• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    I have an 02 Ford Taurus. I am having misfire issues on start-up and it seems to be in cylinder 3. I just had new plugs and wires put in it, but just to be safe I changed cylinder 3's plug and switched the wire out to make sure those two things were not it. They were not. My next step was the fuel injector in cylinder 3. To get to cylinder 3 I had to take off the intake and in doing so I broke two things, and EGR pipe and something called Exhaust Gas Recirculation Pressure Feedback Sensor. I replaced the injector and the two pieces I broke. My car still misfires. I'm just looking for the next direction here if anyone has any ideas. I am not taking it anywhere to get it checked because I do not want to spend the money as dumb as it might sound. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    How many miles on it? Can you do a leak down test? Check the intake manifold gasket and manifold. If the gasket is leakin or a manifold is cracked it could be causing issues. The leak down test should show if perhaps the valves are not closing completely. How about the coil?

bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    It has 106,000 miles on it. I'm not sure about the leak down test. I would think that if the coil was going bad that more of the cylinders would be tripping codes besides just number 3, but I am no mechanic. I did not see a gasket when I took the intake manifold off nor can I find one online, so I'm not sure about that either.

bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    It's a coil pack by the way. I would have to replace the whole thing. It's easy, but a bit expensive.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    It's a coil pack by the way. I would have to replace the whole thing. It's easy, but a bit expensive.

Look on ebay. You can usually buy all 8 COPs rather inexpensively.

Also, look into buying an OBDii reader. You can find some that will work with your smart phone for as little as $16 on up.

You will want one that has "live data", that way you can get real time data if you're experiencing trouble.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have an 02 Ford Taurus. I am having misfire issues on start-up and it seems to be in cylinder 3. I just had new plugs and wires put in it, but just to be safe I changed cylinder 3's plug and switched the wire out to make sure those two things were not it. They were not. My next step was the fuel injector in cylinder 3. To get to cylinder 3 I had to take off the intake and in doing so I broke two things, and EGR pipe and something called Exhaust Gas Recirculation Pressure Feedback Sensor. I replaced the injector and the two pieces I broke. My car still misfires. I'm just looking for the next direction here if anyone has any ideas. I am not taking it anywhere to get it checked because I do not want to spend the money as dumb as it might sound. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

But you'll spend it fixing the things you broke trying to diagnose the problem? ;)

You can try a code reader. Could probably get a quick scan from Auto Zone. Or just pay for it, but since you don't want to spend money......:D

How much does a diagnostic inspection run? So far you've replaced spark plugs, wires, an injector, an EGR tube and EGRPF sensor. How much has that cost?

Now that I'm done criticizing ;) : bad coil?

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Could be ignition coil or module try replacing coil that fires cylinder 3

I was a Ford tech for years and that would have been my first guess

Try spraying some water from a water mister bottle and see if its arcs at coil #3

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Auto Zone and other places usually offer diagnostic readings for free. But, they usually won't clear the CEL for you.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Auto Zone and other places usually offer diagnostic readings for free. But, they usually won't clear the CEL for you.

After you find the issue and everything is running fine, disconnect the neg. battery cable for about 1 minute, that will clear the code or at least turn the light off.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    You can read the resistance on each coil pack to determine if the coil pack is dead - us a simple ohm meter if you have one. Not sure what the resistance should be, but you should be able to google it.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013

Yep! I said before try spraying the coil pack (mist it) and see if you can see an arc and listen for it snapping.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    After you find the issue and everything is running fine, disconnect the neg. battery cable for about 1 minute, that will clear the code or at least turn the light off.

From what I understand, the CEL will clear itself after a few minutes of driving as the computer cycles thru its barrage of tests.

I ended up buying my own OBDII in the end.

I am having an issue where I am burning up the #7 & 8 COPs ( 4 or 5 times now) every few months. I just replaced the #5 COP last week. I have no idea what is causing this.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    You can read the resistance on each coil pack to determine if the coil pack is dead - us a simple ohm meter if you have one. Not sure what the resistance should be, but you should be able to google it.

Be careful you don't shock yourself, it will put your dick in the dirt!

bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    But you'll spend it fixing the things you broke trying to diagnose the problem? ;)

You can try a code reader. Could probably get a quick scan from Auto Zone. Or just pay for it, but since you don't want to spend money......:D

How much does a diagnostic inspection run? So far you've replaced spark plugs, wires, an injector, an EGR tube and EGRPF sensor. How much has that cost?

Now that I'm done criticizing ;) : bad coil?

I replaced the plugs and wires over the summer, so that was regular maintenance. I bought a new plug recently which was 4 dollars, and injector which was 30 dollars, egr pipe which was 50, and the sensor which was 40. So far it has been 124 dollars. Having said that I see your point and it is valid. It would be logical to take it into a shop and have someone look at it, but I have had bad experiences with shops. Just recently a shop wanted to charge me 600 dollars to replace my starter. I told them that was a bit ridiculous, and I would learn how to replace it myself. Youtube research, 100 dollars, and an hour replacing it and I had a new starter in it. Since then I have been weary of taking my car to anyone. I have trust issues...in this facet of my life anyway.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Do it yourself is cool. Even with some trial and error.

I think just more process of elimination will get you going.

How sure are you it's singled out to the 3rd cyl?

bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Look on ebay. You can usually buy all 8 COPs rather inexpensively.

Also, look into buying an OBDii reader. You can find some that will work with your smart phone for as little as $16 on up.

You will want one that has "live data", that way you can get real time data if you're experiencing trouble.

I will look into this reader thanks. I'm sure Advanced Auto is tired of seeing me in their store.

bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Do it yourself is cool. Even with some trial and error.

I think just more process of elimination will get you going.

How sure are you it's singled out to the 3rd cyl?

Had Advanced Auto do the reader thing and that's what was coming up. It was a start up misfire and a cylinder 3 misfire.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Hmm I'm at a loss..

Trying to search on how the spark is distributed

Last edited:
    Top Bottom