• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    For your first knife I have some really beautiful curly walnut I would send you for your handle if you would accept it.
    I think it would make the knife. Just need to know how big of a block you'll need. The knife below has the wood I propose to send on it all nice and finished.
    This is representation of course, each piece is unique. I would send this to you free of charge. :cool:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

shoot me a PM if you want this wood.

Last edited:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    This is very Impressive!!!
    I have always thought about cutting some out on the CNC here at work but have never got around to it. I really like how in depth you went with the heat treating:yesway:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Those two guys are pretty cool. I have spent many hours running the CNC mill in the lab across the hall from that lab. Watched them shoot a 3d printed projectile once out of their vacuum gun once. Put a nice dent in the door that was probably 100 so feet away.

Cool looking blades. Can't wait to see what you end up doing for the handles.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Big thanks to Warthog for sending me a very nice block of... walnut burl/crotchwood?

I took it to my dads and used his bandsaw to cut it in half

Then we used his planer to flaten the pieces.

beautiful wood!

I would like to see a pic of the jig you made to keep the grinds even.

Heres pics of my setup. Theres probably way better/easier ways to do this but heres how I did it:

theres a rod that the tool rest can slide side to side on and adjust the angle. its clamped down with these 2 hex bolts.

I use this triangle protractor contraption to choose my angle.

I use a piece of 90* angle aluminum to hold the knife perpendicular to the tool rest and grind at the desired angle to the platen. I clamp the knife on with a couple vise clamps.

Now I can hold the workpiece at a steady angle and remove the material I want.

any more questions please ask. I appreciate all the input.

By the way, Dave.... whens the next chop-in?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    It's scrap wood from an Amish furniture factory. I'd say where exactly I get it but then everyone would go there and I wouldn't get it free anymore because it will be all gone.
    I sent you more than you needed I hope, I figured cut right it might make a nice folder too but I wasn't sure.

I am glad to help you with this and really don't want your money, even for the postage sine it wasn't much to send it. I am glad to help out.
    I want to see the finished product is all I want as payment. :cool:

you have a nicer shop than I do... :(

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's scrap wood from an Amish furniture factory. I'd say where exactly I get it but then everyone would go there and I wouldn't get it free anymore because it will be all gone.
    I sent you more than you needed I hope, I figured cut right it might make a nice folder too but I wasn't sure.

I am glad to help you with this and really don't want your money, even for the postage sine it wasn't much to send it. I am glad to help out.
    I want to see the finished product is all I want as payment. :cool:

you have a nicer shop than I do... :(

You are awesome! Thank you very much, karma +1 for you :yesway::rockwoot::yesway:

and I think you're referring to my dads shop, he retired and filled a 2 car garage with woodworking stuff. doesn't hurt that he lives about 10 minutes from me :D

my shop is just a corner of the garage that I have sacrificed my car sitting outside to have set up... though its not a bad tradeoff:cool:

Dang drbarnes! Your doing an amazing job! I can't wait to see them finished!

:dunno: late October maybe? What do ya think?

And I believe that will have to go in the heavy weight class! :eek:

Anytime is good for me! And heavy weightclass works for me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom