• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    10mm, it gave us .40S&W
    Despite everyone always saying "I wish it came in 10mm" , they do not in fact sell. Most guys who have one never shoot them due to cost of the ammo, and properly loaded 10mm is relatively hard to find at not obsene prices.

It's an interesting cartridge absolutely, but it just annoys the hell out of me.
    Its another one of those "you gotta reload" cartridges"

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My focus is on defensive/practical use for most of my guns, so no real need for anything other than:

.22LR
    .38 Special/.357 Magnum
    9mm
    5.56 NATO
    12 gauge

The only guns I have other than those calibers are:

A couple of 40 S&W pistols that easily convert to 9mm
    A couple of 300 Blackout uppers
    A Ruger 1911 Commander in 45 ACP, just because
    A Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible that has yet to see a round of 45 Colt
    Dad's old Marlin 336 30-30
    An old Mosin carbine 7.62x54

No real hate for any particular caliber, though some of their fanbois are fairly annoying.

(Looking at you, 10mm) :):

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    All cartridges other the 7.62x54r are not needed comrades, if you need something less powerful use the 2 ft bayonet.

But seriously I don't have any cartridge I hate. I do seem to own a lot of them that people hate lol.
    I love my .40S&W Springfield XDm.
    My next handgun will be a 10mm 1911 simply because I can
    My Heratige revolver is more accurate with the .22 mag cylinder than .22lr.
    I love my 6.5 Grendel for deer hunting, and my 6.5 Creedmore will go out west one day for some mulies and maybe an elk or 2, or maybe I'll take my 7mm-08.
    Stamp collecting has driven me to add a .300 Blackout to my collection.
    Variety is the spice of life.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Don’t hate all the newer yuppie stuff, just disappointed the industry wastes time, money and resources on all these koolaid cartridges when they could make us more of the sensible stuff.

Not only is this fickle cartridge caper designed to sell more guns and magazine ads, but to screw with changing packaging and introducing toy calibers in the middle of the largest ammo and component draught in decades hurts the real sportsman.

If the cartridge isn’t over 50 years old, it does nothing for me. I wish back in the day we infused resources into the .38 Super since it is a real American cartridge unlike the 9mm. The .38 Super is also ballistically better and more accurate in my experience as well.

.357 Magnums in small handguns has a law of diminished returns. For me, it belongs in guns weighing more than 4 lbs. at the least. It is a sweet rifle round.

.38 special is perfect.

Seems to me the best and most practical .243 round is still a .243 Winchester. It also takes a real rifleman with field skills (part of the fun) to hit your target at vast ranges and conditions with the .30-30 or .45/70. It’s the challenge not the convenience.

.45 Colt is history speaking with every trigger pull and one has no problem seeing the holes.

.44 Special is fun and efficient.

.41 Magnum is better suited to guns, and a tiny bit flatter shooting with a more complete use of energy than the .44 Magnum. It is also the newest cartridge I enjoy.

.44 Magnum is as much power with the least abuse you could ever need.

.270 Winchester and .22-250 Remington have earned every bit of praise in my 50 years of shooting them.

.22 S,L, and LR and WMR are good enough for me.

Now, somebody ask about shotgun shells.
    As strictly a groundhog cartridge the .22-250 might be ideal.
    But past 300 yards, the .243 proly wins. Not a .22-250 fan, had one.......sold it.
    Inherited one, trying to decide if keep or rebarrel (new .22-250 bbl or go .243?)

Never been a .270 fan. .30-06 is boring but works. Oddly I just don't like the looks of most long action cartridges.
    Rather than get one in the middle, I'd get one on either side.............
    .25-06 and 7mm Rem mag :)
    But for a .25 cal I'm looking moreso at .257 Weatherby mag.
    A Browning B78 or 1885 in .25-06 could change my plans.
    Or maybe a Ruger #1 LOL

Yes, platform influences cartridge choice.

.44 magnum is fine, but arthritis might cause a drop to lesser.
    Could go w .44 spcl I guess. Hard cast wide nose supposedly works well on critters.

.41 magnum is a tweener, and I never liked it.

Liked .45 acp loaded hot, loved em in my Colt 1911.
    Times change.
    By my thinking now, I wanted higher capacity for defensive reasons.
    so went to 9mm high cap rigs.

But a 10mm 1911 would be a fun range toy/deer gun.

