• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Kayaks are great. Easy to portage, need less water to float, and great for faster waters in the spring. I can get enough gear packed in and on mine for a 5 day trip. Maybe more if I would eat less.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Canoes

Well, where do I start? Ok, first you need to know what types of water you'll be in. Deep, shallow, sandy, rocky? Aluminum canoes are nice if you have to portage (carry) much. But if it's really shallow and rocky the seams will eventually start to leak. Plastic is usually cheaper but it's heavy to carry much. Just some things to think about. I would avoid fiberglass unless you're sticking to the lakes. Too fragile. My recommendation is to buy (2) cheap plastic kayaks. Way more fun, easier to transport, affordable, maneuverable, just better in every way. And no arguing about who's sitting in front or who's fault it is that the canoe tipped. Lower center of gravity also makes it a lot more comfortable and easier to balance, easier to get under low branches, better for fishing because you won't ever have 2-people lean over the same side of the craft at once. I could go on but I'd take 2 kayaks over a canoe any day. Good luck, BA

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    MAN! Nobody! The Sportspal is 2nd to none! Ive owned several different ones, but the sportspal was the most stabil. You can get Flat back option, for trolling motor. I used to catfish out of mine. i think the Michicraft the fella up above mentioned is a copy. Check out the Sportspal before you buy. You can lean on the side and catch catfish. Of course you may tip if you were ignorant about it. but check it out.
    Smokercraft would be my 2nd choice. I've owned probably 6 diff canoes, and the 14-15footers always seemed more stable. My 2 cents

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I just posted two kayaks in the Non firearm related forum. I am looking to sell them or trade them for a canoe. take a look if your interested.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have the original version of this one. Dammit, now you've made me check out the new ones:

Adventure 16 - Mad River Canoe
    Yeah, a lot has chnaged since 1977. I have looked hard at the 14' version for fishing the bay here by me. I just keep thinking I want a 10' to 12' in general so it wil be easier to haul. But the 14' is a good compromise if I can't decide.

I am leaning towards kevlar this time around. Buddy up here has a 17' canoe that is lighter than anyhting I have ever owned!

6guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Hobart
    Good info here. I had a 16' Old Town Penobscot that I lost in a divorce...dammit. But that was great as it had the ability to transition from lake to light white water since it was made of kevlar material.

Top Bottom