• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I am new to this site and for the most part, MOST of the people here are look at the big picture. However, a SMALL NUMBER of the posters seem to keep posting anti-law enforcement posts.

I would just like to post this as a reminder that the LEO's on this site are on your side. I will admit that there are some anti-gun LEO's out there but, they are not the one's on this site. I personally along with the vast majority of my fellow LEO's would love to see a day when anyone can carry anything he/she wants anywhere.

We understand that gun control does nothing to stop criminals from carrying guns and simply disarms the hardworking everyday citizens of the fine country.

I would just like the LEO's on this site to be seen as fellow gun owners and a possible point of refrence instead of the enemy.

:ingo:Ok, I feel better and will step off of my soapbox for now. :patriot:

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I tend to agree. In fact, I think I will take a stand and say that the great majority of LEO are not only good citizens and professional but that they also hold the welfare of the general population in high esteem.

I have learned in life that respect given and not earned is worthless and so, I tend to only trust and respect those that have shown to me they are worthy of my respect. With LEO, I feel by stepping up and taking that badge and oath, they have already preemptively shown their worthiness. That is not to say that some have not tarnished their image but I believe they are a small minority and so, I give all of them my thanks and respect. I will not allow an individual to taint my respect for the group.

It cannot be an easy job when many of the people they have to deal with on a daily basis are not the 'good' people in society, everyone claims their innocence and they must show respect to those who show them none but as the saying goes, "it's a tough job but someone has to do it". For those who do, I thank you. We now live in an age where civility cannot even be had on a message board and I appreciate those who go out daily into an uncivil world to keep anarchy at bay.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I concour

I tend to agree. In fact, I think I will take a stand and say that the great majority of LEO are not only good citizens and professional but that they also hold the welfare of the general population in high esteem.

I have learned in life that respect given and not earned is worthless and so, I tend to only trust and respect those that have shown to me they are worthy of my respect. With LEO, I feel by stepping up and taking that badge and oath, they have already preemptively shown their worthiness. That is not to say that some have not tarnished their image but I believe they are a small minority and so, I give all of them my thanks and respect. I will not allow an individual to taint my respect for the group.

It cannot be an easy job when many of the people they have to deal with on a daily basis are not the 'good' people in society, everyone claims their innocence and they must show respect to those who show them none but as the saying goes, "it's a tough job but someone has to do it". For those who do, I thank you. We now live in an age where civility cannot even be had on a message board and I appreciate those who go out daily into an uncivil world to keep anarchy at bay.

:+1: Rep'd

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I am new to this site and for the most part, MOST of the people here are look at the big picture. However, a SMALL NUMBER of the posters seem to keep posting anti-law enforcement posts.

I would just like to post this as a reminder that the LEO's on this site are on your side. I will admit that there are some anti-gun LEO's out there but, they are not the one's on this site. I personally along with the vast majority of my fellow LEO's would love to see a day when anyone can carry anything he/she wants anywhere.

We understand that gun control does nothing to stop criminals from carrying guns and simply disarms the hardworking everyday citizens of the fine country.

I would just like the LEO's on this site to be seen as fellow gun owners and a possible point of refrence instead of the enemy.

There actually may be some LEOs on here that do not follow or support the 2nd Amendment as it was written. Although I will agree with you, the majority are on our side, some on here actually want more red tape to acquire a handgun.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

:yesway::yesway: + REP!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is far more to the issue than whether or not any individual police officer respects or does not respect the individual right to keep and bear arms.

For better or worse, police officers in this country are allowed a significant amount of power over those who don't have badges. Because of that, they absolutely must be held to a higher standard of conduct and citizens have not just the right but rather the obligation and responsibility to remain vigilant. This includes asking questions that may not always seem "friendly." It includes warranted criticism of the system, the profession, and individuals involved in the profession.

The same goes for all professions and positions that are allowed authority over others or require an elevated level of trust because of the potential impact they can have on our lives. That includes judges, elected officials at all levels, almost all bureaucrats, clergy, physicians and others in health-related occupations, teachers, etc. etc.

No one seems to mind as much when persons or groups involved in non-LEO professions are criticized, especially elected officials. I find this odd.

I also think that criticism of the behavior of certain individuals arises more often with respect to police officers simply because 1) they are more actively involved in the daily lives and of individuals, and 2) the amount of power they have in reality is significant.

Yes, if we don't like what they're doing we should work to change the system lawfully. Some of us try to do that, especially when we vote. However, that does not mean we should be allowed to question and criticize when we feel the need. That's a legitimate part of "the system" and in my opinion, watching and commenting on those who are entrusted in such positions is as much our duty as it is theirs to execute their duties within the limits of the law.

