Any experience with any of the Christian healthcare sharing ministries?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I was wondering if anybody has any first hand experience, either as a member of provider, of dealing with any of the Christian healthcare sharing ministries? The two that we are mainly looking into right now are Medi-share and Christian Healthcare Ministries.

My wife and I are both in our mid 30's and in very good health with no preexisting conditions, not overweight, and don't smoke. We have 2 kids under 10 also in great health. We are self employed and because of the mis-named "affordable" care act, our current HSA plan has been eliminated because it did not meet dear leaders guidelines. The insurance company has offered us an alternate plan that does meet the guidelines but at almost 3X our current premium but with the same high deductible. Most insurance brokers that we talk with push us to go to the exchange but I refuse to use and participate in Obamacare.

I am looking for some first hand experience with dealing with either one of these, what you like and what you don't like. CHM is very appealing to us right now because of the low premium cost and that we get to deal directly with ANY provider we chose as a cash customer and negotiate price. Of course, the trade of for the low premium is substantially higher limits you must pay before the sharing starts. Medi-share is also attractive since the "deductible" is lower for a compatible premium plan. What I don't like about Med-share is it seems to look like a typical PPO plan where you have to use in network providers or be penalized heavily.

So, lets hear your great experiences or horror stories if you have any and thanks for the assistance.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dave Ramsey had a caller last week who was interested in them. He said they are usually well run and don't get many complaints. This is what Amish communities do btw. It's essentially "self insurance", as long as everybody pays when it's their turn. In concept it's awesome.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the in network thing is not a big deal to me as I have been "in network" for insurance for my whole life. if I had to choose based on your parameters I would not let the "network" thing discourage me provided the network was large enough to be convenient based on your primary location.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Dave Ramsey had a caller last week who was interested in them. He said they are usually well run and don't get many complaints. This is what Amish communities do btw. It's essentially "self insurance", as long as everybody pays when it's their turn. In concept it's awesome.

Thanks for chiming in Doc, I was hoping you might. Have you had any experience from the billing or negotiating side of this? I have a friend locally with a decent sized practice that told me last year when we were looking into this that he welcomed cash customers and gave a healthy discount. The good thing about the CHM plan is that the discount that you negotiate are applied to the portion you are responsible for.

the in network thing is not a big deal to me as I have been "in network" for insurance for my whole life. if I had to choose based on your parameters I would not let the "network" thing discourage me provided the network was large enough to be convenient based on your primary location.

Thats part of the problem, my wife's doctor and a lot of our local doctors are not in network. My only experience with PPO was years ago and it seemed like a lot of the network doctors and facilities changed at the end of the year or even mid year.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I haven't known patients to be in this, but I don't usually discuss their insurance unless I'm referring or admitting them. I believe if they were on this plan they would be listed as "self-pay" which is a huge percentage of my patients anyway. From an ER standpoint we get next to nothing from self-pay patients. Though you'd be surprised how many people claim to be self-pay who have Medicaid or other insurance. It baffles the mind but they don't want you to know they have insurance and go out of their way to lie and hide that fact.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have 2 good friends who use them, and I seriously looked in to it about a year ago. One uses Samaritan Ministries, and the other friend uses Christian Medishare. They both basically operate the same way. It will cost around $300/month for a family of 4. With Samaritan Ministries, you do not send your payment to the actual organization. Rather, the organization gives you a different name/address to send your payment to every month. If you have a procedure that you make a claim on, your mailbox will be flooded for the next month with checks from around the country. I believe that Medishare payments are similar, but would have to talk to my friend about that.

Had a friend who uses Samaritan Ministries have a procedure that was over $10,000. When he made a claim, his mailbox would have several checks in it every day for the next month. In the end, the checks totaled the exact amount of his claim.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Are these plans acceptable to Obumacare guidelines?

Good question, I would assume so but I'm not sure. Still probably cheaper to pay the fine and use these systems.

http://mychristiancare.org/exemption.aspx

The Affordable Care Act contains a special provision for members of Healthcare Sharing Ministries, making Medi-Share members exempt from the mandate to purchase insurance in 2014 or face financial penalties.Law Language - (Sec 1501, page 148 addresses the exemption)

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    YOU NEED TO WAKE UP. My Anthem family policy went from $1100 month to $52 a month under Obamacare. both policies were with Anthem and the Obamacare policy had better benefits. Thats why its called affordable. But your old enough to make your own decisions.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    They are actually expect from obamacare due to religious exceptions. To join you have to profess your faith, agree to abstain from non biblical lifestyle practices (such as drug use, extramarital relations, etc...) and accept that certain items that obamacare covers will not be covered.

Thanks for the Samaritan Healthcare experience Hoosierdood, that's exactly what I was looking for. Samaritan sounds like a great group and I love how theirs is set up as a direct sharing. Unfortunately, their costs would be the highest for us right now as a family of 4 is currently $405. For reference, M-S would be about $190 and CHM about $135. Obviously your responsibility would be high the less you pay.

From talking with all of the reps lately, it actually looks like the three different groups all operate very differently. As Hoosierdood pointed out Samaritan uses a direct sharing program where they tell you who to send your "share" to each month. A friend of mine is on Medi-share and they operate a lot more like typical insurance and you present you card at the time of treatment and they bill Medi-share directly. CHM looks to be more of a mix where you present as a cash customer and try to negotiate the best deal you can. The providers will then bill you directly and you submit those bills to CHM for sharing and they cut you a check.

Would love to hear some more first hand experiences if anybody has any. For those also interested, 3 groups that are available are: Medi-share, Christian Healthcare Ministries, and Samaritan Ministries.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    YOU NEED TO WAKE UP. My Anthem family policy went from $1100 month to $52 a month under Obamacare. both policies were with Anthem and the Obamacare policy had better benefits. Thats why its called affordable. But your old enough to make your own decisions.

Yes, you are welcome. I am glad more people get to benefit from my hard work.

My HSA plan went from $350 to $850 plus, still trying to find the affordable part of that. If you are OK with the rest of us working to help pay for YOUR health insurance, more power to you. Unfortunately I do not believe anybody else should be responsible for my families healthcare, auto insurance, homeowners insurance or anything else so I will continue to take care of my family on my own.

Now excuse me while I get back to work, millions of people are depending on my tax money.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Yes, you are welcome. I am glad more people get to benefit from my hard work.

My HSA plan went from $350 to $850 plus, still trying to find the affordable part of that. If you are OK with the rest of us working to help pay for YOUR health insurance, more power to you. Unfortunately I do not believe anybody else should be responsible for my families healthcare, auto insurance, homeowners insurance or anything else so I will continue to take care of my family on my own.

Now excuse me while I get back to work, millions at people are depending on my tax money.

:+1: X 10. Lay that smack-down!

Top Bottom