• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I check out garage sales for older craftsman tools. I will not buy new craftsman tools. the quality has gone down seriously.

I do this too. I dont care if they are a dirty or have a little rust, I know they will stand up to a lot more than the new ones. I have worked in aviation since the early 90's and on my Triumph since 1985 and you get what you pay for in most cases. Buy once, cry once.

My tool box is a mix of Craftsman (older stuff from my dad and garage sales), Proto, SK, Mac and Snap On. Plus some neat german metric wrenches I found at a garage sale. The "ratcheting" open end style with a short leg that Craftsman started selling years ago. Some sort of crossed swords type mark, no other identifier but they are made out of some nice steel.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I've run through 4-5 newer Craftsman ratchets; they're complete trash. The Kobalt tools sold at Lowe's appear to be of much much higher quality, and the ratchet quality is no competition at all. The only nice thing about the Craftsman tools is that they can be replaced quite easily locally.

As far as power tools go, I wouldn't touch Craftsman with a 6' long stick.

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    As far as hand tools, I wait for a sale at Harbor Freight (Pittsburg Pro line), or get some used ones at yard sales. My favorite vise is a Chas. Parker that I picked up for $60, a No 3. Next to it is a Harbor Freight "industrial" 8" vise that's been repaired 5 times (broken screw nut). The Sears vise was given to my son, it was just too small. Finding a vise that opens 12" isn't cheap.
    Every year when the James Dean festival comes around, I hit a few farm rummages, and scour the tool selection. Lots of crap, but always a few gems. Can't beat the old tools for toughness.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    18 years ago I went out and bought a huge Craftsman tool set, within 1 week I broke 2 ratchets and a wrench. After I had that ratchet replaced for about the 7th time in a year, I stated replacing every ratchet, socket and wrench in the set. I'll never buy another Craftsman tool from Sears.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Does anybody remember Penncraft tools? I'm pretty sure they were sold by JCPenny. I have several ratchets and adjustable wrenches that I remember my dad using in the late 60's, and those things are rock solid!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Craftsman can now be found at K-mart too. They are gradually phasing craftsman out of sears and returning to their china line. There is a craftsman website where you can order actual craftsman tools. Craftsman isn't owned by sears, they are an independent Co. that contracts to sears. I agree, they certainly aren't what they once were. The Kobalt aren't bad, and the Husky line from the Depot aren't too bad. Stanley recently acquired I believe either MATCO or MAC and have actually introduce a decent line of well made stanley hand tools. Strap-on is for rich guys that were surgical gloves to add a quart of oil and wouldn't know what to do with a tool. Although Strap-on DOES make some specialty stuff that is amazing and can't be found anywhere else.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I love Snap On ratchets, there really isn't much that compares to them but I don't feel the need to have a box full of Snap On like I used to.

If you can get over brand loyalty and just buy good tools I think you will find out one name brand doesn't cover everything .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a lot of 20 plus years old Craftsman tools and for the most part they work well, hold up and do the job. For the more intricate work I use Mac, Snap on and other mid range such as Kobalt and the Home depot brand. I have experienced no failures from either the Kobalt or Home depot offerings. A proper tool used in the correct way usually does the job.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I used to be 100% Craftsman but hace recently noticed their tools going more toward Taiwan and China. I WILL NOT buy one more tool from Craftsman that is made out of the U.S. and will go to a different brand all together if it gets any worse on their hand tools. I like the warranty but it is pathetic to see them going off shore for the regular hand tools and still charge prices as if they were U.S. made.

twisyblackmetal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    I love the old standards, I am partial to Craftsman but I have noticed a decrease in quality since they started busking all of the "wonder tools"

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I have noticed a LOT of broken Craftsman tools in this thread. I have been a mechanic for over 25 years and the only time I have broken a Craftsman tool was when using the wrong tool for the job. That includes my 20+ year old stuff as well as the newer stuff. For example: trying to bust loose brake caliper bolts with a 3/8 drive ratchet and sockets. I have worn out more than I have broken. There is a reason 1/4 and 3/8 drive torque wrenches only go so high.

Now I'm not saying anyone on here would do anything like this! :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm not so much opposed to Craftsman having their tools made overseas as I am the fact that a lot of their new stuff is junk. When I'm using a ratchet, I get extremely irritated when it switches directions on it's own or switches to "neutral". I need more specialty type tools now and it seems that they'd rather make Ron Popiel gadgets than real tools now.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    ive been getting Kobalt tools more and more here in the past couple years.
    Not so much a fan of the new craftsman tools at all :(

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I work at a Sears Auto Center with most of my tools being Husky Tools, some Matco,Harbor Freight, and a few Craftsman, as when they break I can walk over to the tool section to get a new replacement instead of waiting for the truck to show up. My brother-in-law told me how Sears doesn't replace tools anymore but gives you a rebuilt one. Craftsman Tools seem to be getting pushed out of the tool section with other brand names taking the space over at a rapid pace.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I rounded a driveshaft bolt with a crastman wrench when I first started in the auto buisness 25+yr ago and my boss came over and removed it with a snapon wrench.I will stick with snap on for my paycheck and crafstman for my weekend fun.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Sear's credit rating was just lowered to a triple c (total junk bond status) and that's how I feel about their tools. I tried so hard to carry on the family tradition that my grandfather and father started by equipping my tool chest with Craftsman tools, but I finally caved when they released the forged wrenches that are black oxide finished except the bare metal areas which is unfinished and will start to rust in a month. I guess chroming is to cost prohibitive in the states. A Pittsburg hand tool is made of quality steel and a high chrome finish.

By the way.... Allen tools at Menards is mostly made in the U.S. and seems to be quality stuff.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I worked at a Sears store (The old Sears Essentials in Noblesville) in hardware for about a year. When customers brought in a ratchet I would offer to rebuild it instead of replacing it. Why? Because the rebuild kit is all metal. Some ratchets came to me with plastic internal pieces. Once they were rebuilt I'd never see them again.

I have an anniversary set that I love. I'm not a brand snob by any means but I haven't had an issue with mine yet (after I rebuilt them with the all metal kits) and like that I can drive into town and replace whatever is broken.

Top Bottom