• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    I have also decided to take up backpacking this year. Dont really know of any good trails around this area though. Gonna have to start out fairly slow because I havent done any "humping" since I got out of the Corps. Mainly looking for close, short after work 5-10 miles for now. I live in madison county and work in grant county. Any recommendations of some close trails? I know mounds park has some trails, but Im looking for a little more than that. Couple good overnighters within 1 or 2 hr drive for the wknd would also be nice.

MuayThaiGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I am also new to backpacking and I am going to join up with a more experienced friend from work to do the full Tecumseh Trail over 3 days. You could probably do part of it as a weekend hike.

Here is a DNR map that lets you zoom in to see what trails are near you.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Trails...

Brown County St Park is a great place to go. I trained there every weekend on the Mountain Bike Trail with my Pack loaded with 2 liter bottles of water. Took some lunch provisions and a backpacking stove to eat at key locations (Hesitation Point, Fire Tower and look out towers). Beauty is, if you get tired, POUR OUT THE WATER and you are left with a fairly light pack to lug back to the car. Just watch out for bikers on the trails. And the mountain men.:)

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    We always go down south to Hoosier Nat or Charles Deam wilderness and do overnight and weekend backpacking all the time. And the cool part about going to Hoosier Nat is you can shoot paper out there :ar15:

I live in madison country also you could come along with us one weekend and we will show you a few good places to hike.

Top Bottom