• ...and so much more!
  • evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Hi guys:

My dog is a mixed Lab/German Shepard. She is about 5 years old, and I rescued her from a family that didn't want her and was going to put her down for no good reason. She's a great dog and I love her so much. She helped me through the tough times when I didn't have a job and was very down and depressed.

Now, I see that she's sad, and I want to do something about it. She will frequently sit in the main hallway and just chew on her toys, not wanting anything to do with anything else or anyone. Other times, she's got the energy of a 2 year old child! I'm gone all day at work, and she just sits here alone. I recently decided to stop caging her while I was gone (she loves eating the cheap walmart blinds in my bedroom, but left the $400 curtains in the living room alone). I close the bedroom doors before I leave the house and let her roam the house as she wants. Its so nice to come home to a loving pet to greet you at the door.

She's about 40 pounds full grown, and I'm thinking about getting her a playmate. She seldom comes to me when I call her, but when she does, I cherish the time I cuddle and play with her. She used to love playing fetch and retrieve in my yard. She still does sometimes, but is not really into it like she used to. I love it when I'm on the couch watching TV, and she hops up and snuggles with me, rests her head on my knee. I want to give her the best, loving home possible.

Ideally, I'd like to get a full grown dog, lab preferably (they are incredibly loyal), about 40 pounds, but how do I go about doing this? Money is incredibly tight right now, I could always adopt from a kennel or petfinder.com, but my utmost concern is that they get along and enjoy each other (and that the dog doesn't pee in my bed)!

My dog is a female spade (fixed) so she can't have puppies. Do I get a male or a female?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Erick

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I am no expert by far and I would like to know the same thing.
    I have a chow mixed and he is almost 7 yrs old. Sometimes he acts the same way and I got him a playmate. I dont recommend it. First off he is so much older so they are not on the same page. The puppy has so much more energy and wants to play with him and chew on him and he is not into that at all. He is not into the puppy stage thing at all. He gets jealous of the new puppy too. I can understand this since he has been the only dog for almost 7 yrs. and I think at times it makes him even more depressed. He has to share our attention and his water bowl and his pooping grounds and everything. He has really done this quite well but I do see a change in him and he seems more timid and shy. Not being his usual at all but some of this was before the new puppy came along. I wish I had the answer but I dont. If money is tight then I would not get another dog to feed and the vet bills also. Ask your vet what it could be? Maybe age might have something to do with it. Not all dogs are the same so your dog may enjoy company during the time you are away. I am home all day with our dogs unless we have a show. I wish you luck in whatever you decide and I hope if you do get another dog they will like each other.

Last edited:

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'm no expert, but my personal experience says you're headed in the right direction. My Shepherd/Lab mix had some serious behavioral issues, not the least of which was coming home one day to find my ENTIRE kitchen linoleum floor pulled up. A while later, we brought home a Basset/Shar Pei mix puppy. We worried about how the Shepherd/Lab would react to a new dog in the house. To be honest, things didn't go so great at first. Bailey, the Shepherd/Lab, didn't get along well with the puppy. We did some research, and learned that the first dog should always be considered the "alpha dog", and respected as such. We started paying attention to how we treated them, and started letting Bailey go outside first, she was given her treat first, allowed up on the couch first, and sso on. After that adjustment, her behavior improved immediately, and the two of them were best friends for over a decade until Bailey's death. Brusier, the other one, has never really been the same.

Last edited:

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    What breed should I get? Another Lab? I love Labs....There are times, however, that I feel I just can't give her the attention she deserves.

Also, I don't want one pet to over power the other. I want them to be equal with attention, to play well together.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Separation anxiety. It is a common problem with dogs.

My APBT is fine for about 9 hours never messes in the house or chews on anything when I am working 8 hour shifts. God forbid I do a 10 or 12. She like drywall and carpet.

