• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Saturday (Oct 31st) count was 7. Passed on a button buck. 2 large bucks 4 does all out of reach.

Tomorrow is another day!

Been out atleast 1 day every weekend (sometimes all weekend) since opening day and there's been 2 days i haven't seen anything. All the corn up surely doesn't help things.

Oh and missed a buck at 15 ft 2 weeks ago. :dunno: Don't ask me. (my first yr with a bow, probably better since i've since a few much bigger)

Nathan

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I got more deer then I can deal with at times. Just shoot one out of the yard if I need meat. They are getting to many at times. We are losing hunters not losing deer.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm looking forward to hunting off my porch in another year.:)

It'll be there, I guarantee it. Just be careful what you wish for... it can have a detrimentle unexpected affect on the rest of your hunting. It's made me lazy and choosy. It really feels embarrassing to see deer and turkey all day every day, women and kids playing with them, the dog watching them like it's dog TV, pictures of them every where, and then find your self at the end of the season with nothing in your hand and they are all still out in the bush.:dunno:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am hoping things pick up a little for me. The first two times out I saw some. The last three I haven't seen a thing. I hunt woods with no true fields around the area so I don't think I have a huge amount in the area to begin with. I dream of the day I get to set up along a harvested corn field.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I hope they harvest the corn where I will be hunting. 40 acres, 35 corn and 5 woods along the eastern edge. I am so Pumped for it!!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I haven't been out during bow this year, haven't had time to practice with my bow. But my cousin has been out and he tagged a very nice buck this morning. Sent me a pic to my phone. Its a decent sized trophy for him, biggest he's had. From what I can tell in the pic its a 6 pt with a wide rack and long tines. I'll try to post it later when I get a chance.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    How did you get hooked up with the land? Family, Friend, or ask a Farmer?

It is my Grandparents farm. Mu uncle farms it, with help from my Dad.

I didn't get my first pick of areas, there are actually three farms they own, and one has much more acerage, with smaller fields broken up by creeks and woods. The first pick went to a neighbor that has been hunting the land since before I was old enough to hunt, and he has been very helpful since my grandfather passed. I don't know where you live, but I would suggest finding a way to make a relationship with a landowner, and keeping up that relationship year-round. That has been a great help to my family, as my uncle lives 10 miles away from the farm, and having a close friend that helps to check in, and run off tresspassers is a blessing. That man has been rewarded lifetime hunting priviledge, until he decides he no longer wishes to have it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    It is my Grandparents farm. Mu uncle farms it, with help from my Dad.

I didn't get my first pick of areas, there are actually three farms they own, and one has much more acerage, with smaller fields broken up by creeks and woods. The first pick went to a neighbor that has been hunting the land since before I was old enough to hunt, and he has been very helpful since my grandfather passed. I don't know where you live, but I would suggest finding a way to make a relationship with a landowner, and keeping up that relationship year-round. That has been a great help to my family, as my uncle lives 10 miles away from the farm, and having a close friend that helps to check in, and run off tresspassers is a blessing. That man has been rewarded lifetime hunting priviledge, until he decides he no longer wishes to have it.

I actually live in Marion County in Franklin Township. As I venture south in the township out toward the Whiteland area, I see many fields with the thing borders of woods and always break my neck to see if there are any deer hanging out on the edges. I haven't seen any and often wonder how plentiful they might be in this more urban area.

I might scope out a few properties and offer my services for an exchange for hunting privledges.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I had to pause my shooting the other morning to let a herd of deer go past... was shooting at 100 yards and next thing I knew, something brown blotted out the entire 'scope!

They're plentiful, and I almost hit one or two on the way home from work every morning.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    so busy this year I had no plans on deer hunting so I havent done any scouting. I did help my grandpa place some stands a few weeks ago for him and his buddy...looks like he has an excellent place to hunt this year.
    anywho..my dad called me yesterday and asked if I was gonna hunt this year..said "nope..no time to get out and scout" he said "well Ive done the scouting for ya..all ya have to do is bring your gun, a slug and a tag":):
    apparently his neighbors have been doing some major clearing and they have created a funnel in my dads back lot,so he went out yesterday and placed 3 stands and all of them can be seen from his back porch,he said every morning he has seen atleast a dozen deer and quit a few in the evening as well..said hes seen a few nice bucks...or course this could all change once the rut kicks in but itll still be good Im sure as that area always holds alot of does so I think itll only get better once the rut kicks in. didnt think I was going to deer hunt at all this year but reckon I will now. thought about bow hunting it next weekend but I think Ill just hold out and take a deer or 2 with the slug gun.
    hopefully next year Ill have more time to hunt like I use too:dunno:

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Can you guys chase some of the deer north? I've talked to several people up here, together we hunt about 2000 acres. I've seen 2 deer, another guy saw 3, and that's all.

I did see one dead on the road yesterday so there was at least one around here.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can you guys chase some of the deer north? I've talked to several people up here, together we hunt about 2000 acres. I've seen 2 deer, another guy saw 3, and that's all.

I did see one dead on the road yesterday so there was at least one around here.

If YOU were a deer, would YOU want to live in Michigan City? :n00b:

hehe...I kid, I kid.

-J-

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I hope they harvest the corn where I will be hunting. 40 acres, 35 corn and 5 woods along the eastern edge. I am so Pumped for it!!

No you don't. The reason is because once every farmer around the area picks the corn and gun season starts the deer are headed for heavy cover. If you have access to one of the last remaining cornfields you have a prime spot. You just walk row by row very slowly keep the wind in your face (or directly at your back) and walk through the corn. I guarantee you you will find one bedded down later in the season if the corn is still up.:yesway:

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm not in Michigan City, wouldn't want to be either. I'm about half way between there and South Bend. I didn't think anybody would know where Rolling Prairie was...

Top Bottom