Any competitions in southwestern Indiana (Evansville area)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beau.brandt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Does anyone know of any competitions in southwestern Indiana, around the Evansville area. I am looking for something to compete in and woudl like to go watch and learn first.

colt22man

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Owensboro hosts a USPSA match the 3rd. saturday of the month. You just missed the match, it was last saturday. Easy drive from evansville. Very fun match, great stages, always a good turn out.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Redbrush has a slew of monthly and some weekly matches for all levels of competition. The Thursday night .22lr bowling pin matches are great fun and are a relaxing casual way of getting into competition shooting. Of course right now there is an 11yo girl who is kicking everyone's tail in class A

Red Brush Rifle Range » Matches

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Do any INGO members attend these matches, and more importantly are they willing to take someone new and show them the ropes? You have to admit its a little disconcerting to walk up to a bunch of strangers, especially at a gun range, and try to get started.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My hand is raised. And I'll bet several hundred hands are raised on this forum alone.

I know it is scary but just show up and tell the person that you are new and need a mentor. A dozen guys will jump up and offer to show you the ropes.

EVERYBODY is new at some time at some shooting sport. I might be a High Master in one sport, but a complete newbie at a different sport.

Take the leap, you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

beau.brandt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks, I knew Red Brush always has matches but didn't know about the one in Owensboro, where is that match / range located? Thanks!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Does anyone know of any competitions in southwestern Indiana, around the Evansville area. I am looking for something to compete in and woudl like to go watch and learn first.

Come on up to WVPPS at Terre Haute. Our next match is the third match in July.

I have a USPSA training league at the same range on June 11th. Come on up and shoot with us. Send me an email if interested.

Last edited:

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    My hand is raised. And I'll bet several hundred hands are raised on this forum alone.

I know it is scary but just show up and tell the person that you are new and need a mentor. A dozen guys will jump up and offer to show you the ropes.

EVERYBODY is new at some time at some shooting sport. I might be a High Master in one sport, but a complete newbie at a different sport.

Take the leap, you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

I didn't mean to sound so much like a scaredy-cat but thats good to hear anyways. I've had a few friends go up to Redbrush and they said their welcome was a little less than warm. Admittedly that was when we were still young and dumb so it could have been a factor. I joined another small range a while back but it really didn't have much the way of sanctioned events. I guess I'll just quit making excuses and just make it happen.:)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I didn't mean to sound so much like a scaredy-cat but thats good to hear anyways. I've had a few friends go up to Redbrush and they said their welcome was a little less than warm. Admittedly that was when we were still young and dumb so it could have been a factor. I joined another small range a while back but it really didn't have much the way of sanctioned events. I guess I'll just quit making excuses and just make it happen.:)

Don't judge a whole range or sport by a couple of unfriendly folks. Some people just rub people wrong. It would be nice if people were nice to the new people but some just are not. Overall my experience is that most people are helpful and welcoming in the shooting sports.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Do any INGO members attend these matches, and more importantly are they willing to take someone new and show them the ropes? You have to admit its a little disconcerting to walk up to a bunch of strangers, especially at a gun range, and try to get started.

I didn't mean to sound so much like a scaredy-cat but thats good to hear anyways. I've had a few friends go up to Redbrush and they said their welcome was a little less than warm. Admittedly that was when we were still young and dumb so it could have been a factor.

This is one reason I would recommend the .22LR bowling pin matches at Redbrush. They are very relaxed and friendly. It has been a while since I shot in a steel or idpa style match there but those folks do tend to be a little more intense. For Thursday night BP, all you need is...

Match name: Thursday Night Bowling Pin Match
    Schedule: Every Thursday evening April – October, except the first Thursday of the month (Red Brush meeting night). Match begins at 6:00pm.
    Cost: $1.00
    Firearms used: .22 rimfire pistol.
    Usual number of rounds needed: 50-100 rounds.
    Other equipment needed (in addition to eye and ear protection): None
    Targets: 6 bowling pins, sitting on 2×4″ sawhorse.
    Format: Man-on-man double elimination. First person to knock down all 6 pins in 15 seconds or less wins the round. Shooters are divided into A-class, B-class, and Women & Seniors class, and shoots only against other shooters in that class. Each session runs two months. Most wins accumulated in that session wins the title for that class.
    Prizes: 1st and 2nd place in each class wins choice of trophy or 550 rounds of Federal .22LR ammo.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I have recieved alot of info, advice, and motivation from the posts on this thread and will definetly take advantage of it. The bowling pin match sounds like a lot of fun and a opportunity to get familar with some of the other events they have there. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Firearms used: .22 rimfire pistol.
    Usual number of rounds needed: 50-100 rounds.
    Other equipment needed (in addition to eye and ear protection): None
    Targets: 6 bowling pins, sitting on 2×4″ sawhorse.
    [/QUOTE]

I've shot "pin heads", the top part of the pin, with a 22. How many hits does it take to down off a full size pin with a 22lr?

Top Bottom