• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I'm brand new to this, thought it would be fun for my kids. I am on geochache.com but not a premium member. I cannot get the caches to download and show up on my etrex vista. The site tells me they downloaded but they do not show up on my unit......?

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I go with the wife and son, plus anyone else that wants to tag along. It is a fun time and chance to spend some time outside.

I just input the coordinates into a smart phone.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My brother geocaches and is very good at it. I have no patience for it. I did try it, but after searching for several targets for about an hour each, I gave up my geocaching career. My fear was the competance level of the person setting in the cache point.

You should consider orienteering to do with the kids. It's fun and good exercise. To find a club near you visit the US Orienteering Federation Home | Orienteering USA

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    It's been a while since I've tried, most of the ones I've attempted have been people just marking local historical society placards you'd see anyways, or caches that were all that was in the area so I put them in they weren't there and hadn't been seen in over a year.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    If anyone in Kokomo wants to go Geocaching, let me know I'll come. I've found a few around town and I'm fairly good at it

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    I'm brand new to this, thought it would be fun for my kids. I am on geochache.com but not a premium member. I cannot get the caches to download and show up on my etrex vista. The site tells me they downloaded but they do not show up on my unit......?

I have the same GPS...and am on the same site.... Just starting out too.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

When I download a cache, I get a marker that pops up on my screen.

Haven't figured out everything for it yet when it comes to geocaching.....but that's part of the fun.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I run an eTrex Legend here's the upload process that I go through, and I get a little icon that looks like a package that stores it as a waypoint

First I've got Garmin Communicator setup
    Garmin Communicator Plugin

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Of course when I started geocaching, there weren't maps it was write down the numbers, look up on a map to get close then turn on the GPS and walk it until the numbers matched. Jot down the coordinates, make sure your GPS is in the same format and have at it. Depending on the view of the sky you could have a 30-150ft radius to be searching for something that's hidden, and typically small. This is an activity where success needs to be measured in the journey not the location of a cache.:twocents:

Top Bottom