Any experiences with the reliability of the Ruger SFAR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLynne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2022
    Orleans
    Has any one had any experiences with the Ruger SFAR? I am considering adding one to my collection but have been hearing of issues.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Biggest issues I've seen reported are struggles with getting it gassed right, and apparently a batch of bolt key fasteners that weren't to grade and would shear off. Single fastener on the key instead of two is a bit of a design weak point.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    1699755384041.png

Ripped from a dude on reddit yesterday showing the bolt carrier gas key bolt issue. Claims he had this happen in a couple rounds, sent it back, received it with a new bolt, and it happened again in eight rounds.

When people report it, it always seems to happen immediately within the first handful of rounds. Hence my theory that a batch of those bolts simply weren't treated properly. They're not breaking after 500 or 1,000 rounds, they're shearing in the first mag.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I only have about 20 rounds through mine so far but no issues. So far I've been very impressed with it. I have 5.56 ARs that are easily as heavy without accessories and the recoil is surprising mild. If it holds up, then its a steal for the price.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Another data point on the SFAR. Gotta say I'm not a fan of spending a grand on a gun just to spend $200 to replace the gas block to make it run.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Rule #47: never buy a new model the first year of its release.

There are always bugs to be worked out. I leave it up to the folks who just have to have the latest and greatest. I’m not paid to be a beta tester.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Rule #47: never buy a new model the first year of its release.

There are always bugs to be worked out. I leave it up to the folks who just have to have the latest and greatest. I’m not paid to be a beta tester.
    Honestly it seems like Ruger just can't build ARs. The MPR and AR556 were both plagued by gassing and cycling issues.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Honestly it seems like Ruger just can't build ARs. The MPR and AR556 were both plagued by gassing and cycling issues.
    I don't think they are testing their product before shipping it properly.
    The new business model is let the customers test it for you, and fix the problems as you go.
    Looks like Ruger has picked up on this, and it will hurt them sooner than later.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've had a few issues with the last few new Rugers that I've purchased, which makes me kind of sad as I'm a big Ruger fan and have owned a lot of great guns from them in the past. The idea of the SFAR (lightweight, short-barreled semi-auto .308) has me intrigued. I don't really NEED one, but I kind of want one. The reports of issues I'm seeing, combined with my personal experiences with my recent Ruger purchases has me kind of concerned, though. The video Ark posted is pretty informative...I like how the reviewer worked through the issue and actually discussed the fix.

It seems like it's probably going to take a lot of money and effort to get one of these to a workable place...and by the time you get it to that point you're into Sig 716i or M1A Scout Squad money. Not that either of those offers exactly what the SFAR does, but they each have their own unique appeal.

Top Bottom