• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    I have a handed down Browning Citori that I'd like to understand better. I ask her questions, but she is very stoic. Her serial number ends in RN153, which tells me it was from 1979, Field Grade 1 (born in Japan). I'm confused that it doesn't look like a field grade. It has silver nitride receiver with relatively fancy engraving and high polish wood. I probably have a misconception that field grade models are less embellished. Was there the ability to option up these models or what am I missing? I not concerned with value, just interested in the history.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    All Citori are Japanese.
    Back in the old days I didn't think Grade 1 was silver nitrided.
    But I have slept some, and drank a few beers since then.

Have seen field models with upgraded wood, and some supposed higher grade guns with less than advertized "special wood".
    My old Magnum was pretty nice, my buds 26" rabbit gun is boringly light and plain.

The older guns in field grade, had a little more engraving, to screws /area around them etc.
    Doesn't seem to affect the pricing now, they all are up there and keep going.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    Thank you Hookeye. I had a PM that I could not respond to due to my status (not complaining). I'll try to post a picture or two if I can figure out how.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I think you have a true field grand but cannot explain the receiver. Does a magnet stick to it? Cannot remember if they made lightweights back then or not as I never took any interest in the aluminum receivers. While I do think the field grade, I do not know if that could be grade I, II or III. ???? There used to be a phone number on Browning's website to obtain history....if not that might contact the Browning service center in Arnold, MO or I thinks Art's gun smith shop in Missouri was former Browning employees.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    Thank you Clay. It was magnetic. I had looked around on Brownings website some previously, which helped me get the year and grade. I'll look into Art's GS. Ultimately it isn't a big deal other than it puzzles me.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I believe that gun has been customized at some point or some special order? Art is the man to ask, I have spoke with him in person and over the phone and he is always helpful, but the Japan guns are not his specialty. He cut his teeth during Brownings "salt crisis" years and is the King of Browning restorations.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    Just a quick update to provide closure to the thread. I contacted Art (Art's GS) and he referred me back to Browning to have their historian research. Browning has a service to research and provide a historical letter with their findings. Now I need to decide if I'm $39.95 curious or not (and still may just come back with 1979 12 gauge 3" Gr 1 Hunting model). I think I'll let it fester a while and see if I still care.

Top Bottom