figured that was 'all' he needed.

Wonder how many folks like that we have in Indiana? Maybe even on INGO? :dunno:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I can see how this can happen. 63 year old dude wearing loose fitting pants or shorts (the article didn't say that but it does seem like the older I get, the looser my clothes become), sitting/fidgeting in a seat and the derringer works its way out (anybody ever had a knife do the very same thing?). Probably opted for the derringer for concealment. That would not be my first choice of firearm or carry method.

Anybody ever drop their keys, a plate that is reduced to shards of vitrelle or cut themselves with a knife? Who does that on purpose? Stuff happens. I tend to be actively focused on the firearm whenever I am around them so that I do not become complacent. I would almost bet that he has been around firearms his entire life and his comfort level was to a point to where it was like throwing his keys in his pocket.

I am glad that no one was hurt. Reckless endangerment, hmmm, seems like something of a slippery slope. Could not most activities be considered reckless to someone?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From the article: "Memphis police said 63-year-old George Gholson was arrested and charged Tuesday with reckless endangerment and failing to follow a posted "no-weapons" notice."

So I guess that in Memphis (or TN in general), these signs do carry the weight of law, unlike here?

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    From the article: "Memphis police said 63-year-old George Gholson was arrested and charged Tuesday with reckless endangerment and failing to follow a posted "no-weapons" notice."

So I guess that in Memphis (or TN in general), these signs do carry the weight of law, unlike here?

I had wondered the same thing and looked it up. The way I read it, class B misdemeaner.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    fidg·et
    ˈfijit/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: fidgeting
    make small movements, especially of the hands and feet, through nervousness or impatience.
    "the audience had begun to fidget on their chairs"
    synonyms: move restlessly, wriggle, squirm, twitch, jiggle, shuffle, be agitated; :cool:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    XXX in Tennessee....Wouldn't that be Home Movies? :rolleyes:

Curious which of his 11 fingers pulled the trigger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can see how this can happen. 63 year old dude wearing loose fitting pants or shorts (the article didn't say that but it does seem like the older I get, the looser my clothes become), sitting/fidgeting in a seat and the derringer works its way out (anybody ever had a knife do the very same thing?). Probably opted for the derringer for concealment. That would not be my first choice of firearm or carry method.

Anybody ever drop their keys, a plate that is reduced to shards of vitrelle or cut themselves with a knife? Who does that on purpose? Stuff happens. I tend to be actively focused on the firearm whenever I am around them so that I do not become complacent. I would almost bet that he has been around firearms his entire life and his comfort level was to a point to where it was like throwing his keys in his pocket.

I am glad that no one was hurt. Reckless endangerment, hmmm, seems like something of a slippery slope. Could not most activities be considered reckless to someone?

I am 64 and I never lost control of my sidearm. It is secure in a proper holster at all times. I do not pocket carry. There are several reasons for that and this incident is 1 of them.

Top Bottom