• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is Paypal really anti-gun? Or are they just covering their tails from legal action like a smart company dealing with financial transactions should? Their accepted policies prohibit a fairly large batch of other activities that could blow back on them also:

https://cms.paypal.com/cgi-bin/mark...ntent_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_full&locale.x=en_US

At one time I boycotted them on the anti-gun idea. Over the years, I was coaxed into a transaction or two that the only realistic way to reasonably handle things invoved Paypal.

In recent times, I see more and more small business and personal transactions using Paypal. I'm referring to folks that handle and deal gun related stuff, (obviously not firearms purchases.)

When transactions are handled as a "gift," all that is noted is a financial transaction between individuals. Arguably the way any two individuals would want to handle a private transaction of most sorts. No different than cash, check or money orders without a description.

My googling shows that a lot of folks across the interwebs either believe that Paypal is not anti-gun or really don't care. Using the the best known easily and widely accepted way to do financial transactions INSTANTLY overrides whatever debatable beliefs a company may or may not have.

In the past year I have used Paypal for a lot more of my transactions. Personal transactions that are done online, involving shipping, are more and more done with Paypal. The INSTANT ease of use combined with the Post Office getting less efficient daily, make me consider basing financial offers on whether or not the seller/purchaser uses Paypal.

What say you?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    For being anti-gun I have used them a ton of times for ammo or parts transactions. I'm not boycotting them as I don't blame them for covering their butts and saying that you can't mention guns in the deal. Just do things as a gift or list it as an item without saying what it is.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Just do things as a gift or list it as an item without saying what it is.

A lot of what I've read in researching the issue is just this. There is no requirement to explain your cash, CC or money order purchases, nor is there with Paypal.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I never pay attention to much of the boycott talk that goes on. I've used PayPal for years and have never had an issue. I've bought all kinds of gun-related stuff and I've never had to identify what I was buying, so I'm not sure how they are anti-gun. If I want to buy something out of that account at a gun store, I have a pre-paid debit card linked to that particular account, so that's still PayPal.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    They are most defiantly Anti-Gun. Your account will get locked if they suspect anything is firearms related....

I personally hate :xmad:Paypal:xmad: for reasons stemming back to multiple instances the last 12 years, albeit none of them firearm related, but my hand is forced to have it as an available payment method from our customers. There dispute resolution is horsepoo...

I even got notification from them back in 2011 that I was "receiving too many gift payments." They threatened to close my account.

Best advice I can give you is to not leave a DIME in your account. Pull it as soon as you can. They can't freeze assets that don't exist in their system.

beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    I've bought multiple guns and gun related items and paid for it through paypal. Just mark it as a gift and your transaction can be completed. The gift tag also keeps the recipient from paying credit card fees if paid for with a cc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Best advice I can give you is to not leave a DIME in your account. Pull it as soon as you can. They can't freeze assets that don't exist in their system.

I've bought multiple guns and gun related items and paid for it through paypal. Just mark it as a gift and your transaction can be completed. The gift tag also keeps the recipient from paying credit card fees if paid for with a cc.

I was under the impression that to avoid fee's you have to money in your account?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I was under the impression that to avoid fee's you have to money in your account?

The seller NEVER pays any fees. All of the fees are on the receiving side. Fees are higher than most merchant accounts.

I believe you can only send gifts from funds already in the account. I could be wrong here as I generally only use Paypal to receive.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I believe you can only send gifts from funds already in the account. I could be wrong here as I generally only use Paypal to receive.

You can also send gifts from a bank account linked to your paypal account. That's how I normally do it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You can send a gift from a linked credit card but it will charge you the associated fees. If it's from a linked bank account or funds already in the account no fees are charged.

When sending a gift from a linked CC the fees are charged to the sender, not the receiver. IE, I want to send $250 and don't have a balance on my account. It takes it from my credit card as follows $250 + X% fee and the receiving party gets the full $250 in their account.

One word of caution however, I don't think there is any buyer protection when using gift as your form of payment so I only use it for trusted, known parties like SmileDocHill for the recent ILBE group buy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They are most defiantly Anti-Gun. Your account will get locked if they suspect anything is firearms related....

I personally hate :xmad:Paypal:xmad: for reasons stemming back to multiple instances the last 12 years, albeit none of them firearm related, but my hand is forced to have it as an available payment method from our customers. There dispute resolution is horsepoo...

I even got notification from them back in 2011 that I was "receiving too many gift payments." They threatened to close my account.

Best advice I can give you is to not leave a DIME in your account. Pull it as soon as you can. They can't freeze assets that don't exist in their system.

So were you receiving actual gifts or payment for good and services? :dunno:

I honestly can't blame them too much for not wanting to handle firearm payments. With all the patchwork laws and stupid rules who does?

FTF and cash is just fine...

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have received as payments, gifts, e-checks, all the above.

So were you receiving actual gifts or payment for good and services? :dunno:

I honestly can't blame them too much for not wanting to handle firearm payments. With all the patchwork laws and stupid rules who does?

FTF and cash is just fine...

matthewdanger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    There was a poster on AR15.com some time ago who was involved with Paypal in some official capacity that I can't remember exactly. He indicated (several times, in several threads) that they weren't anti-gun but rather wished to avoid potential liability and the patch work of laws surrounding firearms.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I can't see how they can say they are anti-gun since ebay virtually requires the use of Pay-pal and there are many firearm parts being sold on ebay.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    PayPal AAR:

I just had to deal with a "limitation" being placed on my PayPal account. The email they sent me was confusing at best, provided a vague list of things they needed from me but provided little to no indication as to where to send it.

I'd been advised by several people on INGO that if your account suddenly sees a change in activity they can shut it down for investigation.

I got the email, and a call. I called back and the guy was able to explain that several red flags were raised that indicated I was selling guns. They wanted some type of proof that guns were not being sold, like my web site or something. On their site you only have the option of uploading documents which isn't the type of info they wanted from me. The guy on the phone gave me a case number to include in an email to them that allowed me to simply explain the situation and provide links to the GB threads.

In hind sight I didn't play this well. Hosting the group buy I've had many payments made to the account with screen names that spell out gun types and the word assault (pack) written in the memo's. The "limitation" didn't really keep me from doing any type of business other than close my account but I think that would have escalated into restrictions if I hadn't addressed in within 4 days.

I'll report back when/if that was enough to satisfy them.

So far I would suggest calling if this happens to you. I usually consider this last resort but it seemed to really stream line the process.

Top Bottom