• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coolhuntermike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Goshen
    Wondering if there are any bird hunters out there and what kind of dogs your hunting with.

I am currently torn between two breeds and trying to figure out what to get. Its down to a pointing lab silver or red in color, or a German Wire haired pointer i hunt upland a little but waterfowl a good deal.

Whats your favorite dog ?

ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a German Shorthair Pointer and an English Setter, 2 completely different personalities but love both. I think the German Wirehair is classied as a versitale dog , good for upland or water.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    ANY lab will hunt both situations. Don't try to get a pointing lab if you only rarely hunt upland. The labs I have hunted over have had no formal training and once they get the scent of what you are hunting they will find anything! Chocolate lab is what i currently have. Not a pointer, not a field trial dog, just a FIELD DOG!

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    ANY lab will hunt both situations. Don't try to get a pointing lab if you only rarely hunt upland. The labs I have hunted over have had no formal training and once they get the scent of what you are hunting they will find anything! Chocolate lab is what i currently have. Not a pointer, not a field trial dog, just a FIELD DOG!

This ^^^

My chocolate lab had formal waterfowl training but did an awesome job the first time I took her to SD pheasant hunting. Like Bill said, once she smelled a pheasant she knew what was going on. She isn't a "pointer" but more of a "flusher"

I am certainly biased, since I've only owned Labs, but a Lab is about the best all around hunting/family dog there is.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Over the years I have(owned) hunted English Pointers---English Setters---Brittany---German Shorthair -----loved them all------I currently have 3(spoiled) German Shorthairs-----------love to watch them work--------all are steady to wing and shot----all will retrieve to hand------
    Shotgun Farms(dog trainer) at Shelbyville some time have trained dogs for sale--or will train your dog

Hard to say what breed is best---go to a Put-n-Take hunt and watch the different breeds work---or a field trial-----

Good luck in your search

In about 15 years,when it is time to say goodbye to Mac,or Duke,or Missy

you will cry,just like you are loosing part of your family.

tallend

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    For what you want get a labrador retriever. I like yellows but it's just a Color. Silver labs are a genetic mutation not in the standards. I question the sense of anyone who breeds for silver...

Ray Weaver of Bittersweet kennels is a great trainer near you and can help you locate a great pup.

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    Wouldn't trade my Weimaraners for anything. Amazing companions and super smart. But with the short fine hair I would not recommend them for waterfowl when the temps drop. Whatever you go with treat them like your best friend and there will never be a day of hunting that isn't enjoyable

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have two britts. 8 and 10yrs old. Been two years since we been hunting due to health reasons. Maybe next year. They been to Iowa,North Dakota,Kansas many times.Lots of great times.

Top Bottom