Any good recipes for venison loin (backstrap)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll try the steaks on the grill next time. I still have plenty of loin left.

This is just my attempt at using up most of the meat in my freezer before I deploy.

BTW, any recipes for pheasant? I went pheasant hunting last year and have some to use up. I've never cooked pheasant before but I've always heard that its great, arguably better than chicken even?

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    It seems most of us have pretty much the same method for backstraps. I like to put some flour in a bowl and mix in salt, pepper & garlic salt. I butterfly cut each peace of meat against the grain to tenderize it a bit more, roll it in the flour mix and cook in pre-heated oil with onions. If you get the oil nice and hot before dropping in the venison it will essentially sear the outside of the meat and lock the flavor in without drying it out. A-! steak sauce is my kids favorite dip for backstraps.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I'll try the steaks on the grill next time. I still have plenty of loin left.

This is just my attempt at using up most of the meat in my freezer before I deploy.

BTW, any recipes for pheasant? I went pheasant hunting last year and have some to use up. I've never cooked pheasant before but I've always heard that its great, arguably better than chicken even?

Got numerous pheasant recipes I've tried (KS resident for 12 yrs - it was cheaper than chicken!). Best and easiest is cut them up into cubes, mix heinz57 and honey 50:50 in a bowl, dip and baste cubes in that, then skewer and throw on the grill with some tomatoes, peppers and pineapple. Serve over wild rice. Don't share with anyone!

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    My favorite way to eat backstap was always breaded and fried. Served with some bacon and green beans. Mmmmmm

This is just about impossible to beat. Roll your slices in your favorite seasoned flour and fry it up in a cast skillet if you have one. There won't be any leftover's :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sorry for the delay in the update. Cooked the loin last night, marinaded in a concoction of soy, Worcestershire, garlic, pepper, lemon juice, and bro. sugar. Wrapped in Wright, hickory smoked bacon and convection baked for 1 hour at 325 then browned on the grill quickly. MIL didn't even know it was deer and after telling her it was deer she was quite impressed. She said it was really good.

I think I'm going to try grilled "filet mignon" style next time.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Keep in mind guys he is trying to get his wife to enjoy the flavor of venison. With that being said, I agree with most....its a prime cut of meat from a young deer as someone else put (rep coming). If you dont have to mess with it, dont! Grill it and eat it. Would you ask the chef to wrap your $40 filet in bacon? Would you ask for A1 for a $40 steak? Nope.....cook it right and itll be ohhh soooo goood!!!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    had some wonderful backstrap from a friends dinner for dinner tonight. On the grill with some worchester and bbq sauce.

He said his fav is breaded and fried.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Ok, so I'm "easing" my wife into venison.

Her first tasting of it was last December right after I finished butchering a young buck. We fried up the tenderloins fresh, right away. She said it was pretty good.

Tonight I pulled a half loin out of the freezer because it needs to be used. But I don't want to screw it up and turn her off of venison. So now I'm looking to you for help.

I read a recipe online where you wrap it in bacon and cover in a soy sauce/bro. sugar mixture and bake it. Sounded good, but the picture looked like a tenderloin, not a loin. Would this recipe still work well on a loin?

Any other favorite?

Don't be afraid to make it "complicated" or "above my abilities". I can cook just about anything given the right recipe/information.

There are no good recipes for venison loin. The stuff is terrible. If you feed it to your wife there is a high probability she will be angry with you. There is a decent chance that she may even divorce you.

Let me help save your marriage by taking that loin off your hands.

Venison jerky and summer sausage has also been known to put stress on marriages. If you have any of that on hand, I will take it also.

Let me help you. When you are old and gray and rocking in a chair next to your lovely wife, you will thank me for it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    While this thread is bumped I will say that I did the steaks on the grill the other night.

Fileted them like a filet mignon, wrapped a slice of bacon around them, marinaded them in W-sauce, EVOO, splash of lemon juice with some garlic, pepper, and basil mixed in and then grilled them.... WOW, literally just like a filet mignon steak... fantastic...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I marinate them in EVOO that warmed up rosemary and garlic in. Then grill with salt and pepper.

Otherwise this is good.

2 pounds venison backstrap, cut into 2-inch chunks
    1 quart apple cider
    1 1/2 pounds thick sliced bacon
    2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce, your choice
    Directions

Place chunks of venison into a shallow baking dish, and pour enough apple cider in to cover them. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove, and pat dry. Discard apple cider, and return venison to the dish. Pour barbeque sauce over the chunks, cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 more hours.
    Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Charcoal is best, but if you must, use gas. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes, or until no longer chilled. Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
    Brush the grill grate with olive oil when hot, and place venison pieces on the grill so they are not touching. The bacon will kick up some flames, so be ready. Grill, turning occasionally, until the bacon becomes slightly burnt, 15 to 20 minutes. The slower, the better. Dig in, and prepare to want more!

Top Bottom