Many people dislike the .22 magnum, I love it in a rifle for close varminting.
    Good set up. You got it covered. However my Hornady VMax 40 grainers at 4000MV has kilt coyotes and groundhogs easily. My personal best is with my REM 700 .22-250 V with a 435 yard groundhog. Perfect neck shot with no exit wound.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not really any caliber I dislike just ones I see as pointless 357sig, 327 federal, 5.7x28, 30 carry, 50 Beowulf, 300blk,224 Valkyrie. I don't dislike these just don't see any point in them.

But small primer 45 acp is the worst thing ever fired from a gun My perspective as a reloader.
    I want to find the person responsible for small primer 45 ACP brass and cut their balls off.
    I agree with this! I it such a pain to sort through thousands of cases and separate the large and small primer cases.
    I don't have an opinion one way or another, I'm curious for the reasons against SPP .45acp though. My TRP shoots them all the same, never had a failure in it yet with any ammo (except for 3 squibs I reloaded in the beginning stages of my reloading learning ramp).

I would like standardize on one size or the other, what is most common these days - SPP or LPP in .45? My range pickups from friends/family seem to bee about 60/40 LPP/SPP.

I hate any caliber whose components are expensive or hard to find. I realize various international standards are different (i.e. US electrical socket standard vs the myriad of european standards) but it'd be nice if ammo were a bit more uniform.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I don’t Hate any caliber but I’ve really tried to consolidate as much as possible over the last few years. I don’t care for the calibers that seem to pop up so ammunition and gun manufacturers can sell more product and that are really not much better, if at all, than calibers that are 75-100 years old.
    I try to stick to
    38/357,
    9mm,
    45ACP,
    5.56/223,
    308/7.62,
    7.62x39,
    30-06.
    I’m a big fan of 38 Super, 10mm and 300 Winchester Magnum and have guns in those calibers as well.
    If I were to add another caliber it would be the 338 Winchester Magnum. I had a beautiful Ruger 77 years ago that was Magnaported and had a beautiful wood stock but I had to sell it and have always wanted another one.
    I’ve sold/traded everything in
    7.65/32,
    40 S&W,
    357 Sig (which I thick is a great caliber)
    22 Hornet
    7.62x54.
    With the cost of ammunition these days I can’t afford to shoot all that I have. There are a couple I forgot, like 17HMR and 45 Colt, but I’m too lazy to add them to the list.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I too can't seem to get on the 6.5CM bandwagon. Unless your a target shooter, there seems to be plenty of other cartridges that out perform it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm curious for the reasons against SPP .45acp though.
    You'll understand when one (or 20) of them sneaks into a batch that you're running through a progressive press and jams the priming system up. There's nothing wrong with the ammo itself...it shoots just fine. But it's a pain the in the butt for reloaders when a single cartridge has two standards.

I just ran into a berdan 9mm case today and had to spend 5 minutes resetting my decapping die...thankfully it didn't break the pin this time.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    You'll understand when one (or 20) of them sneaks into a batch that you're running through a progressive press and jams the priming system up. There's nothing wrong with the ammo itself...it shoots just fine. But it's a pain the in the butt for reloaders when a single cartridge has two standards.

I just ran into a berdan 9mm case today and had to spend 5 minutes resetting my decapping die...thankfully it didn't break the pin this time.
    I only have a single stage RCBS press atm, so not a big deal breaker for me.

When I thought I broke my decapping pin I called RCBS and they sent me 5 new ones just for asking (no charge).
    Then I found it stuck through a .22 case stuck inside a 9mm case right trough to the primer - it even deprimed the 9mm ok. It speared right through them all! I just had to use pliers to extract it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I only have a single stage RCBS press atm, so not a big deal breaker for me.

When I thought I broke my decapping pin I called RCBS and they sent me 5 new ones just for asking (no charge).
    Then I found it stuck through a .22 case stuck inside a 9mm case right trough to the primer - it even deprimed the 9mm ok. It speared right through them all! I just had to use pliers to extract it.
    I've done similar with my Dillon 550.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know, unless you have an M1 carbine, why worry about 30 Carbine?
    Marlin 62
    Olympic Arms PCR-30
    Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine
    and I believe Thompson made/makes a Contender in 30 carbine

so it isn't just M1 carbines although the market isn't awash in 30 carbine chamberings (but there are probably more I just don't know about) - but I was asked about calibers I just don't like and that is one. If it wasn't for the historical WWII interest we wouldn't even be talking about it, certainly few Korean War veterans have any love for it

'I'd prefer that over 30-06 (or 30-30)' said no one, ever. It's just a waste of good powder and components

30 super carry pushes lower sectional density 380 class projectiles to 9mm speeds in order to carry one or two more rounds in existing pistol designs. Don't see the benefits as out weighing the sacrifice, especially if you compare it to 124s

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I load and shoot a lot of cartridges, but as was mentioned upthread the .357 Sig has always looked like it was more trouble than it was worth to me. 40 S&W can go in that column as well. I think down the road they will end up in the LE history category for this time period.

