• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Wife orders it, I may be mistaken. I’ll go look. The package now is vacuume sealed envelope/bag. My I pad is dieing may be a moment

I'm kinda hoping I don't like it, as the cost with shipping is kinda nuts...lol!

I need to get to Bee or Quills or some roaster nearby so I can get something that's not going to cost me more than ~$15/bag plus gas.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For me, good beans are whole beans, locally roasted, not burned, and LESS than a week old (after roasting). So many of the flavors coffee beans are capable of are aromatic and volatile (not to mention oxidation). Once they're gone, they're gone.

I say whole beans because grinding increases the surface area so much they're only good for maybe up to 3 days after grinding (IMHO).

I'm fortunate in to have a friend who's a full-time roaster.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm fine trying that out. It's showing on the site as medium roast. Is that the same thing or do they have different roast levels for each blend?

I knew someone would give me guff over that... :facepalm:

:):
    Doesn’t say the roast on the label it red label with green stripe says stewarts whole bean, she is napping I’ll ask her when she wakes up. Gotta charge i pad thingy

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For me, good beans are whole beans, locally roasted, not burned, and LESS than a week old (after roasting). So many of the flavors coffee beans are capable of are aromatic and volatile (not to mention oxidation). Once they're gone, they're gone.

I say whole beans because grinding increases the surface area so much they're only good for maybe up to 3 days after grinding (IMHO).

I'm fortunate in to have a friend who's a full-time roaster.

Nice. Yeah, I only use whole beans. Never pre-ground.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Starbucks burns their beans in my opinion.

I think the key is to figure out what area of the world that you prefer your coffee from. Mine is Caribbean, Columbia, etc.

I really dislike African beans. The have an acidic and harsh taste.
    Try some Sumatran coffee.
    Any that I've tried don't have that high altitude brightness.
    With that being said, I do like me some Sidamo from Ethiopia.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For years and years I drank my coffee with cream and sugar, which hid a multitude of sins. After switching to black I'm a lot pickier. I can still drink pretty much anything, but as I said above, I don't always enjoy it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Nice. Yeah, I only use whole beans. Never pre-ground.
    OK, It is the medium roast, she stoped getting dark roast when they stopped offering it whole bean, you can only get the dark preground. And I absolutely won’t do that. Again good luck with it, it’s one of few luxuries I allow myself.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    OK, It is the medium roast, she stoped getting dark roast when they stopped offering it whole bean, you can only get the dark preground. And I absolutely won’t do that. Again good luck with it, it’s one of few luxuries I allow myself.
    Very odd that they only provide the Private Blend in whole bean.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Find a good local roaster or a small batch roaster
    Plenty of good roasters in Indy area. My daughter sells a lot of coffee related products and does customer support to a few places around indy. She just visited and dropped her off at the airport yesterday.
    She brought my wife and I some early Christmas gifts. New grinder and scale.
    Place she worked for sent her to Central America to visit coffee plantations just be more informed and how the process works C839ECF0-9762-4135-AE05-2D05869BFA5B.jpeg 1FE38C48-C8AB-4F59-BB4D-17BB7471F6CF.jpeg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was using Starbucks Italian roast for a while and was pretty happy with the results. I like the dark roasty flavor and that might be part of why I'm not digging this Veranda blend. I know Starbucks isn't great, but it's usually on sale and the Italian roast wasn't horrid. I do want to try some local roaster dark roasts though as well.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Haven't tried the pour over or moka pot yet. Both seemed a bit more finicky than I'd prefer. My hopes were on the clever dripper for a while and honestly I might need to give that another try, but I'm going to keep trying the Aeropress for a while until I either make a great cup, or exhaust all attempts.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Pour overs are a piece of cake. Get this one below. It allows you to pour the water before you place it on the mug to drain. This allows the coffee to steep for a while. Put it on the mug and it starts to drain. Pick it up and it stops. Don't waste your time with one that just pours through immediately.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Pour overs are a piece of cake. Get this one below. It allows you to pour the water before you place it on the mug to drain. This allows the coffee to steep for a while. Put it on the mug and it starts to drain. Pick it up and it stops. Don't waste you time with one that just pours through immediatley.

Amazon product ASIN B09TQ8257Y

The link didn't work, but that sounds a lot like the clever dripper that I already own.

Top Bottom