• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Just wanted to find some archers. I had a couple of questions. Got a new bow for Christmas, a Matthews Mission. :rockwoot:It's the same as the solo cam. Rated at 300 fps! I want to try new arrows and broadheads this year. I have seen these new arrows called Mega Thrust. They are all glueless. The shaft has pre cut slits for the fletching and the fletchings look just like the ones for darts. The inserts have a very small set screw inside for tuning. The nock is also glueless. They are made so that they are extreemly easy to tune yourself. Very cool set-up but the arrows are a little salty, about $70 for 6 but they are supposed to be extremely durable. Also want to use Magnus broadheads. I really like the looks of the 2 blade BUzzcuts but wanted to know if it's hard to sharpen the serrations or do you even sharpen the serrated part.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'm not an Archer...but I have to tell someone this so are you ready for a Hijack?

I shot my first bow and arrow Saturday (Is that the right term? shot?). 3 out of 5 were bullseyes. I'm so proud of myself. It was a buttload of fun.

End Hijack.

Hope you find the answers you were looking for. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    congrats on the bow!
    Ive not heard of those arrows..Ill have to give em a look. I mainly shoot trad bows so my arrows are wood{usually cedar} with the exception of my target recurve which is a blackwidow SAG,I shoot carbons off that{gold tips} as far as broad heads go I really like magnus heads. I use the buzz cuts as well as the snuffers and they shoot very well for me plus they have a 100% warranty on them which means no matter what happens to them they will replace them. last fall I shot a doe and made a pass through shot,the arrow hit a rock and damaged the broad head{flattened the tip} I could of fixed it myself but wanted to try there warranty..called em up and they sent me a brand new one no questions asked and they didnt even want the damaged one back.
    I also tried rage broadheads last year for the first time and WOW! if I didnt like shooting wood arrows so much Id use rage heads exclusivly. shot a deer and couldnt believe the wound it made,it looked like someone shoved a butcher knife in it.
    if your going to use your bow for mostly hunting just take her into a pro shop and have them set you up with some arrows..the old easton XX78 super slam arrows are hard to beat. just dont have em fletched with neon pink and chartruse feathers or vanes cause those are my colors:)::rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just wanted to find some archers. I had a couple of questions. Got a new bow for Christmas, a Matthews Mission. :rockwoot:It's the same as the solo cam. Rated at 300 fps! I want to try new arrows and broadheads this year. I have seen these new arrows called Mega Thrust. They are all glueless. The shaft has pre cut slits for the fletching and the fletchings look just like the ones for darts. The inserts have a very small set screw inside for tuning. The nock is also glueless. They are made so that they are extreemly easy to tune yourself. Very cool set-up but the arrows are a little salty, about $70 for 6 but they are supposed to be extremely durable. Also want to use Magnus broadheads. I really like the looks of the 2 blade BUzzcuts but wanted to know if it's hard to sharpen the serrations or do you even sharpen the serrated part.

Serrated anything is going to be more difficult to sharpen than a straight blade. I've never sharpened the serrated ones but the ones like razor blades, I take them apart and hold the blade by it's self in vice gripes and sharpen them like I would a fillet knife on my Lansky crock sticks and they come out razor sharp. Lanske also makes a rod for sharpening serrated blade knives and I have use it for knives. It works pretty well on a knife.

ahunt36.jpg

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Serrated anything is going to be more difficult to sharpen than a straight blade. I've never sharpened the serrated ones but the ones like razor blades, I take them apart and hold the blade by it's self in vice gripes and sharpen them like I would a fillet knife on my Lansky crock sticks and they come out razor sharp. Lanske also makes a rod for sharpening serrated blade knives and I have use it for knives. It works pretty well on a knife.

ah totally spaced on addressing that question. Jack is rite,serrated blades are harder to sharp than a straight blade but its really not to hard to sharpen serrated broad heads. Ive used the lansky cone sharpener and it does a good job but I prefer the DMT sharpener for broadheads as the one I have is a bit smaller and easier to work,the lansky I have is just a tad to big for my taste..either one will get the job done.
    Ive heard of people making several kills with the same magnus broad head and never sharpening the head..they claim its just as sharp going through multiple animals as it was the day they took it out of the pack...not sure if I believe that at all and seems a bit careless to me but to each there own..I will say that the magnus heads I use do hold an edge very well.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ah totally spaced on addressing that question. Jack is rite,serrated blades are harder to sharp than a straight blade but its really not to hard to sharpen serrated broad heads. Ive used the lansky cone sharpener and it does a good job but I prefer the DMT sharpener for broadheads as the one I have is a bit smaller and easier to work,the lansky I have is just a tad to big for my taste..either one will get the job done.
    Ive heard of people making several kills with the same magnus broad head and never sharpening the head..they claim its just as sharp going through multiple animals as it was the day they took it out of the pack...not sure if I believe that at all and seems a bit careless to me but to each there own..I will say that the magnus heads I use do hold an edge very well.

