• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I'm looking for advice from the real 1911 aficionados.

I currently have a couple Kimbers, a Sig and a Ruger but I'm wanting to step it up. I have been looking a lot at the Ed Brown Special Forces, a little at the Wilson Combat CQB and the Dan Wesson Valor. A lower priced 1911 I have been looking at is the Springfield TRP.

What are the +/- of each and what do you recommend?

Only negative so far that I have read is the two piece guide rod of the TRP.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If I didn't already have a Wilson CQB, that would be my choice. Since I do, I believe I would go with the Ed Brown Special Forces. I don't know where you are located, but if you are thinking of dropping that kind of coin you might want to drop by the Indy Gun Club in Fishers; they have Wilsons and Ed Browns in stock, including both CQBs and Special Forces models. That way you can compare directly. As an added bonus, last time I was in there i believe they had a TRP, a Les Baer and a Valor as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My TRP has been flawless. No issues at all. Tack driver.
    Ed Brown has some very nice offerings and I understand the Valor is remarkable though I have not had the pleasure of shooting one.

My TRP has the one piece guide rod.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If the two piece guide rod is the only thing keep you from the Springer then thats the one Id go for.

Check out Wilson Combat's webstore and get a drop-in one piece. Thats how I fixed that problem on my Spinger Loaded.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    My TRP has been flawless. No issues at all. Tack driver.
    Ed Brown has some very nice offerings and I understand the Valor is remarkable though I have not had the pleasure of shooting one.

My TRP has the one piece guide rod.

What TRP model do you have? Pics?

The price on the Springer is appealing?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I pondered over the same 1911s and finally bought an Ed Brown. If you think the outside is nice looking the inside is just as nice. There are no machining drag out marks like so many others have. You can tell they put a lot of time into the making of their pistols from the detail. Also, Jason, who answers the phone, is one of the best customer service guys I have had the opportunity to talk with. I ordered an extended mag release button and he even asked the finish on my gun so they could send the button back to be satin bead blasted for a perfect match.:yesway: Attention to details...:rockwoot:

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    The Brown and Wilson are in a totally different class than the TRP. Fit and finish is superb on both but I have a sweet spot for the Ed Brown, especially in the executive elite series.

I'm not saying the TRP is a slouch, but it doesn't compare to the other two. Springer Custom would be a closer comparison.

I would rate the Valor below both, but then again you are looking at about 1k less as well.

Just my 2 cents, ymmv.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Dan Wessons are the only ones I have any first hand experience with. I think they are very nice guns and many people say that they are a bargain for the quality you get.

If someone else were footing the bill though and I could pick one from your list it would probably be an Ed Brown Executive Carry. Love the bobtailed Commanders!!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've had them all at one time or another and a Wilson would get my vote.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What TRP model do you have? Pics?

The price on the Springer is appealing?

I have the TRP Operator/Tactical.
    It ran like a race horse out of the box.
    The TLR-1 lite is blinding...160 Lumens
    Mag is 10 rd. Chip McCormick Power Mag.

karmaTRP013.jpg

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Made it over to Indy Gun Club today. Wow, they have a lot of 1911's!

After eyeing and fondling all of the Wilsons and Ed Browns, I narrowed it down to the Ed Brown Kobra Carry and a Wilson Combat CQB with a few upgrades.

The Kobra Carry felt good in my hand but the Wilson felt just a little bit better. The action on the Wilson also felt smoother. It's like the slide is on glass. I have had a lot of Kimber 1911's, including their Gold Combat, and they do not even compare to the fit and feel.

Long story short, I got Wilson. Here is a picture I snapped real quick with my cell phone. Still need to break it down and clean it. Then shoot it!

2012-12-29_17-19-38_623.jpg

2012-12-29_17-20-05_281.jpg

Thanks for the advice everyone. And thanks to Rich at IGC for helping me out today.

Top Bottom