• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A while back, I was convinced that a Glock 38 would be an interesting carry gun and looked into finding one. But they are pretty hard to find and I let that idea go. Recently, I saw one at an LGS and am not wondering if it still might make sense to trade something for a G38. What appeals to me about the Glock 38 is having a .45 in a Glock 23 size handgun. My G23 is a fantastic gun and having that size gun in a .45 sounds pretty good. I know that there are small differences in the dimensions, but the two are pretty darn close. I don't like the G36 capacity. The G30 does not fit the holsters I have for the G19/G23 and I don't think the G30S does either.

On the other hand, I have a couple of mid-size 1911s that give me the same 8+1 capacity in a genuine .45 ACP instead of the GAP.

Does anyone favor the .45 GAP round for SD, or more particularly, the Glock 38?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I don't care for the .45 GAP and don't own a pistol chambered for it. The most compelling reason I can imagine is 45 GAP was available during the ammunition shortages when more common cartridges were not.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am NOT a glock fan, neither am I a hater.

I just see no reason for this gun, or cal.

My opinion, it is a problem, in search of an answer .....

It is like a .45 short.....

If you already have a "REAL" .45, save your money, and buy more ammo.....

Just My Humble opinion .....

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot a box of ammo through one. Nothing wrong with the caliber, it performed pretty well. All that would throw me off is that I would have to stock another variant of .45 brass, and that the GAP brass is not exactly easy ( or cheap) to find. Being a semi automatic, it would be another negative for brass loss. To me, that is a big negative for a pistol I would shoot often. That is part of the reason I gave up on the .45 auto mag.

If the desire for a .45 GAP is all about what pistol you carry and shoot only occasionally, that would be a reasonable choice. Modern powders do not really need as much space in the case, so it is not like you are giving up cartridge performance due to lack of powder.

varkman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    I really never saw the point of the .45 GAP ( I understand that it would fit a standard Glock frame, but it was just too out there, to me) Not being a Glock guy I guess if I wanted to buy a .45 and wanted a Glock, I'd have to go with the Full size .45ACP...Of course I want a Model 26 really bad!, or a 19.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the replies folks. After thinking about it a bit more, I decided that it just does not make sense right now. A couple of years ago when I was in the 'gun a month' club, I'd probably have picked it up just to see if I liked it. With a kid in college, money is tight, so gun purchases need to make more sense now than they did back then and this one does not pass muster. The brass would be an issue too. When I clean brass, I have to sort 9mm from .380. If doing .40, I have to sort .40 S&W from 10mm brass. But, if doing .45, I only have .45 ACP and have never run across a random .45 GAP case, so .45 is easy for me. No need to stand it and sort tall from short. Adding .45 GAP would change that.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Out of the handfull of State Police agencies that jumped on the 45 Gap Glock (about 3) I believe there might only be 1 or 2 left if that. PA dumped them in short order to go to a SIG 227, The good thing about a 45 GAP is I can run them through my 625 but I am so covered in regular 45 AXP brass and availibility not my standard practice. So with so many other chocies and more availibility of other rounds to me it wouldn't be worth a whole transition. I even got rid of all my 40 guns because it was sort of a adopted step child round and you can find it everywhere too.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have one. I don't carry it, but it's probably one of the easiest guns I have to shoot. I've never experienced a problem finding ammo online for a decent price.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    While others have decried the GAP as an answer to a question nobody asked, I see it differently (though I've got NO first-hand experience with it, mind you). My fingers being as short as they are, the idea of a lower-pressure (less "snappy") big-bore fitting in a frame the size of a 9/40 platform certainly intrigues me. I've had a couple of G36's during my "quest", but moved away from both for the simple fact that the grip of the 36 is too "deep" front to back, making my reach to the trigger not quite the right fit, regardless of the slimmer grip. A shorter "depth" 45 appeals to me, at least on paper.

Never fired one, though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While others have decried the GAP as an answer to a question nobody asked, I see it differently (though I've got NO first-hand experience with it, mind you). My fingers being as short as they are, the idea of a lower-pressure (less "snappy") big-bore fitting in a frame the size of a 9/40 platform certainly intrigues me. I've had a couple of G36's during my "quest", but moved away from both for the simple fact that the grip of the 36 is too "deep" front to back, making my reach to the trigger not quite the right fit, regardless of the slimmer grip. A shorter "depth" 45 appeals to me, at least on paper.

Never fired one, though.

That's been what has attracted me to them as well. I have a G23 and the idea of having a .45 in that frame is appealing. But, not enough right now to make it worth giving it a try. I'll still with the G23/G27 combo and will use my mid-size 1911s for concealed carry of a .45.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    While the GAP is a reliable and perfectly fine round, I ended up giving mine to my Father-in-law.

He is not really a shooter and just wanted something for the night stand. He won't shoot 50 rounds a year so ammo price/avail is pretty much a non issue.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    A simpler solution would be a Springfield XDS.
    I love mine and have since sold off all my glocks and went with springfield.
    Go test fire one and you will see the light.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have several 37's, 38's, and a 39. They are great, excellent soft-shooting .45's that, sadly, never caught on. The 21 is too big for my hand and the 37 fits perfectly. The 38 is the best shooting Glock I've ever shot, and I also have/am comparing this to the 17/19.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have several 37's, 38's, and a 39. They are great, excellent soft-shooting .45's that, sadly, never caught on. The 21 is too big for my hand and the 37 fits perfectly. The 38 is the best shooting Glock I've ever shot, and I also have/am comparing this to the 17/19.

That's what has always made it a compelling choice in carry guns. I'll have to give it a try one day, but I don't think I can go that route right now.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Have on in every size and really enjoy all of them. I don't understand why they haven't caught on but what's not to like about 45 ACP ballistics in a 9MM size pistol? As others have said very accurate and soft shooting.. If you want to give my 38 a test run Tim let me know and I'll bring it along to Parabellum with some ammo.. Ammo is usually a couple dollars more than ACP if you buy in bulk.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- CertifiedM&P armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Top Bottom