• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've seen those recumbent bicycles & they are pretty quick, not sure I'd ride one though, I look "dorky" enough on my mtn bike as it is.

Besides I'd probably crash the darn thing every 10' or so while trying to ride it LOL
    IF you think you look dorky you should see me. Full racing kit with a backpack and over the glasses sunglasses on either a steel or carbon fiber road bike. Itll even be even worse this winter in the snow as Ill be using a full face downhill helmet on a crossbike. So what if you look dorky, but maybe I say that because I have the legs to back it up if someone laughs I leave them in the dust. The crashing this is also the reason I have never bought a recumbent yet as well they seem to prefer open long stretches not inner city stop and go.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    IF you think you look dorky you should see me. Full racing kit with a backpack and over the glasses sunglasses on either a steel or carbon fiber road bike. Itll even be even worse this winter in the snow as Ill be using a full face downhill helmet on a crossbike. So what if you look dorky, but maybe I say that because I have the legs to back it up if someone laughs I leave them in the dust. The crashing this is also the reason I have never bought a recumbent yet as well they seem to prefer open long stretches not inner city stop and go.

Ok now I have to see a photo of you, on your bike, in your riding attire!

I'm getting ready to walk out the door to do some trail riding/picnic with the family, I'll ask my wife to take her camera along & we'll compare who looks the dorkiest! (as if that previous pic of me wasn't dorky enough).

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ok now I have to see a photo of you, on your bike, in your riding attire!

I'm getting ready to walk out the door to do some trail riding/picnic with the family, I'll ask my wife to take her camera along & we'll compare who looks the dorkiest! (as if that previous pic of me wasn't dorky enough).
    Ill have a picture up as well. Maybe we should start a contest? :):

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ill have a picture up as well. Maybe we should start a contest? :):

LOL here is my contest entry ..

IMAG0011.jpg

Anyway it was a great day to ride, beautiful weather, a nice cool breeze, lots of wildlife out & about, we had a really good time today.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    First off I think that is great and think you will enjoy it.

If you go with a hybrid our Mountain bike you will be OK, because they sit you more upright and that it much more comfortable starting out. The biggest thing is the spoke so of the wheels and racers will go with the absolute bare minimum - fewer spokes equal less wind resistance and weight. I am sure you won't be looking at that. I weigh 250 and have punished my Trek MB on trails all over IN with 0 hardware failure. If you are riding on the road that is even better. I agree with the above mentioned $500 minimum price expectation, and go to a real bike store. I have an old road bike that I used to race with and wondered if I had enough spoke count, but it has been fine the few times that I have had it out.

Good Luck :)

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    LOL here is my contest entry ..

IMAG0011.jpg

Anyway it was a great day to ride, beautiful weather, a nice cool breeze, lots of wildlife out & about, we had a really good time today.
    I should be able to top this :): Ill get my tripod out of storage or have zephri down here and then Ill have my picture up.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I dunno, topping the pink "princess" BMX bike & pink "barbie" helmet is going to take some serious dorkery!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have a gt zaskar and weigh 260 and have zero problems mines a so-cal made bike

That's a really nice bicycle! I am not sure I'd want to drop that much dough on a bicycle unless I was into riding competitively or something though.

Anyway I'm 275lbs & when I am not riding my youngest daughters pink princess BMX bike, I ride a $200 Mongoose Deception that I bought at the local Walmart, here is a link;

Men's All-Terrain Bike Mongoose - Walmart.com

Granted which ever Walmart employee setup my Mongoose was an idiot, but as soon as I got it home I went through it and re-set it up the way it should had been done in the first place, I did have to take the wheels to the LBS to have the spokes trued (since I don't have a wheel rig here at home) but for the most part it was quick & easy to get it set up properly.

And I've been very pleased with my $200 Mongoose Deception so far, it rides really nice over the bumps & stumps thanks to the front suspension & 29" tires & it stops really nice thanks to the dual disk brakes, which you can really appreciate when you are going down a really steep incline & you weigh as much as I do.

The Shimano gears & SRAM grip shifters (once setup properly) shift quickly, smoothly & quietly, the crank has developed a slight creaking noise after riding it in rain a few times, so I'll have to re-grease it or perhaps replace it with a sealed unit.

I'll probably just re-grease it because I'm sort of a tight-wad.

Anyway once I got all of the "Mongoose" stickers off of it it actually looked pretty decent too, I've probably only rode it a couple hundred or so miles at this point (a mix of both on & off-road riding) but so far no mechanical problems other than the crank is starting to creak a little.

I wouldn't mind owning an actual custom shop Mongoose mtn bike, but alas ... those are sort of out of my price-range, but I'm pretty happy tooling around on my fake "big box store" Mongoose.

Top Bottom