• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I need the help of the INGO experts on everything.
    I have an '02 GMC 2500 duramax diesel.
    I have only had it for 6 months, and it is my first diesel, so I have a very limited knowledge of the secrets of diesel workings.

I was backing out of a parking spot and it just stopped running.
    It... just... stopped.
    No clunk, no noise, no fanfare, it just quit.
    When I tried to start it, it just turned over with no sign of firing.
    I pushed it back into the parking space (luckily downhill slightly).
    I tried the fuel filter primer and it was soft.
    It pumped back up in 30 or 40 pumps, but still wouldn't start.

That's the limit of my diesel knowledge.
    Where should I look now?
    I had a heck of a time finding the distributor, so if anyone knows where that is...

Hornett, there could be several problems, fuel distribution, electrical, just like on a "regular" vehicle.

Troubleshooting, is ALMOST the same..... Start with A, and continue on.....

Distributor, may be an OLD term, but way back when, in the USMC, our Multi fuel engines, used a fuel distributor.....

Looked like a distributor, but with fuel lines, instead of wires.....

Check for electricity, at the batt., and go on from there.... if it turns over, you have elect.....

Same for fuel, start at the tank, and work your way to the front.....

Actually, there is a short cut, if you can find line, loosen the nut, where the line connects,

and turn on ign., and see if fuel comes out .....

Steve

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Thanks for all the helpful advice.
    The humor wasn't really all that troubling.
    After all, this IS INGO.
    I actually lol'd at uncoiled rice and the Trojan comments.

To answer some questions:

There are no lights.
    I find that particularly troubling.
    That little window lights up for EVERYTHING.
    Low coolant, low washer fluid, low fuel.

I know there is electricity because it turns over just fine.

I will look at the belts and check some wiring and see if I have fuel tonight and report back.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Do you hear the fuel pump kick on? I would think if it just stopped suddenly, it'd have to be fuel related. Either the pump or the injectors. :dunno:

All the posts about fuel are the ticket. I mean there could be something electrical that's causing the injectors to cease, but if a diesel was running and it just quit without ventilating the block...

It's either lack of air (really unlikely), or lack of fuel

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    if the primer bulb was soft the in tank lift pump (fuel pump) has probably failed, the cp3 is after the primer ball and will actually cause the primer to become stiff, not soft, because fuel is getting to it from the tank but the cp3 isn't sending it out. have someone turn the key to the run position while you listen near the fuel tank, you SHOULD hear a buzzing or hissing noise as the pump runs for a few seconds to prime the system, IF NOT, you can easily try banging the bottom of the tank with a sizeable hammer (30-40oz usually does the trick) then see if you hear the pump running, if so try restarting it, it will take a bit of cranking to get fuel back up to the cp3 and some pumping of the primer ball will help too.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    WAIT!!! I'M WRONG!!! on an 02 the lift pump/fuel pump is NOT in the tank, it's on the left side frame rail. different years are different. same prinicipal, however listen for the fuel pump running on the frame rail, not in the tank, if not try tapping lightly on the pump (hammer handle or large screwdriver handle should do it)and try again. not a full solution, but it will likely get you home or to a shop without towing.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Pretty sure the fuel pump is driven off of cam gear on all duramax's... Not 100% but pretty sure.. All the duramax trucks I have worked on other than vans have the injection pump also serve as the lift pump.. Could be fuel related could be a cam or cranks sensor or harness issue or?? Get a handheld scanner to check codes and go from there.. The fuel system prime pump being limp is puzzling though..

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Turbo failure
    Do you have a check engine light?
    More than a few clogged injectors
    I'd lean on sensors or electronics including the wiring
    Is it out of fuel

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Pretty sure the fuel pump is driven off of cam gear on all duramax's... Not 100% but pretty sure.. All the duramax trucks I have worked on other than vans have the injection pump also serve as the lift pump.. Could be fuel related could be a cam or cranks sensor or harness issue or?? Get a handheld scanner to check codes and go from there.. The fuel system prime pump being limp is puzzling though..

You are correct. I went and re-checked. The CP3 is gear driven and sits in the lifter valley. Sorry for the misinformation earlier.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    On top of the fuel primer housing, there is a small plug that you take out when trying to prime the pump. Remove it and pump the primmer bulb until fuel comes out of the open orifice, then reinstall the plug, and then try to start the engine. If you don't do this before trying to prime the engine, you'll get air in the line, and it won't run. I had this happen to mine, and finally had to replace the little plug, because the o-ring was pinched and was allowing air to enter the pump.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    WAIT!!! I'M WRONG!!! on an 02 the lift pump/fuel pump is NOT in the tank, it's on the left side frame rail. different years are different. same prinicipal, however listen for the fuel pump running on the frame rail, not in the tank, if not try tapping lightly on the pump (hammer handle or large screwdriver handle should do it)and try again. not a full solution, but it will likely get you home or to a shop without towing.

D-max from that year have no lift pump at all (unless you put a FASS on it like I did). CP3 is the one and only pump.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    It has 1/8 tank of fuel so I am pretty sure it is not out.

When I turn on the key there is no sound at all coming from the gas tank.
    No lift pump on my Duramax.

There are no check engine lights, which is puzzling to me.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    How would you know if the check engine lamp was illuminated if the truck doesn't run ??? Unless the cel doesn't work??? Normally the cel is on during koeo and on with koer if a problem exists.. Cel prove out is part of most manufacturers startup functions.. Have you retrieved codes????? I suspect a very short or fuel system delivery issue??? Have you tried to add fuel to make sure ther isn't an issue with air ingestion at low fuel levels via the fuel pickup in tank??

Top Bottom