• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a 10 gun stack on and the only problem with it is that if you have handguns you loose space for your long guns. They due come with a shelf that will hold 2 handguns if thats what you have then should work fine. It comes with hardware and is set up to mount to the floor. wife bought mine for keeping kids away from firearms. great fathers day gift. The model I have has a combination lock and it works just fine.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    those stackons can be broken into in about 10 seconds with a crow bar.... if its for keeping the kids out then great, if its for theft protection you best be looking at other (more expensive) options.

edited to add: i am assuming you are talking about the sheet metal ones that use a simple caming style lock, as opposed to inch or thicker stainless bolts.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    those stackons can be broken into in about 10 seconds with a crow bar.... if its for keeping the kids out then great, if its for theft protection you best be looking at other (more expensive) options.

edited to add: i am assuming you are talking about the sheet metal ones that use a simple caming style lock, as opposed to inch or thicker stainless bolts.

If you look at the links they look like real safes, just no fireratings and they are pretty light relatively speaking. They have the large locking bolts and what not, it's not just a glorified high school locker like ones you are mentioning.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Put a wooden dowel in the barrel of shorter guns, they will fit then.

I dont have any sentimental guns, with an alarm system, good insurance, and a locking cabinet I feel good.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Get what ever you can for now and make your next purchase a GOOD true FIRE-RATED gun safe - over 1550 degree rated. May it be a loan, save, steal from the grocery fund every month, do it. It will be one of your best investments of your life. "It will never happen to me" is the last thing you want to have to say. Fire, Theft, Kids, etc can change everything in a second. I had to borrow( gosh, at 39 still borrowing money from my parents) the money for my safe. Every day I left for work, I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. My parents must have noticed and kindly offered me a loan. Now I leave for work, trips, etc with a great piece of mind. My firearms, ammo, and legal papers are well protected!

Internet ordering will provide better prices and options, but keep in mind freight - I think mine was $195 tailgate delivery. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. You will have your safe for a very long time, make sure it is want you want. Get the biggest you can afford, but it dosen't really matter. Most everyone I know has a 2nd or even 3rd safe because firearms are like rabbits .

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I forgot to mention "closet models". Most company's offer a smaller, but full size height and lighter model usually about 20 inches deep (like the cheap steel stack-on models)- made to fit in a pantry or bedroom closet with sliding doors still clearing. Most with 1550 degree protection and half the concrete of 1880 degree( half weight if you are worried about going through a multi-floor apartment building floor) are still around a grand delivered.

Remember - You get EXACTLY what you pay for.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Another thing to consider, if you can't go with a heavy enough safe to keep them from carting it away, concealement is your friend. If you have a big walk in style closet, and have some carpentry skills, if the thieves can't find your safe they can't break into it.

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Another thing to consider, if you can't go with a heavy enough safe to keep them from carting it away, concealment is your friend. If you have a big walk in style closet, and have some carpentry skills, if the thieves can't find your safe they can't break into it.

+1

Concealment is something that should be a primary concern.

There was a Cheech & Chong moive many years ago that had a pretty funny scene. The next door neighbor had IIRC a cherry early model T-Bird classic car.

Each night? Cheech and Chong would "borrow" the car to go joy riding in.

(Cheech and Chong had built a secret door on the backside of the garage that from the inside looked like just a regular garage wall with a bunch of tools hanging on pegboard.)

Guy that owned the car almost caught them one time. He hear some noises (Cheech and Chong sneaking the car back in) and ran out to the garage. As the guy was opening the garage door, it showed the "extra" door Cheech and Chong were using swinging the secret door shut, tools on the pegboard and all closing to a perfect fit just a moment or two before the guy got the front door open.

Point is if you can hide the safe, the safer it is.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    sentry safes are good can be got from 150 to 360 dollars no fire protection therefore no weight but can be anchored well. check your local wal mart they are much better than stack on,i got one glad to have it as i am a renter and no problem moving it when needed

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    Along with concealment consider removing leverage by placement. I have a closet with lots of dead space on one side. Just enough dead space to fit the safe with less then an inch to spare.

I then drilled a couple of my own holes in the back side and floor to match up with the studs for the lag bolts. Also used 100 # drywall anchors in the original holes. with that little space they pretty much have to take down the wall to pry the safe out and walk off.

Add to that a piece of doubled cardboard painted to match the wall and cut to fit. Once the clothes are pushed over to the cardboard if you didn't know it was there you would not find it.

I know another friend that has a shorty safe in the basement for carbines. Covers it with a cardboard box labeled Christmas Decorations and piles other boxes next to it.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would avoid stackon, they are cheap and crap.

I sent Johnson Safes an email 2 wks ago with the exact idea you have. I told them how much I valued their work, and quality of their product. But it was a little steep for my wallet. Wanted to work out a payment plan, lay a way, or smaller safe. I will let you know their response, when they get back to me.

BTW...Ammo that's your weight!

If you order a Johnson Safe it will usually take 6-8 weeks to be built. You dont have to pay until it is delievered. Jeff is a great guy and is very willing to work with people to win there buisness. Another great feature is Jeff Johnson will give you 75% trade in value if you out grow your safe and want to order a bigger one.

Top Bottom