• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Vince's post got me to thinking about Vietnam and how most people who were there (at least those I know) have very little to say about it, but one of the very few stories my dad told me suggests that maybe the military should have its own Darwin Award. Dad had to investigate an incident in which some smooth operator managed to kill himself by running a motorcycle into an airplane!

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    The article says that the Pentagon created this medal, not the President. No mention of Obama anywhere.

I think you need to re-write your title to say: "Another slap in the face to the Military...by the Military."

Unless you are saying that the Pentagon is a bunch of libs?

OP noted "ADMINISTRATION of Bathhouse Barry"... this medal is the brainchild of Sec Panetta, nominated as CIA Director and then Sec Defense by Bathhouse Barry himself.

Not too hard to connect the dots.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    OP noted "ADMINISTRATION of Bathhouse Barry"... this medal is the brainchild of Sec Panetta, nominated as CIA Director and then Sec Defense by Bathhouse Barry himself.

Not too hard to connect the dots.

Indeed! Barry's merry political hacks are not (NOT!) soldiers of any description.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Giving respectability, thus acceptance to drone usage in the longrun?

:+1: With this administration, this is totally believable. You may be on to something. Give respectability and acceptance to drones now and then when the time comes to use the drones against the American people, the drone drivers will have already been conditioned and will not hesitate to launch a Hellfire missile at our families or communities when ordered to.

We may need to start researching how to hack a drone like the Iranians did.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    With this administration, this is totally believable. You may be on to something. Give respectability and acceptance to drones now and then when the time comes to use the drones against the American people, the drone drivers will have already been conditioned and will not hesitate to launch a Hellfire missile at our families or communities when ordered to.

We may need to start researching how to hack a drone like the Iranians did.

Some college kids in Texas did it a while back. I seem to recall that the apparatus they used they built for just under $1K.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why can't they just give them Achievements like with XBox Live?

376950_408922792478561_274596044_n.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As I've said elsewhere, one of my major regrets in life is that I was too stupid when I was of an age to do so to sign my name on the line and raise my right hand to serve.

I say the above solely for the sake of perspective. I have no frame of reference for the Bronze Star or other medals earned.

With that said, it is obvious even to me that one who sits on his ass in a non-combat area and plays with his joystick has done nothing to earn a place alongside those who have risked anything, let alone everything.

This is a bad idea, but no surprise from the Prevaricator-in-Chief or any of his appointees.

Those who serve deserve better.

Blessings,
    Bill

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    This is just like the issue during the air campaign in the late 90's when B-2 bomber pilots were getting hazardous duty pay and bronze medals for flying above the battlefield and dropping ordinance.

From what I also understand is that this new medal also includes those who have been fighting the war on the cyber front. Being a former soldier, I can understand the need to be recognized for your efforts in supporting our troops. Drones have done wonders for our troops overseas in helping them fight the bad guys.

That being said, there was a push back in 2004/2005 time frame to acknowledge those troops who traditionally did not qualify for the Combat Infantry Badge because they simply were not infantry, but we're in direct fire with the "enemy" (read bad guys trying to kill us). These included military police, truck drivers, EOD personnel, even cooks and fuelrs. The pentagons answer to this was the Combat Action Badge, and it gave those who tradionally not on the front lines fighting the recognition for their valiant efforts on the war on terror.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They created a new award for those who went to Bosnia because it wasn't a war zone. Some time after I left Bosnia, they upgraded us to the expeditionary. The vfw lobbied to get us the expeditionary so we would be eligible for vfw membership. So now I have 2 awards for it. Does it make sense that a guy on a navy ship hundreds of miles from the ground action would qualify for an expeditionary during desert storm but not a guy on daily patrols in Bosnia?

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I remember when they did that. While I applaud the VFW for their support of the troops, I think that may have been for other undisclosed reasons then what was said. Regardless, no it doesn't make sense for the ground troops to get jack squat while others who did not deserve them, got the recognition.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The article says that the Pentagon created this medal, not the President. No mention of Obama anywhere.

I think you need to re-write your title to say: "Another slap in the face to the Military...by the Military."

The PENTAGON has been run by a political HACK for some time now, doing Barry's bidding.

GBN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Brown County
    One thing a lot of people might not realize, that a lot of medals, the bronze star included, are just being handed out now. Like my PL and PSG for example, they're getting them for basically just doing their jobs, nothing more nothing less.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The administration of Bathhouse Barry has decided to create a new military medal that ranks higher in precedence than the Bronze Star. To earn it, all one needs to do is fly a drone from the comfort of your base, probably Vandenberg AFB, CA, and do something important.

There are actually awards already in place that can recognize this like an achievement medal, commendation medal or a Bronze Star for Service.

If the drone folks wear this medal, they'll be painting themselves as drone pilots,and I'm sure the bad guys will take note and possibly retaliate; which is why I believe Bathhouse Barry is authorizing this.

The link: New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

021313-dist-warfare-medal-800.JPG

A few questions come to mind:

1: If the drone pilots are REMFs, sitting in their air conditioned camouflaged X-box on US soil, how would anyone ever even target them because of a decoration?

2: BHO has shown that he would rather no troops be on the front, prefering to operate his 'War' by remote control, why would be want the people who fly the drones targeted?

3: How often, outside of ceremonies and Pentagon Duty, are service members required to wear their Class A uniform with decorations (be it ribbons or medals) displayed these days? When I served, it wasn't much and I've noticed that, in this day in age, it seems to be required even less.

Those questions aside, while I do understand the reasoning for recognizing excellence, I Do NOT Believe these should be awarded on an order of importance above or even commensurate to the traditional combat awards like the Silver or Bronze Star or even that of what could be awarded to pilots of fixed or rotary winged aircraft that actually have to endure SAMs, AA Fire, etc.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I remember when they did that. While I applaud the VFW for their support of the troops, I think that may have been for other undisclosed reasons then what was said. Regardless, no it doesn't make sense for the ground troops to get jack squat while others who did not deserve them, got the recognition.

I'm a VFW member, and as much as I like them, honestly, they're no different than any other organization. They're always looking to expand their membership, power, and influence, under any pretext that they can sell as reasonably legitimate.

Years ago, they expanded the "Korean War" qualification to anyone who was stationed in Korea at anytime, up to and including present day deployments. Seemed kind of cheesy to me, but it instantly qualified hundreds of thousands of veterans for VFW membership.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

GWB is blamed for every thing bad that happened during tha 8 years he served a s president, and everything bad doring the first 13 years of BHO's Precedentcy. (misspelling intentional this time)

So we will blame obummer for idiotic cr** that happens on his watch.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    True warriors don't do it for the medal. Warriors that get medals understand more than others that there were others more deserving that didn't get a medal.

Top Bottom