Another person with no business having a gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The MOTHER knew that she had mental illnesses, and STILL allowed her to pick them up? This sounds alike a LOT of fail from the actual parents.

+1 agreed

The other big question is how did she get the gun? Daughter left it unsecured? Legal sale from a dealer? Private sale?

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The MOTHER knew that she had mental illnesses, and STILL allowed her to pick them up? This sounds alike a LOT of fail from the actual parents.

hindsight 20/20 dude. You are reading WAY too much into one sentence. Do you honestly think if the mom had the slightest idea this would happen that she would allow it?????

I think it's bush league and in poor form to blame someone who lost her 2 children and mom on the same day. just my opinion...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What part of: "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

So gun rights are the problem here? No. It looks like some parents made an EXTREMELY poor decision, and put their kids into the hands of a CRAZY relative. If she didn't have a gun handy, she could have very well driven into a LAKE with them.

I don't recall folks calling for a LAKE ban when it happened.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My heart goes out to the parents and the first responders. I would probably lose my mind if I was in the parents' position. Having been through the child death as a responder, it really shakes you, especially if you have kids near the age of the victims. One of the hardest thins about the job, hands down.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How tragic...

I'm sure the parents are beating themselves up for what they did or did not do, that they could have done to prevent this, etc. It's a shame the kids had to pay the price for whatever the grown ups did. Now the parents get to live with the nightmare...just tragic.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    hindsight 20/20 dude. You are reading WAY too much into one sentence. Do you honestly think if the mom had the slightest idea this would happen that she would allow it?????

I think it's bush league and in poor form to blame someone who lost her 2 children and mom on the same day. just my opinion...

I have seen far too many people making extremely POOR judgements with the safety of their kids. Some of that stems from my time working child protective services in MN. People can honestly be moronic at times about it.

I have a brother than I have NEVER allowed to be alone with my children. Nor will I ever. A child's safety is job number 1 for a parent. (This is why my guns are either ON my person, or stored in my safe).

Some just don't deal well with the responsibility.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So gun rights are the problem here? No. It looks like some parents made an EXTREMELY poor decision, and put their kids into the hands of a CRAZY relative. If she didn't have a gun handy, she could have very well driven into a LAKE with them.

I don't recall folks calling for a LAKE ban when it happened.

I don't recall people calling for an honest look at mental health vs civil liberties, either, but that's what needed to happen in both cases.

I still find it baffling that we spend so much on jails for people after the tragedy but spend so little, and cry so loudly, about providing forced mental health care prior to the tragedy.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How tragic...

I'm sure the parents are beating themselves up for what they did or did not do, that they could have done to prevent this, etc. It's a shame the kids had to pay the price for whatever the grown ups did. Now the parents get to live with the nightmare...just tragic.

It is indeed sad. And seems to often be the result of poor choices by adults. The Sandy Hook shooting? Mom had unlocked weapons in a house with a mentally ill teen. She paid the price with her life. As did many in the community as well.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ...and in Connecticut with a revolver... More proof tough gun laws and "assault weapons" and magazine capacity restrictions will do nothing to prevent tragedies like this. It's time to focus on people instead of guns.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't recall people calling for an honest look at mental health vs civil liberties, either, but that's what needed to happen in both cases.

I still find it baffling that we spend so much on jails for people after the tragedy but spend so little, and cry so loudly, about providing forced mental health care prior to the tragedy.

I agree that mental health matters have been ignored for far too long in this country. no question.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So gun rights are the problem here?....

Who said that?

People can kill in any number of ways- true, but let's be realistic- do we carry guns because they are quick to deploy and effective in stopping attacks as opposed to other means? Of course we do. Don't these same characteristics make guns efficient, quick and effective as killing machines? Of course they do.

The title to this thread is: "Another person with no business having a gun." I agree with that. Appropriate steps to keep guns from violent felons and the mentally ill have been upheld and, in my opinion, should be. Would any of those things prevented this? No way to tell.

However, the "no restrictions, no time, no where, everyone can have guns...." dream world. Not going to happen, should not happen.

My personal position- no new laws, enforce the ones we have effectively.

Top Bottom