• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Why is it when a customer buys a gun, the salesperson will have them fill out their paper work on the display counter? There may be other potential customers that would like to see what is on display. :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Where else should they do it? Most shops I've been into are generally pretty small. Kinda hard to set aside a desk and chair to fill out paperwork.

midget96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Avoca
    I have been on both sides of the fence. I am either buying a gun or jealous of the person buying one, either way guns are still being purchased :rockwoot:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I've been in large shops that this is common practice. Billy Bob and Bubba standing at the display case doing the paper work for Billy Bob's brand new shiny HiPoint and other people would like to see the nice new shiney Sig that was just released and don't have the time to wait for Billy Bob to figure out after he was arrested for domestic violence why he can't have the nice shiney HiPoint.
    I've worked in gun shops and was always considerate of EVERY customer in the shop. I would always place the paper work where other customers could still see the display. Being considerate of other people isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I understand what you are saying, but most shops just don't have enough space to do it anywhere else. For a normal person it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to fill out a 4473 form anyway (don't get me wrong, I have seen a few that make it look like the SAT test) so it doesn't really bother me too much. I am usually in there for half hour at least just hanging out, so a couple minutes doesn't bother me, means the shop is making money!

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I've just said "pardon me, mind if I look at the guns right under there?"

Worked fine every time so far.

As a customer, I am aware of my surroundings, If someone is standing behind me, I will move to allow them to see what they are looking at and to protect my privacy. I have said "pardon me, please" and most of the time it is effective.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    I usually had customers fill it out on my dining room table. They could also use my desk, the floor, couch, or kitchen counter if they so choose. Much more cozy than in front of a dozen people leaning over a display case.

So I guess it all depends on what kind of space the shop occupies/has available.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Confidentiality in gun shops is a problem related to paperwork but I don't see it changing anytime soon. Some gun shops are just north of dysfunctional and we're probably asking for too much.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I just pay attention to who is around me while I am filling out the paperwork. If some clown gets to nosey, I stare at them or just move. I always keep a hand over anything important. Just what I do.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Being considerate of other people isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

That's easy for you to say--Have you ever been in the grocery store when the shopper ahead of you will always park/stand with their cart right in the center of the aisle, where neither side can get through? Happens all the time-NOT-right, but happens all the time..Bill.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    That's easy for you to say--Have you ever been in the grocery store when the shopper ahead of you will always park/stand with their cart right in the center of the aisle, where neither side can get through? Happens all the time-NOT-right, but happens all the time..Bill.

I just left Kroger, carts are 2 foot wide, aisles are 4 foot 1 inch wide. I HATE SHOPPING.

davis4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Our shop is too small and too dysfunctional for a better paperwork station haha I liked the dysfunctional comment but seriously... that's why...

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    I too have simply asked if I could look at the guns underneath the application. Only happened once or twice so no big deal. Glad they were getting a gun.

Top Bottom