Any clever designs for a fairly solid ground blind out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Regarding what stakes I use, yes I certainly recognize a vast difference in quality between a quality stake and the cheapo belt pieces of steel they include just so they can say they supplied a stake. I have a pile of usgi shelter half big fat wide tent stakes that I've used to stabilize saplings when planted. Those are what I've been using as my stakes for the ground blind. These are the kind of stakes that I wouldn't even consider taking backpacking, but for utility use around the house I can't think of anything stronger for the money.

As far as a better quality ground blind, I 100% agree. I have used the "dog house" blinds for years and have found them blown over enough times that I figured I was due buy a good one that was tougher. I forget how much I spent, but it was close to $300 and it didn't take long before after a bad storm I went out back to find that my new blind was turned into a convertible and the top was ripped off. I didn't even get a year out of that particular blind and that sucked. After that I just figured I'd go back to the cheapo's and replace as needed.

Maybe I'm just out of luck on ground blinds.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I buy 6' steel rod and cut it into 18" lengths not sure on the diameter I get it at menards. Then I put the rod about 4" down into my harbor freight vice and hammer it over the edge and down until I have a candy cane. I haven't lost a ground blind since I started making them.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I buy 6' steel rod and cut it into 18" lengths not sure on the diameter I get it at menards. Then I put the rod about 4" down into my harbor freight vice and hammer it over the edge and down until I have a candy cane. I haven't lost a ground blind since I started making them.

This sounds like a good idea. I’m thinking to make a grass and stick blind woven with bailing twine and staking it down somehow. Since I’m hunting public I won’t be out much if it gets taken. I don’t think it will with where I’m at though. I want to leave it up for the deer in a bean field I see them feeding on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I proved this concept opening day turkey season this year. Pop up blind on top of hill, in the middle of corn field cut the day before. Two deer walked up close enough for me to touch.

Just looks like another hay bale in the field to them. In the woods it takes a while to get used to the new furniture. At least that's been my experience.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Another vote for buying a GOOD pop up blind or bale blind. I have owned Double Bull blinds since 2000 or so. I've owned or do own now so many that I cannot begin to list them all. Some I've sold because of model improvements. Some I've hung onto for unique situations. But the DB blinds (even the current Primos versions of them) are worth the money and they just last. Xenek is another one that makes a great blind. Recently, I picked up one by Barronett ... their OX 4 model and I cannot say enough good things about it. It has the old DB construction feel to it ... meaning durability. And the price is very very reasonable ... you can find them on Amazon for $220-$230. I like it so much that I am going to buy one of their OX 5 models next.

I have probably at place right now, no less than 15 QUALITY blinds from DB, Xenek, and Barronett and I can tell you that they are an investment that is worth every dime. You can brush them in with local vegetation and match your setting. You can move them as the wind changes. You can run and gun with them or camp out in one spot all season.

Here are some examples of brushed in (some without orange during bow only seasons and I add orange for gun seasons these days as needed).

Barronett OX 4 set up for bow hunting over a small food plot.
    Geur3VP.jpg

Primos Double Bull Dark Horse set up during gun season.
    dVNQQHi.jpg

Original Double Bull Dark Horse set up for bow on the edge of corn. I found a thin spot in the corn and set up and used the tops (above the ear) of stalks to brush it in.
    nsXQ6jK.jpg

Xenek set up for tukeys ... never a need to brush in for turkeys.
    T3nTRW4.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Doesn't sound like it would apply here, but I've been using a "ground blind" for 4 or 5 years that is nothing more than a hole in the ground.
    The property I have permission to hunt is on a steep hillside.
    I came down the hillside about 20 yards and dug a hole into the side of the hill.

My prey has to be more or less right in front of me for them to get a good sight of me.
    At an angle, I can see and shoot above the edge of the cut-out, but the deer can only see from my shoulders up, if they bother to look.
    I've taken numerous deer from this location.

Last year I took a coyote from this blind.
    It was during the muzzle loader season and I had a .50cal CVA in my lap.
    I heard rustling to my left. When I turned to look, I watched a female coyote run right in front of me, not 10 feet away, just down the hill.
    She went by too fast, but her mate was hot on her tail.
    The female never saw me, and I'm not sure the male did either, but I raised the CVA and fired when the male was directly in front of me, only 10 feet down the hill.
    That Power Belt bullet rolled him down the hill.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    DEC - thanks for the info on the Barronett Blinds. I have been looking at the Barronett Beast and was wondering if that brand was a good one. I've been using Ameristep for years and like them but the Barronett Beast would give me and my sons more room to hunt together.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    DEC - thanks for the info on the Barronett Blinds. I have been looking at the Barronett Beast and was wondering if that brand was a good one. I've been using Ameristep for years and like them but the Barronett Beast would give me and my sons more room to hunt together.

I would really encourage you to look at their OX blinds. The fabrics and window systems on those blinds are huge improvements over their other stuff. For the price they cannot be beat. That OX 5 blind is huge too. Their other lines of blinds use thinner materials and zipper windows. But I am sure they work fine also. I have looked over all of their blinds in person at ATA for the past couple of years. They seem to be a good company.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013

One of my ground blinds is the Barronett Big Mike XT. I believe it’s out of production, but it’s a beast. It’s the one I use if hunting with a kid or company. It’s very well made and huge.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I’m looking for something like this too. I have 4 kids, probably won’t find anything that big. I’ve been looking at the double bull deluxe but was hoping to not spend that much money. How does the quality compare to the double bull?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I’m looking for something like this too. I have 4 kids, probably won’t find anything that big. I’ve been looking at the double bull deluxe but was hoping to not spend that much money. How does the quality compare to the double bull?

The two OX models by Barronett are every bit of the quality of the DB's, and I would argue better than the current Primos DB offerings. Primos has really dropped the quality of the DB line over recent years. I've hunted out of many of the newer ones including the Deluxe and the quality is NOT anything near what it was back in the original DB days and even that for the first couple years that Primos owned them. The fabric on those Barronett OX 4 & OX 5 blinds is outstanding. The hub and rod quality is solid. The front window design is excellent. They have stubble straps built into the blind so that you can brush it in. If I would make one improvement it would be to add one oval shooting port in the rear, but that is really no big deal for me. The blind is overall excellent. All I can say about the other Barronett models is that they use lighter duty fabrics, zipper windows, and velcro ... all things that I don't like in a ground blind.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    Sounds good, how many people would you say can comfortably fit in the OX5?
    I’m also wondering if I brushed it in on the edge of a bean field for deer how long do I need to wait before hunting out of it?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I do not own the OX 5 but from sitting in one at the ATA show, three adults could sit in it pretty comfortably.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010

I've been using the Barronett Grounder 350 for a year now. Very strong, easy to setup and roomy enough for 3 but really 2 comfortably. The large windows and netting are great but everyone else is right...get some good tent stakes. The cheap metal bent ones suck.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    My Barronett Big Mike XT zipper slider for the door is no longer attached to the blind. I’m not expecting much, but I contacted the company and asked if they have any ideas to make a simple repair. Otherwise, this blind is going on it’s 4th season and otherwise looks and works great. I’ll report back.

Top Bottom