• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Have been doing winter camping for years. Take my backpack and a cot for sleeping. Make fire cook me some food and relax.
    Got an old army tent to take kids hunting in and they love it for youth hunting weekend and opening weekend if firearm season
    d5991c7c8d78dbc555e1053db0ab84be.jpg

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I mostly camp out of a vehicle. With my injuries, I'm not gonna be doing any more backpacking unless I have to. Been a minute since I've done any camping in the cold, but a good Army sleeping bag, and something between you and the ground helps. I really miss my old truck. Sleeping under a camper shell was real nice. I'll be using an Oztent once I get my Jeep build finished.

Not a cold weather pic, but this was camping like a king...
    11120582_1596095437305610_8793162915292321329_n.jpg

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    We made it out this weekend and I did a hammock only setup. I fashioned an underquilt out of an old eddie bauer down blanket i found at a garage sale for $5 and couple with a sleeping bag, it was suprisingly warm down in the mid 20's

I havent done any real car camping - even if i dont pack it in, i usually pop a tent or cot right next to the truck. Something about sleeping in a tow behind of truckbed that doesnt quite scratch the itch for me! I am a little jealous of Savage308's big canvas tent though!

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I was out camping last weekend! I took a family friend out for his first cold-weather outing.

We drove in, rather than hiking in, so we were able to take a bunch of extra “comfort” stuff with us like our big hot tent and stove, and cots to sleep on.

He was super excited to make an outdoor campfire, and he even pretended to listen while I showed him how to make an emergency lean-to with branches and boughs.

I always have fun winter camping, but it was a joy to see someone else open up to the experience.

I did lose my hand axe, though. Bummer, too…I had it since college!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Try to get back to the 3 sided trappers cabin every week. Has the fireplace in front now and little wood burner inside. Make chili, cook a steak, fried potatoes chili dogs…. Want to make bread and some desserts this winter yet. Sometimes spend the night with lots of snow with the wife but still waiting for big snow. View attachment 247457
    I love this. It's like an adult version of a kid's "fort". :thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My cold weather camping days are behind me (DoggyMama wouldn't go for it anyway), but I used to love it when I was younger. Nothing like waking up to a fresh layer of snow out in the woods.

My first winter camping experience was in Boy Scouts and it was -15 with a -60 wind chill. Nearly froze. Buddy had ice crystals in the bottom of his sleeping bag (we had cheap K-mart sleeping bags, probably rated down to 30* at best) and wound up with a mild case of frostbite.

Second night, we buddied up with 2 other scouts, put all our gear in one tent, and set up the other tent for sleeping. 2 sleeping bags unzipped and opened up on the bottom and 2 more unzipped and opened up on top. We all slept between them and stayed warm.

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    My cold weather camping days are behind me (DoggyMama wouldn't go for it anyway), but I used to love it when I was younger. Nothing like waking up to a fresh layer of snow out in the woods.

My first winter camping experience was in Boy Scouts and it was -15 with a -60 wind chill. Nearly froze. Buddy had ice crystals in the bottom of his sleeping bag (we had cheap K-mart sleeping bags, probably rated down to 30* at best) and wound up with a mild case of frostbite.

Second night, we buddied up with 2 other scouts, put all our gear in one tent, and set up the other tent for sleeping. 2 sleeping bags unzipped and opened up on the bottom and 2 more unzipped and opened up on top. We all slept between them and stayed warm.
    That reminds me of more than a couple incredibly cold nights I had in scouts growing up. Thank goodness they taught me a thing or two and I learned how to better prepare for the cold!

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have a couple Korean War Era casualty bags. These things are designed for wounded soldiers on their stretchers.
    Weigh about 15 lbs, down filled with coyote fur at the opening.
    They are so big you can get dressed inside them, which is a good thing because they are so warm you just about have to sleep in the buff.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    When I was a boy scout we used cheaper Walmart type tents, foam pads and sleeping bags. Now I have a few different canvas tents with wood burning stoves.

Top Bottom