• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    1998 F150, rear gear nest is crap. Ordered a new one through Oreilly, and naturally, its wrong. They dont even think they can get a new one, and if they can, its over $250 (vs. the $90 this set cost me that is wrong). Anyone got any connections with Ford?

Thunder219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Call weller in south bend.. 800-968-8860 if they can't help let me know and I might be able to get some out of a company I deal with in Chicago

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Most any competent salvage yard should have many Ford, Chevy,Dodge and Toyota trucks in the lots. I would think you could get a rear diff from one.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Do you mean a ring and pinion? Ive never heard of it being called a nest. Randys has everything Home Page Your going to need an install kit also. If you haven't done this before it is best left to a pro.

I recommend looking for a complete rear axle asembly on craigslist or a boneyard.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Do you mean a ring and pinion? Ive never heard of it being called a nest. Randys has everything Home Page Your going to need an install kit also. If you haven't done this before it is best left to a pro.

I recommend looking for a complete rear axle Assembly on craigslist or a boneyard.
    Would agree. Ford 8" and 9" easy. Remove the whole pig, drop in a new one. 8.8 trac-lock and newer send to the local tranny shop unless you have the specialty tools for that job.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    It is the four gears inside. 2 vertical (larger that the axle slides into), 2 horizontal. There is an s-spring in between as well as a retaining bolt and bar. Its nothing complicated, I just cant track down the stinkin parts. Im going to call SATAN, err I mean Ford today and ask how bad they want to rape me for it. Then the boneyards.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    There are TONS of f series and expeditions, navigators int he bone yards up here...

I have NEVER EVER heard of this... 'nest' though... I have heard of a carrier though!!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    The old "hogs heads" were easier to work on.... undo the drive shaft, 5 bolts on each axle, and 9 bolts on the hog head.remove, reassemble in reverse order, spent many an hour under neath ford removing, reconditioning, and selling Ford 9 inch rear ends...I am a rear end guy......

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I may have to look in the bone yard, but for now I would prefer to put new parts inside it. The ring and pinion are in great shape, so I am not really wanting to replace them, and the disks are a few months old and still in great shape... Everything looks good, just the stinkin spider gears (gear nest) went to crap. I should have just replaced them when I did the disks, but I thought they were ok, just a little worn. Guess this is what I get for being cheap.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    You are describing an open rear end. A limited slip rear end (posi-trac) has clutches in there with the axel gears and should have an "S" shaped clip between the axel gears. And you have an 8.8 in that f150. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    i have never heard it called a nest. the price ford will charge you is gonna be ridiculous. ive seen full 8.8's go for 150.00 bucks at junk yards. i would pull the whole thing and swap it out if i were you.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    i have never heard it called a nest. the price ford will charge you is gonna be ridiculous. ive seen full 8.8's go for 150.00 bucks at junk yards. i would pull the whole thing and swap it out if i were you.

After a ton of searching today, I think thats going to be my route. Now to find a yard that has one.

Top Bottom