• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop computer. Not sure of exact model, I could find out if it matters obviously. Anyway, for the past few week or two it started acting up. Whenever I was away from it for a while and it went into sleep mode it wouldn't start up again when I hit the keyboard or mouse. It was still on with the usual flashing blue light, but just wouldn't "kick in" again. I'd have to turn it off and restart it. I never had a problem with it turning off during use or not restarting. No other problems with it at all. Due to this I have been in the habit of shutting it all the way down when I don't use it.

Well today, it wouldn't turn back on at all. There's a small green light in back near where the power cord connects. that comes on. But hitting the power button does nothing. No "good" blue light, no "bad" amber light. Just nothing, no fans no whirring. I took the case off to see if it was as simple as a wire not quite connecting in the button region. Was dusty, gave a quick vacuum. fiddled with the connections...still nothing. While the case was off I noticed that in addition to the green power indicator on the back of the unit, there is a light on the main large circuit board that comes on. Yellow/amber in color.

That's all the info I have. Any ideas?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    possible bad power supply. most other problems it would give you a little more like a red light up front blinking so many times or beeping in a series or something to that nature...

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    possible bad power supply. most other problems it would give you a little more like a red light up front blinking so many times or beeping in a series or something to that nature...

Agreed. I had a Dell Insiron that did the same thing. I made the mistake of buying an off brand power supply. It would power the computer, but the system did not recognize the power supply, so it wouldn't charge the battery. My laptop became a desktop.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity

Agree. Although for kicks n giggles, and even though it would be a long shot, try a different power cable from the back of the power supply to the outlet

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Agree. Although for kicks n giggles, and even though it would be a long shot, try a different power cable from the back of the power supply to the outlet

Even thpugh the green light on the power supply lights up when plugged in? I was thinking that meant the power was getting TO the power supply, but not to the rest of the computer.:dunno:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Watch out. Dell desktops use a nonstandard pinout on the connectors for the power supply. If you try to swap either the power supply or the motherboard for a non-Dell one, you will damage something.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    It was indeed the Power supply. I ordered a replacement on Amazon for $45, $50 shipped. It came today and I installed it without too much problem. I did have to remove the cooling fan that's connected to the main board, and my hard drive. There was no other way to get it out. New one went in, reconnected everything and it powered up like a champion. Thanks to everyone that took the time to help me out. Money is tight and doing it myself I'm sure saved me a bundle.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom