• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Are there any members here on INGO that are active military?

I've been considering a career in the army, but I want to discuss it with someone who is actually enlisted and dealing with it all first hand before talking with a recruiter

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can't help you personally...

But a very good friend of mine joined the ING last spring. (he was done with BT and AIT right before Labor Day)

He's 31y.o. and single.

He now wishes he'd have enlisted Active rather than ING....

He REALLY wishes now that he'd have graduated college rather than quitting with a semester to go. That'd have really helped him out in his present situation (both in the ING and out)

-J-

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm not active. I will be commissioning in May into the Navy and going active duty some time later this year when space opens up at flight school. I have a lot of friends from high school that enlisted. About half and half right out of school or after about a year of school.

Do you have a degree or any college experience? I have friends that are happy and successful enlisted. But the general consensus from those who started college prior to enlisting is that they wish they'd finished. I know the Army and Navy both have degree completion commissioning programs. I'd bet AF and Marines do too. If you have a degree or significant college credits, I'd look into those.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I'm overwhelmed by the fast responses and offers of information! I knew I loved INGO for a reason.

To answer your question: No I do not have a degree, nor do I have any college experience (had to come straight out of high school and into the work force)

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I guess I won't be of much help then. I talked to the ING about delayed entry my junior year of H.S., but ended up picking up a Navy scholarship..and that was a while ago.

The only basic advice I'd give is look at ASVAB prep info to make sure you've got a firm grasp on all subject areas. The higher your score, the more opportunities you have. Get any incentives in writing and run anything a recruiter says by knowledgeable friends or at least on here before you make a decision. Best of luck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You had probably better consider carefully what you want to do and how much it might bother you to go into a combat zone before you enlist. Unless you are planning to enter a medical field, you can probably plan on several deployments to Afghanistan during your first enlistment. Depending upon whether or not you become a door-kicker (infantry/security) or a driver (transportation/ordnance) or get into some other career field, you may or may not have time to get courses in toward a college degree, even while you are deployed. No matter what you end up doing, you will find that successfully completing an enlistment will help you to find a job on the outside. Combat Arms skills aren't directly transferable, but self-discipline, leadership training, and self-confidence are transferable.

shanenindy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I am active duty Army just returned home from my 3rd deployment. If you have any questions message me anytime.

Top Bottom