• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Re: motion sensors, aside from saving energy, IMO they're useless for security. Unless someone happens to be on the toilet, looking out the window at 2am, no one other than the burgler would notice (cool, now I don't need my flashlight)...well, maybe the dog. I think a better idea is to connect the sensor to a door bell etc. You can be alerted, possibly without them knowing it.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    The motion sensored lights are flood lights not a single 40w light bulb lantern. While they will not sound the alarm, it will light up the area well and may wake the neighbor or us up from the light coming through the window, similar to when the sun rises. If I hooked it up to the doorbell, it would wake my children every time one of the rabbits, fox, or coyotes triggers it. As our back yard backs up to a large retention pond with the development entrance road on the other side along with a dozen houses also backed up to the pnd in a U shape, there is a good chance that the light would alert another neighbor.

Bottom line, this is better than just leaving the back porch light on at night

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    From what I heard they (Burglars) asked them (Victems) if they had any GREY POUPON? Seriously, Fishers isnt safe, myt cross street neighbor leaves his garage door open just about 24/7. (WINTER/SPRING/SUMMER/FALL)

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    motion detection lights , steel doors , dogs , and pistols with lights attached to them…my house ,my family , my ground..

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    another thing that would help was if you had the drive way alarms my boss has them he set his up all the way across his front yard so anyone walks or drives up he gets the alarm going off to give him time to acess the situation at hand before they make it to your door

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If it occurred as the reports say - resident was awakened with a gun to his head - a gun wouldn't have done him much good. Start with an alarm system and/or a dog - that will buy a few seconds to deploy the gun.

We have both. Nobody is getting in without notice short of a ghost.
    Multiple dogs spread throughout the house guarantees complete coverage.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Laugh it up all you want... Donna and I live in Fishers. Indy Gun Safety is in Fishers. Fishers residents make up nearly half of all our students/customers. One of our customers recently shot at 2 home invaders and sent them running. Both were arrested and have been charged. So yuck it up all you want... many of us up here are well armed, well trained, and prepared. :draw:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Laugh it up all you want... Donna and I live in Fishers. Indy Gun Safety is in Fishers. Fishers residents make up nearly half of all our students/customers. One of our customers recently shot at 2 home invaders and sent them running. Both were arrested and have been charged. So yuck it up all you want... many of us up here are well armed, well trained, and prepared. :draw:

Teach them to aim better. :dunno:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

I would guess that Fishers is one of the better armed bastions in the state.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Teach them to aim better. :dunno:

He was a customer... Never a student. Nice try. Also, some people are not ready to kill so quickly. I wasn't there so I don't judge. He wasn't hurt, no property got taken, both bad guys are locked up, and he doesn't have $$$$$ in legal expenses. Sounds like a pretty good job to me.

Plus they reload their own.

Yes we do!

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Try a pasture with the house dead center. Fence around the house. Driveway, no fence, through the pasture. Two aggressive stud horses let run at night, better than dogs. Equine state approved signs on gate and posted around the perimeter. A horse can take about a pound of meat each bite. Motion sensors in all out buildings, was done to tell me if a horse was out of their stall. Expanded the sensors to other buildings as it worked so well in the barn. If they get to the house they will be ment with a 12 ga, .308 with a night scope gen 3 good for 200 yards on a bright night, or an STI Perfect 10 with 20+1 of 10mm XTP 200gr.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Please don't get a "Rhodie" unless you are an experienced dog owner. This is just a FYI. They are not Labradors or Goldens. They have enough Sighthound in them that you should always have them on leash unless in a controlled or fenced area. All of the Rhodsians I have met have been very civil but they also demonstrate the Sighthounds streak of independence (stubbornness). They respond to consistent calm training, not heavy handed training.
    MH

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom