any “unrestricted right” is not a right.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Shocking!

I'm thoroughly shocked that a college professor would take such a position!

There's not an original thought in the entire article. He's just repeating the standard BS.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    they let this guy teach???????? oh, pol sci, makes sense. does he not realize the .gov set up a program to put battle rifles in the hands of the populace who have shown a genuine interest in them?

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    As usual, what a bunch of horse s***! And there are hoardes of people out there buying into it.

Two things in particular:

1. Something has to be rugulated to be a "right"? I knew better than that in the fourth grade as i'm sure all of you did too.

2. What on earth is the relevance of how any of our closest allies handle this issue in their country. They don't base their decisions on OUR constitution.

That's all, i have to go vomit now.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I've read that part about rights not being rights 3 times and I still can't figure out what his actual point is.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm thoroughly shocked that a college professor would take such a position!

There's not an original thought in the entire article. He's just repeating the standard BS.

I read the article and had in mind points I wanted to take apart. Then I started reading the posts in the thread.

DRob;3318816 is right, there is not a original thought in the entire article. So why take apart half truths and outright BS that has already been debunked so many times on this forum? Just another Anti Gun nut job with his head up his butt. And to think this is supposedly an educated man, shameful.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    bs-meter.gif

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Let me be explicit: an “unrestricted right to gun ownership” is not a right. In fact, any “unrestricted right” is not a right. For rights to be genuine, for rights to be effective, for rights to be humane, for rights to be rights, they must be placed into social and political contexts — and that means regulation.
    At that point, a right then becomes a privilege, and that is not what the Constitution is about. But I am crazy to think that this "Wise and Learned" Professor would understand that.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Let me be explicit: an “unrestricted right to gun ownership” is not a right. In fact, any “unrestricted right” is not a right. For rights to be genuine, for rights to be effective, for rights to be humane, for rights to be rights, they must be placed into social and political contexts — and that means regulation.
    At that point, a right then becomes a privilege, and that is not what the Constitution is about. But I am crazy to think that this "Wise and Learned" Professor would understand that.

Does the right to free speech, include slander?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You do lav e thbe right to lie ask any politician.

However if you spread untruths about someone with means to persue it, they also hav e the right to sue you.

The court can not prosecute you criminaly, only civily.
    The general rule of ettiquit is BE CIVIL.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From the article:

For rights to be genuine, for rights to be effective, for rights to be humane, for rights to be rights, they must be placed into social and political contexts — and that means regulation.

Rights are those things that exist before government and what you can do freely yourself as long as you do not violate someone else's rights. Regulation of rights is a violation of rights and the constitution protects our unalienable rights FROM government.

Top Bottom