Google it for more info.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Some of the rescue organizations will want you to bring your dog in for a meet and greet with the other dog and then a home visit with the dog to see how yours acts with a new dog in its place. If I were trying to place a 2nd dog, I'd want to see how they got along before taking on the responsibility.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    We had a dog like that and he was like that because he was abused before we got him. We found him a good home with a lady that had a dog just like him and she said the second they met they were playing and chasing each other...... a play mate might help...... just make sure the dog is big enough to play with the dog you have now.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    First thing that comes to mind for me is the dogs basic needs. Food, Water, Excercise. I didnt see you mention excercise. My lab that I love dearly is as good a dog as you could ask for so I highly reccomend labs. But, 3 weeks ago, i had foot surgery so I have not been able to take her on walks. I let her run in the backyard but its not the same. SHe has become a bit depressed and moaps around too. A dog needs a "JOB". Walking her around the neighborhood so she strut her obedient stuff with no leash is one of hers. She heals up the whole time and "guides" me around. She lives for that and going hunting. The mention of seperation anxiety may be spot on as well but tkae care of the critical three first and see what happens

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo (on the right) was my first dog after getting out of the Army. I found him on a pile of rock salt bags at a gas station. Abner (on the left) was found less than a day old in the overgrown front yard of a vacant house. Sydney (in the middle) was the runt of her litter and was being shunned and picked on by the rest of the pups.
    P1020512.jpg

Phylo was several years old before Abner came along and Sydney followed a year or so later. When they were pups Phylo would growl at them and didn't want anything to do with them. As soon as they were old enough to tug on the other end of a toy he warmed up to them very quickly and they are just about inseparable now.

Dogs are pack animals and enjoy companionship. While your dog likely views you as a member of his pack, he is all alone when you are at work. I think it's healthy for them to have another dog (or even a cat if they'll tolerate one) to socialize with when the owners are gone.

Adopt or rescue a pup. The pup will be more likely to submit to your dog than bringing in another adult. I'm betting your dog would appreciate the company.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    What breed should I get? Another Lab? I love Labs....There are times, however, that I feel I just can't give her the attention she deserves.

Also, I don't want one pet to over power the other. I want them to be equal with attention, to play well together.

A lab would be great for her...Hell, almost any friendly dog would be.

If you are wanting it in the ~40 lb range, you can go ahead and rule out a male though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Are you familiar with nothing in life is free? It is amazing how many problems with dogs I have seen turned around just by adopting those methods, if you are not already applying them.

If you do decide to get a second dog after weighing the pros/cons, just remember that it is alright to be very selective. It is fine to spend time selecting the right dog, and any reputable rescue organization will likely be more than happy to let you socialize your dog with possible candidates. They will know how important pairing them together is for their happiness, so do not view it as a hassle for them - in most cases they will feel much better about the placement if you care enough to spend that much time.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Have you tried taking your dog for long walks? Your dog just sounds bored and needs more activities to do. Try hiding some treats around the house and have your dog find them. Play reward based fetches. Sometimes it not the dog but what the owner has done to change the dog's routine.

My dog is now almost 6 yrs. old. She doesn't play like she used to as a puppy but still has the energy.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    All of my dogs are labs, all female and about 70-80 lbs. They are all female and are not fat. Full blooded labs are VERY energetic, oh and they are VERY energetic. You will need plenty of room to ATTEMPT to wear one out everyday or you won't get any sleep. If I haven't scared you away from labs then check craigslist, we got one for free from a family that didn't understand that labs are VERY energetic. Our chocolate was also a rescue but we paid something for her and our yellow was a pound puppy. They are all sweeties but they are VERY energetic.

I just wanted to tell you that they are VERY energetic.

Last edited:

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    If I do decide to get a dog, it will probably be a Lab. I have a friend who has a puppy (not a lab, but is just so cute). Too much energy for them they say...Anyway, to answer someone's question, no, I probably don't give her all the exercise she needs. Its freezing outside. I do play with her in the snow sometimes, and during the summer, we spend a lot more time together. During the spring/summer, I do take her on long walks on the bike paths/Dunes State Park, and when we get back home, she's done for the day! She'll hop on the couch and not move until the next day. When I get home from work, I'm spent! When I was unemployed, that's when I first started to notice her depression/sadness. Over a few weeks of being home, she started to change. Now she's reverted back to being sad. I see that look in her eyes when I leave in the morning, and sometimes, I stay home a few extra minutes to spend some time with her.

I don't crate her when I leave for work anymore. I think she enjoys the extra freedom.

When I get home, she's eager to meet me at the front door, and its nice to see her and play with her when I get home. She runs to the front door, licking me and wagging her tail. Its great! I just feel I owe her more.

Thanks for listening and for all your replies...

Erick

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had seperation anxiety problems with my American Pit the first couple years that I had him. We got a Stafford from a rescue. This cured the seperation anxiety, but now we are having dominance issues. Can't win...

Top Bottom