• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Interesting concept, I definitely see a market for this. I do see the drawbacks to it though, but what's one more piece of tracking hardware? I mean, we all have cell phones and interwebz. Now what did I do with my tinfoil?

:tinfoil:

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I like it. That's one seriously cool piece of tech and I can see it becoming really popular. Don't currently see a lot of issues with it, but I'd be up for buying a few of them. It's a cheap lowjack for everything from keys and bikes to your car.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Somehow don't feel comfortable about an easily stored tracking media on every piece of gear I own. :noway:

Like what was said earlier, don't buy it.

I like it. That's one seriously cool piece of tech and I can see it becoming really popular. Don't currently see a lot of issues with it, but I'd be up for buying a few of them. It's a cheap lowjack for everything from keys and bikes to your car.

From a pratical stand point if the price is reasonable, this is a fabulous item. Stop and think if it becomes a popular item, thief's will
    be driving themselves batty playing the guessing game if it is "Tiled".

Another thing is, if this was able to be incorporated in high theft items like TV's, Audio equipment and such, it could be a way to
    lower your homeowners insurance, and possible auto insurance for theft.

Would like to see how far the transmission range is, and it's expected lifetime, these would be big factors along with the pricing.

NOTE: I just found this:Tile creates the world's largest lost and found - New Startups

50-150 foot range, makes trying to find a stolen item fairly hard IMHO because of it's short transmission range, now if it could
    be stretched out to minimum of 200 feet, then it becomes a game changer.

Last edited:

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Tile

Somehow don't feel comfortable about an easily stored tracking media on every piece of gear I own. :noway:

back in my day we use to call these
    Sonymicro_recorder_sound_recorder_digital.jpg

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I meant to say that for us as say, survivalists or preppers, this is a bad idea. 150 feet is good enough range for an officer to pick up if, for instance, this was stowed away during a traffic stop or what not. I know this is a stretch but is just an example of its potential.

Granted, it sure as hell could be usefull the other way around O_o

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The average city lot is 50x150 feet, so we're talking about having to have someone else running the Tile app happening to walk by the thief's place of abode… on the sidewalk or alleyway, because driving by in a car would miss the item in the shed by the alley. That's of minimal utility just by its stated design. And where does the individual tile's transmission power come from? A battery on board? That'll die and you won't notice it, so when the tiled item is stolen, Tile would be of no help. Is it RFID tech where is harvests energy from the interrogation signal to send back? That'll be draining batteries in phones and tablets quick, plus, it means the .gov can have their own .mil standard reader that pumps out enough power to do those readings at 200-1000 feet.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    The average city lot is 50x150 feet, so we're talking about having to have someone else running the Tile app happening to walk by the thief's place of abode… on the sidewalk or alleyway, because driving by in a car would miss the item in the shed by the alley. That's of minimal utility just by its stated design. And where does the individual tile's transmission power come from? A battery on board? That'll die and you won't notice it, so when the tiled item is stolen, Tile would be of no help. Is it RFID tech where is harvests energy from the interrogation signal to send back? That'll be draining batteries in phones and tablets quick, plus, it means the .gov can have their own .mil standard reader that pumps out enough power to do those readings at 200-1000 feet.

Rather like the Android Gun owners mapping app, just put tiles behind every shed, house, tree and shrub in the area. seeing a squad Tracking a tagged squirrel could be well worth the hilarity.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Problem is, those Tiles have unique identities, and once they figure out the mapping of your physical object that they don't like, your guns, for instance, to the associated Tile ID code, the authorities will just pay attention to those Tile IDs. No need to chase the squirrel with the non-banned item Tile ID around its neck.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich

It's the new bluetooth tech, that's why it's only compatible with new iphone's for now.

This will expand/change with time, I'm sure the newer adroid's will catch up.

They said 1 year batter life, swap your tiles out after a year. Let's hope it's not stolen on day 364 ;)

Everyone participating who comes in contact with the tile reports it back to the server. The server only tells the user who registered the tile the last reported location.

Neat concept, not going to be a game changer.

The tile ID's you choose what to attach to, want to tag your gun with it? Don't name it "gun". Name it "Dave's car keys"

not sure how this will help with theft unless the criminal doesn't notice the massive plastic tile stuck to the back of the item he just pilfered. More of a handy way to find your car keys that slipped into the couch cushion again.

Top Bottom