Mine is a triangle shape. I need to check out that cone I've never seen one. I did use mine to sharpen some pinking shears scissors for my wife and she was pretty tickled with the result.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im a avid bowhunter and i shoot a mathews switchback. you cant go wrong with beman arrows and the rage 2 is the first expandable ive ever used and i love them. chuck adams has always been against the use of a expandable broadhead and he even broke down and his exact words were "they finally got the expandable right"

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    im a avid bowhunter and i shoot a mathews switchback. you cant go wrong with beman arrows and the rage 2 is the first expandable ive ever used and i love them. chuck adams has always been against the use of a expandable broadhead and he even broke down and his exact words were "they finally got the expandable right"

I am new to bowhunting (just got into it last year).

I was recommended and love beman arrows and I have the rage 3. Same as the rage 2 but with three blades instead of 2. I have not had a chance to take a deer yet, but I did some pest control at my brother-in-laws. those things will mess a coon up!!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I use Easton alluminum carbon wrapped arrows.

When it comes down to it though...I killed deer in Tx 10 yrs ago with big fat crappy gold color alluminum arrows and the indians used sticks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZCYnbIxy8w]YouTube - Razortip vs Mechanicals[/ame]

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have used many, but just end up using cheap fixed blade heads. I still have complete pass throughs and blood trails a blind person could follow. I use them a time or two and throw them away.

At 300 fps you could sling a log at em and get a kill.

Archery is less about the equipment, more about skill.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    My bow had been sitting for a while before I got it back out last year. It would've been the year before but the guy I always dealt with for my archery needs passed away (Jim Sullivan-Willow Point Archery in Linton). I did manage to take my first deer with a bow last season and now I've got the bug to upgrade to a better one. I currently shoot an old school PSE Carroll Intruder with Easton Gamegetters' and Hypershock broad heads. There have been far better advancements in bows since this thing was made. It's decisions, decisions considering a new one though. :dunno:

A buddy of mine is supposed to get a list of upcoming 3D shoots at the Greene/Sullivan State Forest hosted by the Sherwood Bowmen. Any one else know of any 3D shoots taking place this year?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    As far as bowhunting goes, I don't think you can go wrong with a muzzy, at least out of a compound. If you want a good durable arrow that is affordable I would suggest a gold tip. Probably a 55/75. Don't buy arrows and get them cut and fletched until you have a broadhead picked out. ( I know you are wondering how to do this) The reason I say this is because you should have your arrows (at least your hunting arrows) fletched with your broadheads, that is if you are shooting 3 blade broadheads. If you do this you won't ever have to move your pins once you get them set. (from field points to broadheads) This is if you choose a 3 blade fixed broadhead. If you do not then I really don't have any suggestions. I would not go out a blow a wad of money on arrows though because no matter how much of a crack shot you might seem to be, if you haven't shot very much archery you are going to lose arrows. Defintley would go with some kind of carbon/graphite arrow though. They stay straight and are more duralble than aluminum.

brianinarng52d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Beman arrows are for sure good arrows, I went to a 3D shoot with some friends last year and my buddy hit the steel portion of a target dead on and the knock came off but the arrow was fine, he put the knock back on and shot the arrow the rest of the day. I was impressed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am new to bowhunting (just got into it last year).

I was recommended and love beman arrows and I have the rage 3. Same as the rage 2 but with three blades instead of 2. I have not had a chance to take a deer yet, but I did some pest control at my brother-in-laws. those things will mess a coon up!!

i took a doe last year with my rage and was extreamly impressed. i hit her close to prefect and she fell within 30 yards. ive tryed tons of diffrent heads but ive never had one fly as true or open up a wound like the rage

LACK9090

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Indy
    I shot the Beman Hunters last season and have recently switched to the Carbon Express Maxima. The Carbon Express are more expensive but seem to travel much faster than the Beman I was shooting. As far as broadheads go I shoot the G5 Strikers and won't switch to anything else.

Top Bottom