No groups should be above such scrutiny, and I think that the more power a group has over our daily lives, the more scrutiny they should have.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    and LEO's are under a much closer watch than most other professions. When is the last time you turned on the news and heard about a plumber who got arrested for d.u.i. or the off-duty car salesman who got in a fight?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    and LEO's are under a much closer watch than most other professions. When is the last time you turned on the news and heard about a plumber who got arrested for d.u.i. or the off-duty car salesman who got in a fight?

You got a point there...I think one of the big reasons for that is because LEOs payroll comes from the citizens where as the others are only from a private employer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's how it should be. If a plumber messes up, you end up with a little flooding in your house. If he acts maliciously, it can cost some big money.

Someone with real power over you life can end your life literally or figuratively. They can do so while apparently acting within the scope of their job, and they can do worse when they go beyond it, either due to ignorance, incompetence, negligence, or malice.

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    we all have different opions, but I am thankful for every LEO that will put there lives on the line to protect and serve for my family, just like everything, you have your good and bad. I believe the good out weighs the bad with them, we just hear all the bad

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    That's how it should be. If a plumber messes up, you end up with a little flooding in your house. If he acts maliciously, it can cost some big money.

Someone with real power over you life can end your life literally or figuratively. They can do so while apparently acting within the scope of their job, and they can do worse when they go beyond it, either due to ignorance, incompetence, negligence, or malice.

Whoever said post 14 sure called it...

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I agree with everything rhino said, but I think that it is also true that the vast majority of LEO's who are active here would be called 2A supporters.

Just a couple personal notes; my first Indiana LTCH was granted in (I think) 1983, maybe 1982 my old brain gets a little fuzzy. Anyway I got it because an LEO recommended it to me. I was working in a business where lots of cash was carried and people were being knocked in the head and a couple knocked off for the cash. This LEO said I should look in to it and explained the process. A great guy all around, by the way. So we were chatting and he said, "see that guy over there?" and I said yeah and he says "he has two guns on him now, you know how I know? Because he ALWAYS has two guns on him"! This particular guy was a bail bondsmen and a pretty decent guy as well.

And then there was the Michigan Trooper who pulled me over for speeding. He says "any guns on you?" and I said yes. He says "please let me have it" so I do and he says, "don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with citizens being armed, in fact I think everyone should be armed, I just need to be looking down doing this paperwork and don't want any surprises." He did his business, returned my gun and said "please wear your seatbelt, and slow down a little" and we were done.

Now I don't agree with "notification" laws, and I could have lied and he may have never known. I THINK Michigan is a "required to inform" state so by their law I should have told him right away, and I was legal there with my Indiana LTCH. But we were in a very rural area and I made a snap judgement that he was probably OK. I know I could have been wrong, but this guy was no slouch, fit as a fiddle, carried two full size duty guns openly, one strong side hip and the other crossdraw, and I think a third on the left ankle. Again it doesn't NECESSARILY mean he was supportive of non-LEO carry, but usually LEO's who take firearms that seriously don't have an elitest attitude that only LEO should be armed.

That's my $.02

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I guess maybe $.02 wasn't enough. One of my brothers was an LEO for 12 years before he went to private work. He was the dept. leader in questioning/interrogation and I think my brother is a great guy! I also learned that if you try to lie, you will usually get caught in it. So you have the choice of talk or don't talk, EVEN when you have no criminal activity to hide.

There are jerks in uniform just like any other vocation/profession and that is just the way life is. The funny part is that most of the time the average LEO KNOWS who the jerks are, and they wouldn't want to interact with them either.

Another $.02

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009

I really appreciate this post. While browsing any given site, I always hated gratuitous cop-bashing threads most of all, because they destroy a bond of trust that must exist (IMO) in order for the part highlighted above to become reality. It becomes difficult, if not impossible to discuss Constitutional issues that I consider of vital importance when someone has an axe to grind against LEOs. Through articles, postings, and private off-duty conversations I've been reminded, in so many words, "Understand this. We don't make the law - we enforce the law. If you really have a problem with this particular issue, get the law changed (or repealed)." The place to do that is in the legislature. (Some suggest the judiciary, but I don't agree.)
    My best friend and main shootin' buddy is a LEO/armorer/collector/hunter and competitive shooter (when he has the time). Many instructors I've met or trained with have LE backgrounds. I never wanted that job and have never been disrespectful to an LEO at the side of the road or anywhere else. I actually enjoy talking to my Sheriff, like the two before him, when he signs my Form 4s. He trusts me and I trust him and that's all that matters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom