Any advice for someone who will soon be living in the city for the first time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm getting ready to graduate from college in May and will be starting medical school in the fall. I'm attending IU school of medicine in Indy, and will be getting an apartment in the city (not sure exactly where yet) sometime before school starts. I have a glock 19 and plan to apply for my ltch within the next few weeks.

I guess what I'm wondering is... Is there anything I need to keep in mind living in the city? Any potential situations I may be unaware of? Areas/behaviors to avoid? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm used to suburban and college living, and don't want to be caught unprepared living in the city. Thanks in advance :yesway:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    and btw, congrats on getting into med school. dont forget us non-physician healthcare workers when you're out; we're not as bad as some of your attendings make us out to be. ;)

gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    and btw, congrats on getting into med school. dont forget us non-physician healthcare workers when you're out; we're not as bad as some of your attendings make us out to be. ;)

Thanks! I will keep that in mind. Although I've got quite a long road ahead of me til that point haha

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    When I'm in Indy I try to hold my breath as much as possible.
    The smell from the crap in the State House could gag a buzzard.
    Mike

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Indianapolis is still one of the safer cities for its size.
    If your smart enough to study medicine, you'll be fine.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Indy isn't "bad" but some areas are worse than others. IMHO, The further from The Circle the better.

Last edited:

Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    Basbeaux Pizza

World class pizza in Broad Ripple. Also one place downtown. My brother got me hooked on it when he went to med school. Hang in there. You don't really need to sleep.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Everyone has their favorite part of the city and reasons why, so I don't want to start one of those discussions. It sounds to me like you want to be close to school. Consider living near an I-65 exit, like say Lafayette Rd. You can get to the campus and park in about 15 minutes. There will still be questionable areas to live and you'll have to check it out.

Also consider far western Marion County or one of the western burbs.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Really? I have several friends that live downtown Indianapolis. I find it enjoyable and very secure (of course, I have lived in Chicago and DC).

Where will you be living?

Congrats on med school. I'll bet mom's happy!:D

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Born, raised, work in the City. I live/work on the east side (oh the horror!!!!) Safety/comfort will depend on what you are willing to pay.

MANY IU med students live just off campus at Lockfield Gardens. Worth a look.
    Sexton Companies: Apartment Homes For Rent, Corporate and Short-Term Apartments

Gardens of Canal Ct. Another great complex across the street from IUPUI that many students live.

Next door to them is Canal Square Apartments, equally nice.
    Downtown Indianapolis Apartments for rent at Canal Square Apts Managed By Barrett & Stokely

Also on the canal is Canal Overlook
    Canal Overlook Apartments

These will all allow you to walk to campus rather than drive and find a parking spot.
    I figured you wanted REAL help rather than opinions on living in Indy.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Everyone has their favorite part of the city and reasons why, so I don't want to start one of those discussions. It sounds to me like you want to be close to school. Consider living near an I-65 exit, like say Lafayette Rd. You can get to the campus and park in about 15 minutes. There will still be questionable areas to live and you'll have to check it out.

Also consider far western Marion County or one of the western burbs.

West street exit is backed up every morning.

gregr507

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fishers
    Born, raised, work in the City. I live/work on the east side (oh the horror!!!!) Safety/comfort will depend on what you are willing to pay.

MANY IU med students live just off campus at Lockfield Gardens. Worth a look.

Gardens of Canal Ct. Another great complex across the street from IUPUI that many students live.

Next door to them is Canal Square Apartments, equally nice.
    Downtown Indianapolis Apartments for rent at Canal Square Apts Managed By Barrett & Stokely

Also on the canal is Canal Overlook
    Canal Overlook Apartments

These will all allow you to walk to campus rather than drive and find a parking spot.
    I figured you wanted REAL help rather than opinions on living in Indy.

Thank you, this is VERY helpful! I've been looking for this type of info :yesway:

Also thank you to those who congratulated me on med school, I'm very excited (and nervous).

So it sounds like Indy is pretty safe in general. That's good to know. I think I generally use pretty good judgment, so I'm not too nervous, just curious if there was anything I should be aware of!

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    be aware,, and you'll be safe in Indy,,, butt don't bend over for the soap in Bloomington,,, it's soap on a rope ,, and it's tied to the drain!

Top Bottom