• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    Hello to all my fellow INGO gardeners. Just thought I would seek out others experiences for this year's crop. So far our zucchini, acorn and butternut squash are doing great. Getting a lot of "fruit" from each plant. Heck we even successfully grew broccoli this year. A first for us. The only issues we seem to be having are with the tomatoes and peppers (bell, japalenos, etc). This time last year we had plenty of "fruit" from both, but so far this year just a couple of small tomatoes and only few buds on the peppers. Any one else seeing similar results? Or is it just me? Is the hot/humid weather making it a rough season for the plants?

I'm just a little perplexed as it seems I have spent a lot more time and effort recently than in year's past, and I'm not seeing the fruits of my labor.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I think the weather has a lot to do with it. dry and hot. I have been watering the last couple weeks and my tomatos are really starting to come on. Beans are drying up but we got to can around 140 quarts. Now on to tomato juice and salsa.

We need rain.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My tomatoes are doing better than they've ever done before. I made my first batch of salsa this past weekend. Large, 1/2 pound tomatoes on some. The plants have sprawled all over the place since I decided not to stake them up this year but they are still producing great.

Peppers are pretty bad though. The only peppers that are doing well are my jalapenos.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    All of our stuff is producing like gangbusters. The green beans have given up two FULL pickings so far, we've been eating the banana peppers for a couple of weeks. The bell peppers are huge, more brocolli than we know what to do with. The peas and beets are looking good too. Nothing like fresh zuchini bread, eggplant is making a good showing as well as the watermelon, onions and garlic.

Man she did a GREAT job this year. We bought several soaker hoses and one of those mechanical timers for the water faucet and move the soakers around every day to make sure nothing becomes a victim of this heat and so far it seems to be paying off. We've never had as many tomatos as we have this year and the cherry tomatos have gone wild! MMMM fresh veggies!!!

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    We have a small garden and we have just started to get tomatoes. We got a lot of sugar snap peas (a family favorite) towards the beginning of the summer and the peppers are coming in as well - especially those of the spicy variety. The broccoli was small, the cauliflower hasn't produced yet, and we are waiting to see what happens with the Brussels sprouts. We got a good amount of romaine lettuce and spinach during the beginning of the summer, but now the summer heat has made it too bitter. We planted everything around memorial day. For such a small plot (just a 2-3 plants per type), we are pretty happy with what we have produced!

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    Thanks for the responses. It appears it's hit or miss. We've tried staying on top of the weather, and water regularly. Done a pretty good job of keeping pests and weeds to a minimum. There's still time, so I am hoping to get some good results. Just wish we were making some nice fresh salsa or at least snacking on some cherry tomatoes.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    My peppers went crazy this year... but I start them indoors real early (Feb early this year).

I have had many friends that said their peppers struggled this year, and I think the only reason mine did good is how developed they were before I put them out.

As a side note, hot varieties of peppers generally produce more capsaicin when it is very humid. At least humidity brings some benefit....

My tomatoes were pretty lame this year though.... and they were prepared just as long as my peppers :X Tomatoes just hate me, I guess...

hoosierbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Hello to all my fellow INGO gardeners. Just thought I would seek out others experiences for this year's crop. So far our zucchini, acorn and butternut squash are doing great. Getting a lot of "fruit" from each plant. Heck we even successfully grew broccoli this year. A first for us. The only issues we seem to be having are with the tomatoes and peppers (bell, japalenos, etc). This time last year we had plenty of "fruit" from both, but so far this year just a couple of small tomatoes and only few buds on the peppers. Any one else seeing similar results? Or is it just me? Is the hot/humid weather making it a rough season for the plants?

I'm just a little perplexed as it seems I have spent a lot more time and effort recently than in year's past, and I'm not seeing the fruits of my labor.

I'm not sure why the plants aren't doing any better...the weeds in my garden are growing great! :):

Top Bottom