• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I am looking for a tilia cordata. I have checked with the local nursuries to no avail. Does anyone know who might have them and if it is too late to plant one?

Thanks.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I hope not! You and your kind can keep that kind of disgusting behavior to yourselves...oh wait a minute...sorry...got that confused with something else...carry on.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    RareFindNursery.com
    957 Patterson Road
    Jackson, NJ 08527
    732-833-0613

This is where I go to find rare plants. I searched their site and found 3 subcordatas, but not the tilia. You might give them a call if no one else can help. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

I ordered a rare dogwood from them 3 years ago and had it shipped from NJ. Still doing fine in the front yard.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Little leaf lindens are pretty common trees but not without their problems. They are "candy" to Japanese beetles and tend to attract bees when in bloom. Where are you located? BTW now is a great time to plant them if you can find a nursery that has some. The nurseries are starting to dig some trees for fall planting so they should become available.

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks, all. It should not be so rare as to order from out of state. If it comes down to that, I might as well get a pure one from Europe.

I knew it attracts bees and I view that as a positive thing. I don't know much about Japanese beetles.

I'm in Central IN, by the way.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Now is fine to plant, or better wait until it drops its leaves and goes dormant. Basswood or Linden honey is considered delicate and light and choice.

The native basswood, Tilia americana, is very common and should also do well for you if you are considering planting in a place you don't mind a full a sized tree.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Now is fine to plant, or better wait until it drops its leaves and goes dormant. Basswood or Linden honey is considered delicate and light and choice.

The native basswood, Tilia americana, is very common and should also do well for you if you are considering planting in a place you don't mind a full a sized tree.

Will the roots continue growing after the leaves fall?

Abnk, I work at a wholesale/retail nursery in fort wayne and we sell a lot of Tilia cordata 'Greenspire'. Grown locally.

Is Greenspire a cultivar or another name for tilia cordata?

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    'Greenspire' is a cultivar. Not the straight species that might be found in the wild. Better in many aspects. Very easy to grow, very drought tolerant, nice foliage and form.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah the cultivar still carries over the same (if not more) flower qualities of the species. I've never tasted the flowers, but after reading up on it, i might next year!

This tree is the most popular variety of linden. It's basically all we sell other than a few 'Sterling Silver' Linden.

Tried PMing you back, post count not high enough.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Yeah the cultivar still carries over the same (if not more) flower qualities of the species. I've never tasted the flowers, but after reading up on it, i might next year!

This tree is the most popular variety of linden. It's basically all we sell other than a few 'Sterling Silver' Linden.

Tried PMing you back, post count not high enough.

Thanks. I didn't realize you couldn't PM. What is your nursery's name?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom