• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I'm just starting to look around to see what kind of canoe I should be looking at for my summer trips. I'm going to try out different waterways in the area, and basically look to stay out for 3-4 days at a time. I'd like a two man canoe, but I see some of these canoes are pretty pricey.

Basically, how do you break down your criteria when looking for something like this, and what are the brands to stay away from?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    By no means an expert but I've been told the 17' was ideal. The canoe rental at Turkey Run sold there used canoes at the end of every season and sold them reasonable. Seems expensive to me and I do not know if this is still the case

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    17' is ideal but I've have an old 15' Smoker Craft for 38 years and it has serves me well. I guess it depends on your trips - ie how much cargo, type of water you'll be navigating, experience level, number and length of portages etc. My Smoker craft would be terrible for portages as it weighs 90 lbs but it is a great all around canoe. I've taken many 2-3 day float trips and it served me well. Good canoeing!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Lots to consider. You have already started though by saying that you want to be able to pack some gear. Are you looking at primarily lake/open water typ paddling or large river, smaller streams/rivers, some class I,II whitewater or even rougher? This would be a good starting point.

Boat material is another.
    Consider weight especially if you will be portaging at all.
    Overall length is important but not everything. A boat that is short but wide will be stable and support as much weight as a longer narrower boat. Shorter boats with more"rocker" ( rise of bow and stern) are easier to manuver in tight areas but don't track in a straight line well and will be slower.

Here is my suggestion. If you can attend the Boat, Sport, and Travel show at the Fairgrounds look for Fluid Fun Canoes booth. Here is their website. Kayak and Canoe sales in Bristol Indiana at Fluid Fun I have known these fine folks all my life and learned to paddle and to race canoes with them. The combined experience they posses is hard to top.

The Streib family is considered very highly in the canoe world possesing several national championships and Olympic team memberships.

If you go to their website they have an area there called choosing your canoe that breaks down some of the basic terms and different catagories of boats available. Should be helpful to get yo started.

Just for fun this is not a picture of me racing as those pictures are lost somewhere but this the the type boat that I spent countless hours paddling.

index.2.jpg

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have the original version of this one. Dammit, now you've made me check out the new ones:

f_1437M_1.jpg

Adventure 16 - Mad River Canoe

The back rests and ergonomic seating sold me. I had trouble sitting up without back support for hours, this solved that. At 84#'s, its all I want to move around by myself.

They are sold at Dicks, McSports, etc. They go on sale at times, its good to know that for price matching. McSports had a sale, but not the color I wanted. Dick's matched the price for the sand colored one they had.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I guess my question is it just you and how much gear are you taking?
    If you keep your eyes open starting this time of year, you will find a great deal on canoes that are used. We picked up one 5 years ago for $325 (all aluminum) that you couldnt touch new for less than $600

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    You really do not want a heavy beast of a canoe. Something 60# or less. Make sure it has a yoke, which you will not find at Dicks or most Gander Mountain stores. Also you don't need to spend more than $400-500. Your aluminum canoes are affordable. Kevlar canoes are pricey but extremely light weight. 17' is pretty big for the day trips you mention. You could get away with something much smaller. 14.5 to 16 would suffice easy enough. Try becoming a member of BWCA, Boundary Waters, Canoe, Quetico The people and forums are very helpful. Personally I have sold some very nice canoes for $400 and under. You can find them on Craigs List, be patient.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    For weeklong trips i use a 17' aluminum Gruman canoe. On shorter trips i use a 15' aluminum Gruman canoe. Also when paddling alone i turn canoe backwards and sit in the bow to help balance out load. Not sure what class of water you will be on but on swifter water shorter canoes are easier to control in the current. Buy plenty of dry bags and always secure your load incase you tip over. If you get into canoeing take a trip to the Ozarks they have some great rivers. I like the old Gruman aluminum canoes and if weight is a big issue they made some lightwieght models. Kevlar is much lighter but you pay for it.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Generally the outfitters in Ely will retire there aluminum ultra lights at the end of a few seasons. They get rid of them for $300-400. Try a BWCA trip and arrange to buy the canoe from the outfitter when you get there. They will work things out with you to were if you want to buy it after the trip the rental would just come off the price of the canoe. 54# w/padded yoke.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Been canoeing for 30+ years... I have a 40+ year old Sea Nymph aluminum 15' that I'd be hard pressed to sell. Yes it gets heavier every year but I could still pack it if I had to and I'm 57. Your big decision is river or lake, river you need a v bottom canoe, lake flat bottom. If I were to by new I'd go with the expense and go Kevlar, used one once in the boundary waters and loved it, aluminum would be my second choice, never liked the fiberglass ones..

IMO like so many things now a days everything has gotten so specialized that you have to figure 10 ways to Sunday what you need......... The canoe is hundreds of years old, what worked then pretty much will work now, no matter what the advertising says...

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have a 13' Michicraft ultralight aluminium that I have had for 27 years. I bought it new from Michicraft in 1985 and had a 3rd thwart installed. It is very light and I can carry it easily by balancing one thwart on my shoulders and holding the extra one I had installed in front of me. It has been on virtually every "canoeable" stream and river in Indiana and all the way down the Big South Fork of the Cumberland from Tennessee back into Kentucky. It is perfect for a solo trip and does equally well with two people if you don't try to take everything including the kitchen sink.

A lot of good info has been posted. The best advise I can give you is try some out before you get your mind set on a certain one. You'll see a difference in brands, lengths, etc.. when you try it. Make sure you carry it as well. It doesn't have to be summer time, we canoe year round if the water is not frozen. Now is a good time to find a used canoe.

I was hooked on canoes after I read "Canoeing with the Cree" when I was 14. Buy one and you'll keep it forever once your hooked. (Good read by the way if you can find it.)

Dirty Steve

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have a red Coleman 15 footer that has about 1000 miles on it. It's 80 pounds, it sucks if you have to portage, but the thing is virtually indestructible. It even flew off my car once while we were heading to the river. I've camped in it, under it, used it for fishing, floating, and general drifting. I think I bought it for about $150 used almost 10 years ago.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Growing up Dad always had a 17' Grumman canoe. After some of the trips we went on together there is no other in my book. Heck of a good canoe and very much worth teh money ;)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Home | Bell Canoe Works

I wanted solo and extreme shallow water travel with our small lakes and stream as the target. I basically wanted the ride of a yak with the open concept of the canoe.

I got a now discontinued model designed after the canoes of upstate new york. 10 FOOT long single person you row with a kay paddle. I can cruse with 3 inches of water. It is basically a 10 foot version of this one.
    The Dragonfly (solo) | Bell Canoe Works

I also like the alaskan version for 2 people. Well built and handles like a champ. More stuff you can take with you.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Like what has been said above. There is a lot to consider. If you are going to have a lot of portages weight is def an issue. I have done a lot of the Indiana rivers and the worst i have come to is easily manageable with anything you get. The canoe material is what I would consider most. I have a fiberglass 17 footer and I love it, only thing I dislike is in the shallows it gets scratched an tore up on the rocks. Luckily fiberglass isn't to bad to fix. If I were to get another boat it would be royalex or some other poly material. Aluminum is great but pretty heavy.

Look on craigslist or for used. People buy boats all the time thinking they will use them and then don't and sell them cheap. I got mine for $250 and it was basically brand new. had only been in the water twice.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom