• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my girlfriend and i are dieing for her to get into bow hunting. a crossbow is in our near future. she has sholder issues that hinder her pulling a 35 pound bow so we are thinking a crossbow might be the answer.

ive been charged with finding a good bow. the problem with this is i dont know anything about crossbows. ive never even shot one. i keep running into the price range question, i understand that is important and thats always the first question i ask a customer when walking them into the perfect optic, the problem is i dont know enough to know what my pricerange should be. i dont want to buy junk above all else.

any ingo members who wouldn't mind a phonecall pm me your nunmber and a good time to call, id defintally appriciate it. or if you have recomendations post up

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Very interested in this too. I've been toying with the idea of getting a crossbow(or two) but really haven't found a good source of information on them.

Any links, discussions, reviews, would be great!

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I use a crossbox now, I have a medical card from the DNR that says I can. I heard in the 2012 season, crossbows will be legal for anyone to use. Right now though, you must have that little yellow card.
    I found mine on Craigslist. It was a Horton. New in the store it runs about $600, but you can find a used one a little cheaper.
    I had mine tunes and restrung when I got it and it shoots great to about 40 yards. It has a scope and it right on the money. You will want to get a few prectice "bolts" (arrows) and get the feel of it before buying some good carbon fiber arrows and nice heads.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i am shopping also, a few things i have learned; crossbows make a lot of noise.. better made ones already come with some form on dampening system..
    some cranks are not as easy to use as you would think.
    The string life is pretty short, so consider the costs of replacement ones..
    check where & how safety works..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The late season, starting Dec 3. already allows crossbows.

Yes, it does. It is either sex too- provided you had not killed a buck in any previous season this year.

Take a look at the Wicked Ridge crossbows by TenPoint. TenPoint quality at a lower price.

Go with the 3X scope..

Click on these.....

Invader™

Warrior™

You can buy online direct from TenPoint...same price as a dealer..

Last edited:

ALB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Personally I hope they make cross bows legal in the early archery season as well. I know that some diehard bow hunters hate the idea.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm not really an expert, but my dad has one and because of shoulder surgery this summer, I was able to get a temp permit and hunt with one. Since he wasn't too interested in hunting, I used his.

It's a Barnett Quad AVI. Heavier than heck and awkward to carry. And noisy when you shoot. Not really the most pleasant experience.

I tend to hunt with my 12 year old, so have been hunting a buddy stand. But last Wednesday I went out alone and got my climber out. When I climb with my compound, I just lay it across in front of me on the seat portion of the stand, and climb. Tried that with the crossbow and it was a chore.

Guess what I'm saying is, they are neat and all. And in some ways easier to shoot. Lot less movement since they're already drawn. But heavy and hard to tote around. I was able to use the rope to draw it even with my shoulder.

I looked for my own, and may still get one at some point. Still want to hunt with my compound. I've looked at the Horton Bone Collector, found here Bone Collector Crossbow Package 4x 32 Mult-A-Range Scope Realtree APG Camo with a dealer price of $440. Reviews I read seemed good.

I really really like the Darton Serpent, but it's a little more money. This is the best I found on that. ForSale Darton SERPENT Crossbow w/ Package 330 FPS Scope Quiver

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm not really an expert, but my dad has one and because of shoulder surgery this summer, I was able to get a temp permit and hunt with one. Since he wasn't too interested in hunting, I used his.

It's a Barnett Quad AVI. Heavier than heck and awkward to carry. And noisy when you shoot. Not really the most pleasant experience.

I tend to hunt with my 12 year old, so have been hunting a buddy stand. But last Wednesday I went out alone and got my climber out. When I climb with my compound, I just lay it across in front of me on the seat portion of the stand, and climb. Tried that with the crossbow and it was a chore.

Guess what I'm saying is, they are neat and all. And in some ways easier to shoot. Lot less movement since they're already drawn. But heavy and hard to tote around. I was able to use the rope to draw it even with my shoulder.

I looked for my own, and may still get one at some point. Still want to hunt with my compound. I've looked at the Horton Bone Collector, found here Bone Collector Crossbow Package 4x 32 Mult-A-Range Scope Realtree APG Camo with a dealer price of $440. Reviews I read seemed good.

I really really like the Darton Serpent, but it's a little more money. This is the best I found on that. ForSale Darton SERPENT Crossbow w/ Package 330 FPS Scope Quiver

thanks i defintally am not switching over from my compount, but it may make more scence for my gf. we went and looked at a few barnets they were all entirly to heavey. i will need to mount one of those crank pullers on it as i dont think she can pull it even with a assistance rope

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Due to shoulder injueries I had to switch two years ago. I searched for nearly a year to decide which one to use. Read everything available that I could. I decided to go with the Excalibur line of bows do to lifetime warranty, ease of use, and the ability to repair a broken string in the field if need be with no tuning or accuracy problems. I highly recommend them. They are laser accurate!!! I shopped for a while then waited till summer to by mine in the off season. I got an exocet in the right stuff package for $500 shipped. It was brand new and it came from Sportsman guide off of Ebay. It still had the retail sticker on it for $729. It came with absolutely everything needed to drive nails including the varizone scope which I would highly recommend for any crossbow. I actually call Excalibur to find out more on thier bows before buying and after the chat and online research I think they may have the best warranty of any company in business today. Did I mention the bow carries this warranty for life....LOL. I can tell you one more thing, I do not aim at the same target out to 50 yards with this thing as it WILL robinhood arrows all day long if you have a steady rest. If you are ever up my way you are more than welcome to shoot mine to check it out. Best of luck in your search.

Top Bottom