• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Went out to put a couple hundred rounds through an Adams Arms piston kit I just unstalled on a backup AR. About 60-70 rounds in, I had a failure to extract. Ripped the rim off the steel cased, 55 grain TulAmmo I bought a few months ago when it was all I could find. I have several hundred rounds of this crap now. I had to punch it out with a cleaning rod, and I actually broke the cleaning rod... It was stuck in there pretty good. I have listened to all the online "experts" about how the new Tula was better than the old, and how the rims WON'T rip off, and the casings WON'T get stuck in the chamber. Well, the proof is in the pudding. Maybe the new piston kit cause the bolt carrier to fly back too quickly, maybe the carrier tilted a little... But that casing was lodged in there fully and did not want to come out. Garbage.

IMG_20130901_140113.jpg

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Was it lot # P389-13?

I had 4 out of 125 rounds jam just as you described last weekend.

I have posted about this over on ARFCOM. A couple more people have had the same problem as well.

Several guys over there said it was the rifle at fault, not the new purchase Tula. What they could not grasp was that I shoot 100 rounds of last years Tula before I started having problems. Yes, I cleaned the chamber after the first jam, and again after the third jam.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The word Tula translates to "Never shoot me" I gave up on cheap crap ammo a long time ago. To those of you that can run it, good for you. I got tired of beating it out of the chamber the 3rd time in 20 rounds. I gave 60 rounds to the guys shooting next to me that said they ran it all the time. Funny thing is he asked me to borrow a cleaning rod just before I left beacuse one got stuck. I don't know or care what he did with the ammo after I left.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've found Golden Tiger works a lot better. It has a similar price, but isn't nearly as available.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The word Tula translates to "Never shoot me" I gave up on cheap crap ammo a long time ago. To those of you that can run it, good for you. I got tired of beating it out of the chamber the 3rd time in 20 rounds. I gave 60 rounds to the guys shooting next to me that said they ran it all the time. Funny thing is he asked me to borrow a cleaning rod just before I left beacuse one got stuck. I don't know or care what he did with the ammo after I left.

Same here. I will not buy nor shoot steel case ammunition. WW II is over and there is no need for steel cased ammunition.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Had a Tula get stuck in my Del Ton Sport last month. Mortared the rifle to unstick the bolt, then hammered out the offending casing with a cleaning rod.

Several years ago, I was shooting Tula .45ACP in my Ruger Blackhawk when a casing got stuck in the cylinder. Had to remove the cylinder and hammer the casing out with a screwdriver. The casing had split wide open when shot. I stopped buying Tulammo after that until I got my Sport right at the beginning of the panic last year. For a while, the only ammo I could find was Tula, so I bought some when it was on the shelf at Walmart or at the LGS.

This low cost, low quality ammo has stung me twice now. No more Tulammo for me.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Same here. I will not buy nor shoot steel case ammunition. WW II is over and there is no need for steel cased ammunition.

Cheap practice?

I've never had any problems with Tulammo. Shot well over a thousand rounds of it and never a single jam or stuck case. IMO if I have a rifle that my life depends on it should shoot whatever I put in it otherwise it's not reliable to save my life. There are millions of the same problems with brass cased ammo from different manufacturers. The only reason you hear about it more from people using Tulammo is because it's cheaper than the brass cased ammo and of course it is steel cased, so people have to voice their opinion more about it to feed the Internet myth that steel cased ammo will damage your gun and this and that.

But wait! Here's some brass cased ammo that also failed...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/311621-couple-cases-jammed-my-ar.html

Just do a google search and you'll see tons of stories of Federal, Winchester, Remington, PMC, UMC, the list goes on and on. Human error occurs and mistakes happen. That's life.

If your firearm will run the Tula, use it. It's cheap... why wouldn't you? If it won't, it's because your gun sucks. Just kidding, don't get your panties in a bunch... there are a lot of guns that won't run it, but it doesnt' mean the ammo is crap. Most of my guns have a lot of failures with Remington ammo.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Cheap practice?

I've never had any problems with Tulammo. Shot well over a thousand rounds of it and never a single jam or stuck case. IMO if I have a rifle that my life depends on it should shoot whatever I put in it otherwise it's not reliable to save my life. There are millions of the same problems with brass cased ammo from different manufacturers. The only reason you hear about it more from people using Tulammo is because it's cheaper than the brass cased ammo and of course it is steel cased, so people have to voice their opinion more about it to feed the Internet myth that steel cased ammo will damage your gun and this and that.

But wait! Here's some brass cased ammo that also failed...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/311621-couple-cases-jammed-my-ar.html

Just do a google search and you'll see tons of stories of Federal, Winchester, Remington, PMC, UMC, the list goes on and on. Human error occurs and mistakes happen. That's life.

If your firearm will run the Tula, use it. It's cheap... why wouldn't you? If it won't, it's because your gun sucks. Just kidding, don't get your panties in a bunch... there are a lot of guns that won't run it, but it doesnt' mean the ammo is crap. Most of my guns have a lot of failures with Remington ammo.

Bingo. Working at a range, I see a few guns here and there that won't run steel cased ammo. If it won't run it, don't blame the gun, go home, "clean it" then try again as so many have. I've seen some Glocks and other polymer sorta-pistols that choke on Tula/Brown Bear/Wolf/(insert animal of legend here) and blech, it hated it, but would run other stuff. One gun I personally saw would not run Silver Bear but would run Brown Bear all day. Sometimes, one cannot explain this stuff.

People tend to generalize and group things in with each other that shouldn't. Did you know the French still issue steel cased ammo as the FAMAS tears the living crap out of brass casings? WW2 is over, yes, but sometimes steel cased stuff still has a place (cheap ammo, weapon design, etc...) I had two ARs that would not feed steel cased one bit, and three more that ran perfectly fine on it (slightly inaccurate but cheap and low powered). I hate the phrase as I feel it's our nation's cop out and malaise personified in words, but "It is, what it is..."

Top Bottom