AMT made an interesting SA pistol that shot 30 carbine, it's was loud, but reliable.
    If you wanted 357 sig-like performance, which itself was targeted at delivering 357 magnum-like performance in a semi-automatic, loading 38 super to its original design specs of 130 gr at 1300fps will do the trick, and 38SA is not bottle-necked so much easier to reload

There is a distinct shortage of non-1911 style DA/SA firearms that chamber it and are worthy of carry, pretty much only rare P220s. That's why I still like 357 sig in certain applications. I have an FNX 40 with an EFK conversion barrel that is a joy to shoot and no harder to carry than my FNPs and I also have a P239 with both barrels (357/40) from the factory but it weighs more than my full size FNPs

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    45 GAP. Can you make a more pointless cartridge?
    No you can’t.

i Have been collecting TC Contenders for years. So my love of some very odd fellows of the ammo world does live on. The old reloading for the Thompson contender manual still gets a ton of use. Also in my defense I am a fan of heavy for caliber bullets. Call me old fashioned but in 9mm you will find my stash containing 147 grain bullets. see my likes of what you hate and you will see the heavy for caliber rounds listed.

A few I like very well on the listing above are 22 mag 50 grain federal (in a rifle) the 357 sig 150 grain (if You want distance from a handgun) 40 short and weak 180 grain (which I think is near prefect compromise in an auto loading pistol).
    222 rem 50 grain which remember was the benchrest cartridge of your fathers and grandfather’s and to this day bring your best shooting .223 the the range and we can have a nice comparison either shorter or target.

Number one: I few I think are near pointless 22 hornet the round is great the brass is very prone to splitting on the 3 rd reload. So I don’t like the brass. Throw in 17 hornet for same reason plus the 17 cal cleaning brush see below. if the brass was not brittle then it could replace the 22 lr and 22 mag easy. Four shots on the brass is not good and now the brass is very hard to find and expensive.

17 rem was the toast of the fur hunters for years.the round goes in the animal and expends all it energy into the cavity and does not come out the other side so only one little hole in the fur.
    I had two both by Remington and I had major copper fouling issues. Fired like .5 moa for the first three shots. By shot 7 you were 2 moa and by round 10 you were baseball to softball size. Get out the 17 cal cleaning rod and clean that barrel till the blue stopped coming out (major time amount before the blue was gone) and you were back to the best shooting Fire lapped barrels I used different bullets I even used moly coated bullets (turned into a moly foul instead of a copper fouling) Both the rem 700 classics in the little 17 caliber barrel had chatter marks in the rifling of the barrel. So was it the cartridge or the rifle. I traded the second rem 700 classic for a rem 700 triple deuce and I can shoot it all day with near zero copper fouling. maybe that round is good and the rifle was made with very old 17 caliber reamer. That is why I bought the second one only to have the same thing happen.

anything WSSM if you need all that powder just go long action as it is not as big an issue over short action

weird ones I have not seen listed but I figured would be one the list would be 454 460 and 500 handgun rounds let’s include 50 AE. The first three I think would make prefect bear guns in a lever action rifle but nobody seems to make them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The thing I truly do hate about .40 is when the brass gets mixed in with my 9mm in the tumbler. When 9mm brass nests inside of a .40 and jams in there with the walnut media, it's a huge pain in the butt to get out!
    Then you don't want to tumble 22LR with 270 Winchester, either - ask me how I know
    : )

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If I were to add another caliber it would be the 338 Winchester Magnum. I had a beautiful Ruger 77 years ago that was Magnaported and had a beautiful wood stock but I had to sell it and have always wanted another one.

Mark II, wood and metal (as it should be), 24 inch barrel, comes with a Nikon 3 - 9 x 50 :evilangel:

Top Bottom