Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    In Further news: the "suspect" was seen laughing with his fellow TSA employees about how the reporters had been duped into plastering this all over, adding fuel to the fire and allowing the government to continue to restrict common liberty.

:tinfoil: Yeah, I know. But with the sheer amount of stupidity it takes to actually think its OK to put a handgun in a carry on bag, you have to wonder how muchof this is truely "real" and how much is set up.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    See, that is whyI'm afraid to excercise my legal right to carry in checked baggage. My whole life I've seen examples like this on the news.

If you declare your firearm at the counter, have their lock put on it, and then retrieve it at the other end, you'll be fine. I've done it at least 20 times since 9/11. I believe the guy in the news piece was trying to take the gun onboard in his carry-on. Nutjob.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you declare your firearm at the counter, have their lock put on it, and then retrieve it at the other end, you'll be fine. I've done it at least 20 times since 9/11. I believe the guy in the news piece was trying to take the gun onboard in his carry-on. Nutjob.
    So you unload it, make it safe, put it in your own case - put it in your checked baggage - and then let them know at the counter that it's in the baggage, or what?

I have never flown with my handgun, but if I ever need to - I'd like to know how to handle the situation from somebody who has done it 20+ times. The more detail, the better.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I fail to see why the news had to report that he had $400 on him and $2,500 in his wallet.
    Even if it was an important detail, why not just say he had $2,900.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    So you unload it, make it safe, put it in your own case - put it in your checked baggage - and then let them know at the counter that it's in the baggage, or what?

I have never flown with my handgun, but if I ever need to - I'd like to know how to handle the situation from somebody who has done it 20+ times. The more detail, the better.

I've had them do it 2 different ways. The one that happens the most is that they put my container, with my gun in it, inside their container. They then put their lock on it. When you get to the other end, you have to go to the baggage claim office to get your gun.

Put your gun in a plastic gun case. Contrary to common gossip, you can indeed put closed ammo containers in the same case, just make sure the gun and mags have no ammo in them (note: I've heard of people having trouble with ammo at really liberal airports like JFK or San Fran.) Your case must be locked (I use a small padlock.) Present the case to the ticket counter and tell them it's a firearm to be tagged and locked. They'll put your case in their own container and lock it. The next time you see it is at the destination airport. You go to the baggage claim offce and they give you your case. It's really not hard but I also never travel with a gun that means anything to me. I travel with a beater. If you're going to do this, be sure to add at least 20 minutes to your routine or you might not get it done in time.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have not flown with a weapon but I have read that each carrier is a little different about things like ammo, and whether the gun is assembled or broken down, etc. Please check with the carrier that you plan to fly with ahead of time. They all have a policy.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I have not flown with a weapon but I have read that each carrier is a little different about things like ammo, and whether the gun is assembled or broken down, etc. Please check with the carrier that you plan to fly with ahead of time. They all have a policy.

Definitely. I almost always fly Southwest, so I don't interact with most of the other carriers. The only attitude I ever encountered was an American Airlines flight. They wanted the gun either stripped or a zip tie holding the chamber open. I told them I would do neither and wanted a supervisor. After a long delay, they accepted the gun as it was.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The only time I flew with my handgun, on southwest, I had it locked in a container inside my checked bag. No problems at all. That was two years go.
    Jake, did you not have checked bags? I was under the impression that it had to have MY lock on the case, and that no one else but me was allowed to open the case!

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The only time I flew with my handgun, on southwest, I had it locked in a container inside my checked bag. No problems at all. That was two years go.
    Jake, did you not have checked bags? I was under the impression that it had to have MY lock on the case, and that no one else but me was allowed to open the case!

Each time I've done it with Southwest, I locked my case and they locked theirs (they put mine inside theirs.) I haven't flown since early 2009, when I retired from helping old IBM clients with their mainframe maintenance or migrations, but I believe they still do the same.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    This is how I did mine when I flew with Southwest and with, I forget, dallas fortworth. I locked it in my case, put it in my bag and declared it. They never put it in another case that I'm aware of. Also never been asked to break it down. I always packed my ammo in plastic container used for reloading ammo. So it was out of the manufacturing package, but not loose.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I fly yearly to the IDPA State shoot out in Parma, Idaho. Take a couple of handguns with me. All I do is use my own hard case (lockable), place guns inside, lock with my own lock, and place inside my own checked baggage. Declare at ticket counter, they give baggage to TSA, TSA will make you wait after going through security while they check the locked container. If they need to unlock, they will call you. Be on your way, pick up bags at destination.
    Back from Idaho is even easier. Declare at ticket counter, they take guns to side immediately, inspect case and guns with you present, lock back into checked baggage and on your way! I usually buy my match ammo at my destination...saves on weight too!

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I think this whole discussion is about violating my second amendment rights. If you have a permit to carry then why do you have to secure your weapon to fly? I have never felt the need to carry on an airplane but if I wanted to why couldn't I show my lifetime permit and board the plane. The tsa can run it in a few seconds if they felt it necessary. I would even understand if it was CC only so nobody would get nervous. I guess I just do not see what the big deal is. Maybe someone could expain it to me. If however there is some nutjob trying to carry without a permit then off to jail he goes.

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I think this whole discussion is about violating my second amendment rights. If you have a permit to carry then why do you have to secure your weapon to fly? I have never felt the need to carry on an airplane but if I wanted to why couldn't I show my lifetime permit and board the plane. The tsa can run it in a few seconds if they felt it necessary. I would even understand if it was CC only so nobody would get nervous. I guess I just do not see what the big deal is. Maybe someone could expain it to me.
    Probably because your average Joe blow doesn't have the training or the decision making required to carry and/or safely use a gun on a plane. Do you?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I flew yesterday with the XD. I had ammo in the factory box (AirTran rule) inside the plastic hard factory gun case. I had this locked with the gun lock that came with the XD. They din't have me open it, just added the red tag to my case and that was about it.

They want you to listen for your name because if during screening they find it and there's an issue they'll summon you to unlock it before breaking your lock. I'm guessing they X-ray the case.

They said I had to declare the gun to TSA supervisor so they can confirm it was found on luggage screens. If I declared and they missed it, oops.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../208123-going_to_fl_have_a_few_questions.html

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    Probably because your average Joe blow doesn't have the training or the decision making required to carry and/or safely use a gun on a plane. Do you?
    What kind of training do you need, do you know? What kind of training do you need to carry on the ground and do you have it? I do.

Top Bottom